monsoon

Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

Recommended Posts

On 1/11/2019 at 5:46 PM, tozmervo said:

Filed under "but what about all the good things mccrory did?" - how do people feel the NCDOT scoring system is working so far? Are there still ineffective political projects slipping through? 

I started questioning the metrics used for the scoring system after this round of prioritization (P5.0). The example I'll use is a new project (R-5873) that was added to realign the US 74/NC 108 interchange in Columbus, Polk County. It was the only project in Division 14 to receive funding in the "statewide" projects category, and ranked higher than widening I-26 in neighboring Henderson County (which did receive regional funding). I'm not saying this project isn't needed, but how the heck did it rank so high and receive "statewide mobility" funding? It's not like it's a particularly busy or congested area.

It does seem like the scoring system isn't favoring the ridiculous proposal for I-87 through northeastern NC, but I guarantee you funding will show up from somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned that the I-85 widening projects in Gaston and Cleveland counties have been delayed. As proposed, it will now be a decade before it's widened all the way to SC.
 

  • I-5719: US 321 TO NC 273. WIDEN TO EIGHT LANES. TO ASSIST IN BALANCING FUNDS, RIGHT OF WAY DELAYED FROM FY 21 TO FY 23 AND CONSTRUCTION DELAYED FROM FY 21 TO FY 23.
  • I-5985: SOUTH CAROLINA STATE LINE TO US 321. ADD ADDITIONAL LANES. TO ASSIST IN BALANCING FUNDS, RIGHT OF WAY FOR SEGMENT A DELAYED FROM FY 24 TO FY 25 AND CONSTRUCTION FOR SEGMENT A DELAYED FROM FY 25 TO FY 28. BASED ON RESULTS OF P5.0, SEGMENT B ADDED WITH RIGHT OF WAY IN FY 25 AND CONSTRUCTION IN FY 28.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cowboy_wilhelm said:

I'm not saying this project isn't needed, but how the heck did it rank so high and receive "statewide mobility" funding? It's not like it's a particularly busy or congested area.

Statewide Mobility just means it was an eligible project on a strategic corridor. These include all Interstates, plus key expressway corridors, like US 74 and US 321.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know best practice to manage tolls with rental cars? Rental companies tend to pile on extra charges, but from what I can tell transponders aren't supposed to be moved from car to car (for some reason?). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Does anyone know best practice to manage tolls with rental cars? Rental companies tend to pile on extra charges, but from what I can tell transponders aren't supposed to be moved from car to car (for some reason?). 

Dunno about best practice but most foreign rentals come with transponders and tolls automatically (eventually) get billed to the cc you used to pay for the rental. Its easy for the consumer, but there is not much transparency so lots of potential for extra fees to be tacked on. The lack of standardization of US transponders probably makes this strategy difficult/impossible in the US. 

(apologies, I realized I typed out a pointless post once I got to that last sentence. I hate it when my procrastination impacts other people)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Does anyone know best practice to manage tolls with rental cars? Rental companies tend to pile on extra charges, but from what I can tell transponders aren't supposed to be moved from car to car (for some reason?). 

I have a suction cup holder for my hard-case transponder to go back and forth between vehicles. Used it in FL with a rental with no issues. Are you supposed to do that? No, but I figure the likelihood of it being an issue is minimal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2019 at 5:17 PM, southslider said:

Statewide Mobility just means it was an eligible project on a strategic corridor. These include all Interstates, plus key expressway corridors, like US 74 and US 321.

Apparently realigning that interchange will result in 809,000 hours in travel time savings over 10 years?! I guess that's why it was ranked so high....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, cowboy_wilhelm said:

Apparently realigning that interchange will result in 809,000 hours in travel time savings over 10 years?! I guess that's why it was ranked so high....

I believe it. US 321 from Gastonia to Hickory is  north south bypass of I-77 and the truck traffic is incredible.  It is a way to get up to I-40 and points north and west much quicker than 77.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was on 85 S yesterday headed to Belmont and noticed they removed the far left lane for about 1/4 to 1/2 mile before it used to end. I guess it makes people merge sooner instead of waiting till the very end to merge.  Has this helped at all?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 10:29 AM, cowboy_wilhelm said:

I started questioning the metrics used for the scoring system after this round of prioritization (P5.0). The example I'll use is a new project (R-5873) that was added to realign the US 74/NC 108 interchange in Columbus, Polk County. It was the only project in Division 14 to receive funding in the "statewide" projects category, and ranked higher than widening I-26 in neighboring Henderson County (which did receive regional funding). I'm not saying this project isn't needed, but how the heck did it rank so high and receive "statewide mobility" funding? It's not like it's a particularly busy or congested area.

 

On 1/15/2019 at 5:15 PM, cowboy_wilhelm said:

Apparently realigning that interchange will result in 809,000 hours in travel time savings over 10 years?! I guess that's why it was ranked so high....

 

On 1/15/2019 at 5:33 PM, KJHburg said:

I believe it. US 321 from Gastonia to Hickory is  north south bypass of I-77 and the truck traffic is incredible.  It is a way to get up to I-40 and points north and west much quicker than 77.

I was referring to the US 74/NC 108 interchange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone keeping an eye on how Atlanta handles adding the express and managed toll lanes on 285 and 400 things are getting interesting. The cities of Dunwoody and Sandy Springs keep scheduling public meetings with the Georgia DOT to understand how much land acquisition will be involved or how high the lanes will be elevated above the current highway and they are constantly getting stonewalled and told that there are no plans drawn or any decisions made. But many homeowners who live along the highways have been offered buyouts and shown copies of plans according to articles that have come out this week. It certainly feels like a lesson in what not to do when the state starts the process on 77 South 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should they remove all the street parking on Tryon Uptown? Traffic is getting crazy during busy times, those few cars parking on the street can park in any of the parking garages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

Should they remove all the street parking on Tryon Uptown? Traffic is getting crazy during busy times, those few cars parking on the street can park in any of the parking garages. 

I’d be fine with that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes and close off that area for street vendors and benches etc... I'd prefer just to close the street but I know how the city worships all streets. Even one's that cut through the middle of a new park.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

Should they remove all the street parking on Tryon Uptown? Traffic is getting crazy during busy times, those few cars parking on the street can park in any of the parking garages. 

I dont think so as it makes traffic go slower and besides we need accessible quick parking close to all the restaurants and so forth uptown.  I live in the suburbs and come uptown a lot considering I don't work there full time and parking is always a consideration.  LYNX works sometimes for me but not usually due to the need to go somewhere else from uptown. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

Should they remove all the street parking on Tryon Uptown? Traffic is getting crazy during busy times, those few cars parking on the street can park in any of the parking garages. 

Definitely not, uptown would become a dragstrip and pedestrian traffic would all but disappear.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.