Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

"growth can begin to regenerate in these areas and the growth around the Expressway’s interchanges provides new opportunities in distribution and logistics.  (Sprawl)

I wouldn't be so against these highways if they'd do as was done on a few out East of us beyond Raleigh. And, that is, elevate it in places to allow for what wildlife remains to pass under. Please tell me I'm wrong in assuming they haven't done so with this one. 

8 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

"growth can begin to regenerate in these areas and the growth around the Expressway’s interchanges provides new opportunities in distribution and logistics.  (Sprawl)

I wouldn't be so against these highways if they'd do as was done on a few out East of us beyond Raleigh. And, that is, elevate it in places to allow for what wildlife remains to pass under. Please tell me I'm wrong in assuming they haven't done so with this one. 

Looking over the maps on the NCDOT website, the only raised highway portions appear to be at intersecting roadways and a few of the larger creeks.

Looks like our government wants our opinion for the design of the future "gateway" bridge they're building across 85 in UCity.

The link for the concepts is http://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/I85NorthBridge.aspx

Feedback page: https://www.getfeedback.com/r/40dZhckb/

bebf53f9b496475d843e148b20125df60384512b-768.jpeg

I personally hate Design B--it seems like it was meant to be structural, but just looks poorly/cheaply designed. Maybe if some sort of canvas were on top, I could get behind if. But I just don't see the point. Reminds me of the ill-designed Catawba Avenue bridge over 77 in Cornelius.

D, while nice, isn't really any better than the bridge that was just built for University Pointe Blvd which is brick and looks pretty snazzy. So I wouldn't call it "gateway-esk."

A and C appear much more "grand" but I prefer the latter as it is more elegant. Now, if the Tree design (A) also came with the moniker "Charlotte-City of Trees" then that would be my pick. 99% of people out there don't know about Charlotte's lesser-known nickname.

IMO, C takes the cake

What I don't get is why they'd call this a "gateway" if it is three miles within city limits and none of these concepts have "Charlotte" written anywhere on them. To me, that is what would make it a gateway instead of a gaudy bridge.

EDIT:bad link

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuLukey said:

Looks like our government wants our opinion for the design of the future "gateway" bridge they're building across 85 in UCity.

The link for the concepts is http://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/I85NorthBridge.aspx

Feedback page: https://www.getfeedback.com/r/40dZhckb/

bebf53f9b496475d843e148b20125df60384512b-768.jpeg

I personally hate Design B--it seems like it was meant to be structural, but just looks poorly/cheaply designed. Maybe if some sort of canvas were on top, I could get behind if. But I just don't see the point. Reminds me of the ill-designed Catawba Avenue bridge over 77 in Cornelius.

D, while nice, isn't really any better than the bridge that was just built for University Pointe Blvd which is brick and looks pretty snazzy. So I wouldn't call it "gateway-esk."

A and C appear much more "grand" but I prefer the latter as it is more elegant. Now, if the Tree design (A) also came with the moniker "Charlotte-City of Trees" then that would be my pick. 99% of people out there don't know about Charlotte's lesser-known nickname.

IMO, C takes the cake

What I don't get is why they'd call this a "gateway" if it is three miles within city limits and none of these concepts have "Charlotte" written anywhere on them. To me, that is what would make it a gateway instead of a gaudy bridge.

EDIT:bad link

I like D because it has "CHARLOTTE" across it. If they would put "CHARLOTTE" on C, it would be my choice. I like C because, as you say, it feels more grand. I'm torn between C or D.

• Like 1

I like D because it has "CHARLOTTE" across it. If they would put "CHARLOTTE" on C, it would be my choice. I like C because, as you say, it feels more grand. I'm torn between C or D.

WOW, those letters are so tiny I didn't even notice them! Okay, so that one is a little better now that I know that. But they need to make the letters way more prominent.
  • Like 1

When you are going less than 20 miles per hour you can get some good photos. I-77 toll lane project. I was coming back from Rocky Face in Alexander County so these photos go from the north to the south starting around around MP 31 to just north of I-485. They are making great progress and it seems to be substantially done around Huntersville. 

First photo got out of order this near Cornelius. 

DSCN2835.JPG

DSCN2833.JPG

DSCN2834.JPG

DSCN2836.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

The draft 2045 MTP project list is now available for public comment (July 20 to August 2):

http://www.2045mtp.org/projects/

I must be reading the Horizon year 2025 table, it feels like they are doing lots of double counting (e.g. cheating) by including projects which are already underway and paid for. The only two transit projects on the 2025 list are the completion of the BLE and Phase 2 of the Gold Line (hmmmm.).

