Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

1 hour ago, sakami said:

I went out to Extreme Ice Center this weekend and google maps sent me on the bypass. But the map instructions told me to get off at Indian-Trail Rd while the road signage had a completely different name, something with an H. Has Indian-Trail been renamed? 

Yes I was confused too.   They use only the town names so the first exit says Hemby Bridge, the next one where I was expecting Unionville Indian Trail road just says Lake Park not even Indian Trail.    I think they should use road names too.  

• Like 3

Pretty much everything I saw is good projects. Nothing stuck out as pet projects that are unnecessary.

For areas I'm especially familiar with, the projects slated are things that people constantly talk about. "They need to widen this" "this needs sidewalks" "that needs a turn lane" there needs to be a traffic light at that intersection" and so on

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

The Rockingham Bypass is also listed 

And it is well underway and will get opened in phases. Sadly the bypass received really low project scores (for whatever stupid reason) so it might be 10 years before completion. Gotta love bureaucracy and incompetent planning.

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

INTERSTATE PROJECTS I-77 
SECTION A - RIGHT-OF-WAY GARVEE BOND FUNDING = $183M, PAYBACK FY 2025 - FY 2039
I-571810838655000 SOUTH CAROLINA STATE LINE TO I277/NC 16 (BROOKSHIRE FREEWAY).  WIDEN EXISTING FREEWAY TO TEN LANES BY CONSTRUCTING MANAGED LANES, RECONSTRUCT I-277 INTERCHAnges 

I'm reading that like $183m is required JUST for the ROW expansion. The cost of fixing 77 South is going to be mind boggling

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I'm reading that like $183m is required JUST for the ROW expansion. The cost of fixing 77 South is going to be mind boggling

i might be wrong but isn’t it supposed to cost something like a 1 billion for the 77south widening? Every bridge and interchange has to be rebuilt. 

I cant imagine how bad 77south will be by the time they start construction. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

It is going to be very expensive but nothing has been done with it in 20 plus years.  However it is a prime candidate for tolled express lanes. 

My idea was this: do a second level of 3 lanes in each direction and make those the toll lanes with limited exits until Woodlawn or Tyvola then have them merge back in around 485.  Basically double decker the highway from 277 south to Nations Ford. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

It is going to be very expensive but nothing has been done with it in 20 plus years.  However it is a prime candidate for tolled express lanes. 

My idea was this: do a second level of 3 lanes in each direction and make those the toll lanes with limited exits until Woodlawn or Tyvola then have them merge back in around 485.  Basically double decker the highway from 277 south to Nations Ford. 

I used to think of proposals for double decker freeways in the southeast as pie in the sky until I visited Dallas and drove on the LBJ TEXpress lanes. It could definitely work here (minus the frontage roads).  Fortunately for I-77 commuters, I-485 is a legitimate bypass for Charlotte thru traffic that has bought NCDOT time to get this proposed widening of I-77 right. 

Edited by Seaboard Fellow
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Filed under "but what about all the good things mccrory did?" - how do people feel the NCDOT scoring system is working so far? Are there still ineffective political projects slipping through? 

I haven't seen much written about changes that have resulted from the scoring system, but it does _feel_ like its done a good job of reducing spending on new interstate quality roads to nowhere (e.g. Columbus county).

The thing that has greatly annoyed me about the system is that it was intended to score transit projects as well as road projects. It turns out that transit projects score pretty well in the system. The NCGA response to this was to either ignore the transit project scores or put up artificial roadblocks to funding them.  It seems like the system has taken some of the politics out of the 'where to spend' question but it certainly has not eliminated all of the anti-urban bias in the process (at least in terms of mode choice).

http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2018/05/30/without-coming-right-out-and-saying-it-proposed-budget-could-kill-light-rail-in-north-carolina/

• Like 4