Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

5 hours ago, Eightane said:

Well that's honestly great news. I suppose it's easy to see how the *first* Shelby bypass went so utterly wrong and assume there haven't been many lessons learned from it, esp. since it's by far not the only example of that brand of shortsightedness. Every time I drive through there on the way to Asheville I have to wonder just what they thought would happen with no contingency to keep retailers from morphing the speedy alt' into a gridlocked mess.

This was also a problem in Mecklenburg and Union counties. The original alignment of US 74 was Monroe Road/John Street/Old Charlotte Highway. The current US 74 was built as a faster alternative to old US 74. It was also a bypass around some of the smaller towns along the corridor, like Matthews, Indian Trail, and Monroe. But they were never designated as limited access, so development turned this entire stretch into crap. 

Something to keep in mind is that some of these original bypasses were built before the Interstate highway system even existed. The first Shelby bypass, for example, was built in the early 50's. Land use planning and control of access was not what they had in mind back then.

At least construction of the Monroe Expressway is proceeding as a reasonable rate. The new Shelby bypass started in 2013 and won't be finished until 2024, if funded. They're not paving the first section for another year. Heck, even the Asheboro bypass that will dump traffic back onto a two lane road was started last year and will be finished in 2020.

23 hours ago, Eightane said:

And this would be why I think most bypasses should be built limited-access or elsewise follow the rule of on/offramps that interstate highways abide by. If the purpose of building the bypass is to get long-distance travellers past congestion nodes or retail oceans, it makes absolutely no sense to me that many are built w/o provisions that keep those retailers from swarming the new alternative. It creates dead-zones in the old route when the bix boxes pack up shop and move to their sparkling new location on the new road, whereas when businesses are made to stay put because they aren't *allowed* to crowd the new road, they fall under the "natural business selection" they always should have been: if they're important enough to the local economy, they stay because people support that by buying from them, if they can't, they just weren't a feasible business or they used to be but fell out of that niche.

Newer businesses can then come in and take over old, vacant spaces on the older road, which also solves the problem of newcomers building seas of asphalt next to non-limited-access byways just because it's cheaper for them in some cases, or helps them "build to suit" because they're picky about their access orientation or how their building's shaped. Quality of travel and fast trips for their customers should trump all of their corporate philosophies on showmanship and idle personalization. The fact this wasn't nailed down as a concrete solution decades ago just makes me think people worship car culture even more than we mention and call to attention.

I agree. My main point, though, is that there are many businesses there today that exist due to demand created by through traffic. Certainly not all of them. I don't think that everything is going to close up overnight, but I do think there will be a net loss of existing businesses. The bulk of traffic will just continue through the area via the toll road until they find a gas station in Wingate (or wherever). Drivers are inherently lazy and don't typically venture farther than they can see from the highway. Either way, the reduction of traffic on 74 will result in fewer businesses.

16 hours ago, Third Strike said:

This was also a problem in Mecklenburg and Union counties. The original alignment of US 74 was Monroe Road/John Street/Old Charlotte Highway. The current US 74 was built as a faster alternative to old US 74. It was also a bypass around some of the smaller towns along the corridor, like Matthews, Indian Trail, and Monroe. But they were never designated as limited access, so development turned this entire stretch into crap. 

True - but the key difference is that it wasn't used to "bypass" our core business area and strangle the life out of local businesses, which is essentially what happened to many small towns. In Charlotte, the gradual conversion of 74 into a partially limited access highway and the state being too cheap to commit to a real interstate-level facility is what killed businesses.

Here are some photos I took today and yesterday of the Monroe Bypass 2. from US 74 near 485 and 1.  from Secrest Shortcut Road. On another note I don't think this bypass will suck the life out of the retail along US 74 today as most of that serves the rapidly growing population.  This will get the through traffic out of western Union County and most if not all of the truck traffic unless local. 

CAM07731.jpg

CAM07736.jpg

• Like 3

With all this talk of 74, and a recent trip to Texas (land of frontage roads), it makes me think of Johnston/521 south of 485 (through Ballantyne toward Lancaster)....which is essentially my home area.  Have y'all driven that lately?  It's horrid, and only getting worse.  It's the new Independence minus the car dealerships.  Is it too late to be saved?  I think so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grodney said:

With all this talk of 74, and a recent trip to Texas (land of frontage roads), it makes me think of Johnston/521 south of 485 (through Ballantyne toward Lancaster)....which is essentially my home area.  Have y'all driven that lately?  It's horrid, and only getting worse.  It's the new Independence minus the car dealerships.  Is it too late to be saved?  I think so.

Well, at least it doesn't have vast, hulking vacant shopping centers and the inability to turn left.

The unbridled growth south of the state line in Lancaster county is causing the traffic to worsen every day. All those jobs that move over the state line for incentives is causing a huge traffic log jam and there is no solution in sight. Maybe SC will build a bridge over the river to Dave Lyles Blvd and it would take some of that traffic off 521 but believe it will greatly worsen all these companies move over the state line. They forget to think most of their employees will continue to live in NC like those at Red Ventures, Compucom, etc. I think that the Indian Land area is not a good area for lots of jobs as it is too far from Interstates but SC keeps encouraging them to come. 