The bike and ped projects also look kinda underwhelming at a glance. A couple of things that caught my eye were:

1) Bike lanes on both sides of Matheson ave from Tryon to Plaza

2) EB-5820 says "Expand Charlotte B-Cycle program"

[as an aside I have seen lots more B-cycle use this week than I ever did last year before I left town]

Everyones favorite highway to hate but it will soon be better. I-77 north just south of exit 25 and the lake crossing north of exit 30.  Just having the concrete barriers gone in several sections makes it better and safer. 

DSCN3589.JPG

DSCN3590.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

From north of exit 23 to exit 28 2 free 2 toll from exit 28 north to exit 36 2 free 1 toll due to the lake. It will be a little wider more lanes closer to town. No free lanes are being lost except existing HOV lane north/south. 

Edited by KJHburg
clarification
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Up to exit 28 2 free 2 toll from exit 28 north to exit 36 2 free 1 toll due to the lake. It will be a little wider more lanes closer to town. No free lanes are being lost except existing HOV lane north/south. 

That's not true. Right now from just south of exit 23 there are already 3 free and 1 HOV Lane. After construction there will be 2 free and 2 toll lanes. There will be a LOSS of one free lane for almost 9 miles.

On 7/22/2017 at 3:12 PM, kermit said:

I must be reading the Horizon year 2025 table, it feels like they are doing lots of double counting (e.g. cheating) by including projects which are already underway and paid for. The only two transit projects on the 2025 list are the completion of the BLE and Phase 2 of the Gold Line (hmmmm.).

The bike and ped projects also look kinda underwhelming at a glance. A couple of things that caught my eye were:

1) Bike lanes on both sides of Matheson ave from Tryon to Plaza

2) EB-5820 says "Expand Charlotte B-Cycle program"

[as an aside I have seen lots more B-cycle use this week than I ever did last year before I left town]

I'm going to disagree with this because it's not accurate. Projects get funded over the course of several fiscal years, not just one. While they are not "new" projects, what you're seeing is how things actually get paid for.

The lack of bike/ped projects is more a reflection of the lack of funding from NCDOT than anything else- specifically their policy to not fund bike/ped projects. Of course, this is just the MTP. There are other short term funding sources that pay for most of the bike/ped projects that are funded at the MPO level (CMAQ, STP-DA, etc). On top of that, bike/ped projects are generally funded by local governments, not the state.

• Like 1

No free lanes except the existing HOV lane which will be HOV and toll lane are being converted to toll. Check out the video and they show all the current lanes and 2 new additional express lanes south of exit 28.  I hate toll roads personally but these are popping up all over the country in Orange County, Dallas, Atlanta etc. I miss spoke before I meant from exit 23-28 there will be 2 free 2 toll each direction, south of 23 there will be 2 toll 3 free.  This video is the best way I have seen to explain it. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Starve the road network of revenue for expansion, and then flood it with new development, tolls are the only way to expand.   I just hope the spoiled LKN residents acting like brats wanting free stuff to fix their lifestyle flaws don't ruin managed lane plans in the rest of the city.  

Freeway expansions to sprawling exurbs are the very definition of moral hazard.  

I'm happy with the designs at the 277/Brookshire interchange, but do wish they had taken the chance to make 2 northbound exit lanes since there is always constant lane cutting that causes an accident risk.  At least make it normal and have them zipper merge on the entrance ramp. 

Until I oriented my mind to the map, I briefly thought they were magically adding a bridge from NCMF Blvd to Martin Blvd by JCSU.  It would be great to have that added cross town connectivity, but then I realized I as looking at the existing Hamilton St bridge. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Plus tolls are waived for hov right? Those hov lanes were bs with 0 enforcement.

Yes tolls are waived for HOVs   they are discussing whether to drop the requirement from 3 to 2 for the new lanes. 

As much as I hate toll roads we here in Charlotte better get used to them. Next up express lanes toll for I-485 between 77 and Hwy 74 and also planned on 77 south from uptown to 485. 

Remember Raleigh already has a completely toll expressway 540 south from RTP to Cary and it will continue all the way around southside of Raleigh. 

• Like 1

^Except HOVs will need a transponder in their vehicle and then set it to carpool mode to travel in the Express Lanes without any toll.  Otherwise, their plate will be snapped and they'll be mailed a bill for the going rate at the time of their travel, plus administrative fees for not using a pass.

Edited by southslider
  • Like 2

Speaking of I-485 express lanes according to NCDOT they will start work this year. https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/I-5507/

Basically 1 toll express lane in each direction but new express lane only exits at Westinghouse Blvd and another special ramps for express lanes at 521/Johnston Rd with their own bridges and ramps. And new exit at Weddington Rd next to Siskey Y for all. 

• Like 1