Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

couple of photos on the Monroe Bypass toll road.  It is really coming along I saw the automatic toll collectors today from Secrest Shortcut Road near Indian Trail.  First 3 photos from US 74 right outside of Marshville in eastern Union County last 2 photos of the toll road from Secrest Shortcut Rd in Indian Trail Hemby Bridge area.   I look forward to driving on this to bypass Monroe once and for all even with a toll. 

IMG_6090.JPG

IMG_6091.JPG

IMG_6092.JPG

IMG_6093.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

• Like 4

^^^ Of course there will be but there are only 6 exits between the start and end of the tollway.  I took my photos above at exit 8 the end near Marshville and by exit 3 and where it crosses over Secrest Shortcut.    Here is the map for reference.  https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/monroeconnector/download/ProjectMap.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

You really think so? I sure hope so.

I think the lack of a true freeway is what’s holding back growth in Monroe. I think it’s no coincidence that the areas in Union County that are exploding in growth happen to be close to the nearest interstate.

And I’m hoping CATS utilizes the bypass for faster express buses from Uptown to Monroe. If toll roads and lanes are going to exist in the metro, then we should at least utilize them for our benefit. 

2 hours ago, Third Strike said:

I think the lack of a true freeway is what’s holding back growth in Monroe. I think it’s no coincidence that the areas in Union County that are exploding in growth happen to be close to the nearest interstate.

And I’m hoping CATS utilizes the bypass for faster express buses from Uptown to Monroe. If toll roads and lanes are going to exist in the metro, then we should at least utilize them for our benefit. 

Here's the rub: do we "want" that kind of bedroom- community (suburban) growth?

Or, lacking that viable freeway to Union county, would that same growth just continue to go to SC, Cabarrus, and the lake towns, and just make their highways worse?

By that logic, then, we're better off doing the southwest corridor properly, as opposed to the other corridors.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, southslider said:

^What freeway?  485?  74 has signals except a small section near the county line. And the new bypass ain't free.  Union remains the post populous county in NC with zero interstate highways.

It would be up to interstate standards, And freeway doesn’t necessarily mean it’s free... Technically it’s a turnpike or a toll road.

Not sure if this is the right thread...feel free to move if another spot is better.

Can someone help me find trusted data to show the total transportation spending split by state and federal dollars by county in North Carolina over the last 20 years?   10 years?   

The question comes from interest driven by overheard rants about how Charlotte "gets all the dollars".    Any / all information is appreciated that can support or refute the statement  "Over the last 20 years, Charlotte has received the majority of funding and new construction projects in the state"

One reason I'm particularly interested is I've heard the exact opposite statement made, lamenting "excessive" dollars spent in eastern NC.   It's all anecdotal, I'd love to see what story the data supports.  Thanks in advance for your help. 

7 hours ago, WCUP said:

Not sure if this is the right thread...feel free to move if another spot is better.

Can someone help me find trusted data to show the total transportation spending split by state and federal dollars by county in North Carolina over the last 20 years?   10 years?   

The question comes from interest driven by overheard rants about how Charlotte "gets all the dollars".    Any / all information is appreciated that can support or refute the statement  "Over the last 20 years, Charlotte has received the majority of funding and new construction projects in the state"

One reason I'm particularly interested is I've heard the exact opposite statement made, lamenting "excessive" dollars spent in eastern NC.   It's all anecdotal, I'd love to see what story the data supports.  Thanks in advance for your help. 

I'm pretty sure the Raleigh News & Observer did something like this several years ago. They had a spreadsheet that broke out dollars spent by NCDOT per county and per capita over the past x years. I can't remember the exact details, and I have no idea if you could find it today either.

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but definitely the closest active topic I saw.

Anyone know what's going on with the Graham St/Mallard Creek Rd/University City Blvd extensions?  I drive through this area all the time and haven't seen any signs of progress in literally almost forever.  It's really frustrating because there have been bottlenecks on Graham St, Sugar Creek Rd, and Mallard Creek Rd for YEARS due to how long this is taking, and it's not getting any better with continued development adding to the amount of traffic in the area. 

I have to wonder, if this was in south Charlotte, would it be taking so long?

• Like 3

On 3/11/2018 at 8:23 PM, kermit said:

anybody have a number for the total construction cost of 485? I can only find bits and pieces of data (I heard $540 million for the final phase). I sure would like to compare 485's cost to the transit plan.

Here's a project breakdown map of the western portion (R-2248). Note that it does not include the turbine interchange with 85 on the northern side (R-2123CE), which was around $100M itself. I'm not sure how the southeastern/eastern sections were split up, but R-2123 appears to be the project number. Not sure about additional interchanges and any widening either. I'm bad at math, but it's more than half a billion dollars just for that side.

It will be hard to get exact numbers without digging up the contracts. Even then that is only the construction costs and doesn't include planning/design, R/W and utilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1