• Like 3

I think the first step should be establishing an express bus route through Ballantyne to Indian Land and Lancaster. That alone should help with congestion, even just a little. More far-off solutions could be creating a new highway alignment that connects NC/SC 75 to US 21 in Rock Hill. And this has been said ad infinitum but extending the Blue Line down to Ballantyne with a massive parking deck would also benefit commuters in southern Meck, Union, and Lancaster counties.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found this Monroe Bypass Hwy 74 NC DOT video and it looks like I will be able to avoid the toll going to Indian Trail barely by exiting off. I also notice the u-turns under the bridges like those found all over Texas. They are handy and reduce 2 left turns at a light. This video does make it easier to understand how it interacts with I-485. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I know nobody really likes these toll lanes but they will make traffic better on 77 north of Charlotte even if you don't pay. Check these videos out how they intersect with 277   I was wondering how this was coming together there. 

Here they are at the Oaklawn bridge that is being rebuilt now

• Like 4

Here are some shots of the toll lanes up 77 from Huntersville north to Lake Norman. They are making great progress on them. Some of the concrete barriers are gone which is a good thing. First 2 photos northbound and after the bridge shot then southbound 

DSCN2078.JPG

DSCN2079.JPG

DSCN2104.JPG

DSCN2105.JPG

DSCN2106.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Contract awarded for the next section of the Shelby Bypass. 

https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=13903

CHARLOTTE –The N.C. Department of Transportation has awarded a contract for a section of the U.S. 74 Bypass in Cleveland County, from east of N.C. 226 to east of N.C. 150, northeast of Shelby. The project will include a four-lane section of roadway on new location.

The $59 million contract was awarded to E.S. Wagner Company LLC of Piedmont, South Carolina. Construction on the 4.8-mile stretch can start as soon as June 26 with completion scheduled for May 15, 2022. Landscaping and planting can continue through Nov. 1, 2022.

Once completed, the U.S. 74 Bypass will be a four-lane, divided highway built to interstate standards. The new highway is designed to reduce congestion, improve safety and increase connectivity between Interstate 26 and Interstate 85.

Construction on the U.S. 74 Bypass started in July 2014.

This contract was one of 14 road, bridge and ferry projects recently awarded by the N.C. Department of Transportation. They were worth $186.8 million, and were awarded to the lowest qualified bidders as required by state law.

• Like 4

Planning for the 2045 MTP is underway. There's a lot of projects proposed in this draft. Here's a quick rundown of some of the major projects proposed for the Charlotte region between now and 2045:

• Interchange upgrades along I-85 in Charlotte. Mostly conversions to DDI's.
  • Widening of I-485 between I-85 to US 74 and I-85 to I-77 in South Charlotte with toll lanes.
  • Widening of I-77 from I-40 to US 21
  • And a loop around Waxhaw... for some reason.

Here's the map:

2045 MTP Candidate Roadway Projects Map

Here's the list of projects:

Projects

• Like 1

I think the Waxhaw loop is more like  another 2 lane around downtown due the fact you can not widen NC 75 through downtown because of the railroad track going straight through town. This is the areas's wishlist but probably only half of this will get built in this time frame. I think 485 widening and toll express lanes will start sooner rather than later. And dittos for 77 south of uptown. Here  is my idea for that route: 2-3 lanes each way double stacked on existing 77 and make them toll express lanes with limited interchanges down to 485. Let trucks be able to use them as well on the upper lanes. This arrangement is seen in various parts of Texas like San Antonio and Austin and Dallas. Just as people assume Lake Norman bound traffic will pay to go fast on the express lanes I think this would work to south Charlotte or SC suburbs as well. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2017 at 5:23 PM, Third Strike said:

Planning for the 2045 MTP is underway. There's a lot of projects proposed in this draft. Here's a quick rundown of some of the major projects proposed for the Charlotte region between now and 2045:

• Interchange upgrades along I-85 in Charlotte. Mostly conversions to DDI's.
  • Widening of I-485 between I-85 to US 74 and I-85 to I-77 in South Charlotte with toll lanes.
  • Widening of I-77 from I-40 to US 21
  • And a loop around Waxhaw... for some reason.

Here's the map:

2045 MTP Candidate Roadway Projects Map

Here's the list of projects:

Projects

I would add to the significant projects list for Charlotte:

• I-277 interchange modifications (It's listed as a widening project, but it's really closing some interchanges and improving others to reduce the weaving problem and improve traffic flow. This would also make more of the bridges and underpasses better for bikes and peds.

38 minutes ago, southslider said:

^The express lanes on 77 will include direct connections to/from 85 (to/from Greensboro, not Spartanburg), as well as 277 (to/from Brookshire, not Belk or NC-16).

The plans on the NCDOT website do not show direct connections to/from 85 Greensboro, is this something new they added?

^ how many $billions thrown away on projects that will have absolutely no lasting benefit? Congestion will be return to pre-improvement levels within two years of opening if current growth rates and patterns continue.

(its a rhetorical question, but I feel better having vented)

EDIT: I over looked the part about managed lanes (slinks off sheepishly....)

Edited by kermit

8 hours ago, southslider said:

^The express lanes on 77 will include direct connections to/from 85 (to/from Greensboro, not Spartanburg), as well as 277 (to/from Brookshire, not Belk or NC-16).

Thanks!

4 hours ago, kermit said:

^ how many $billions thrown away on projects that will have absolutely no lasting benefit? Congestion will be return to pre-improvement levels within two years of opening if current growth rates and patterns continue.

(its a rhetorical question, but I feel better having vented)

EDIT: I over looked the part about managed lanes (slinks off sheepishly....)

That's something to look forward to, but the roads are crumbling now. I mean third world crumbly.