Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

This road, toll road or not, adds no value whatsoever.

...Unless you're David Hoyle (D) and Robert Pittenger ,( R ), who bought up a bunch of land it its path years ago.

This road really is a shame and a sham. One of my long-time customer's family business was shut down a couple of years ago because of it. They had been in business for over 50 years.

Edited by Windsurfer

• 1 month later...

I can't believe this project was approved. What a joke. Where are are the traffic jams in Gaston county again? What kills me is that if it were a light rail or commuter rail project that was of topic the Observer's gang of NIMBY's would've filled up 25+ pages of comments protesting it, it's a waste of tax money, it doesn't promote development, blah blah blah. This road, toll road or not, adds no value whatsoever.

Amen and Amen!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/04/04/3148659/garden-parkway-update-on-track.html

I'm surprised no one brought this up. The O refers to it as embattled and talks about all the power players that want to kill it. I just hope if it is put off, that any money will stay in the Charlotte metro. We need the investments and capacity, even if they are lower priority. The fact is, Garden Parkway may be theoretically needed, but no where near what is needed elsewhere in the region.

I am glad that NCDOT seems to be using HOT (High Occupany/Toll) lanes for Independence and 77 in North Meck. I like tolls for commuters from the exurbs, because otherwise, those types of commuters often use expensive infrastructure while avoiding to pay for it.

^I agree that it be theoretically needed in the future, but the design is still half-assed. The portion west of US 321 is one lane in each direction, however that suggests that traffic will be light along that portion. If the design allows the Garden Parkway to connect to US 321 seamlessly north of Gastonia and upgrade US 321 also it just might work.

While I'm still on half-assed NCDOT ideas, has anyone see the I-77 HOT/HOV feasibility study? http://www.mumpo.org...bilityStudy.pdf?

If NCDOT is going to add HOV/HOT ramps for the Brookshire and I-85/I-77 interchanges, why can't they just rebuild them from scratch also? Instead of adding flyovers and adding complexity to those dated interchanges.

Edited by Shawn&Zae

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/04/17/3179021/freeways-no-longer-highway-tolls.html

Now that tolls can be collected with out congestion- and pollution-causing toll booths, I am loving the trend toward tollways and toll lanes. I most prefer the toll lanes because they allow for expansion of a road where the new capacity can be paid for by the 'extra' users whereas the original lanes remain free as before along with the congestion that 'free' causes.

People do not like paying for roads, and often very foolishly would rather pay for someone else's roads by going to SC to buy gas and so on. And what most people don't realize is that most urban states are paying more for the rural states (Montana or Idaho) where the freeways are long and sometimes expensive (in the mountains) but do not have a whole lot of users. So then what comes back to your home state and what stays in your home state ends up being insufficient to cover costs.

What is also interesting is that people focus on the tax portion as the cause of the high gas costs, simply because that is the most prominent reason for differences across state lines. But ironically, if the gas tax were raised significantly, we would end up with less volatility and impact, as we would move further along the elasticity curve and have lower demand, thus when crude oil and refined gas prices rise, consumers needing fewer units of gas would be impacted less. And society would then be able to cover street improvements like sidewalks, bike lanes, and congestion mitigation to help reduce demand even further. But the same people who fight that use high gas prices and high gas taxes as a demagogic argument that serves to exacerbate our addiction.

I have now been car-free for 5 years. I occasionally rent cars for trips, and I often end up carpooling with friends to go places. But very often I force myself to walk or take the bus or bike to places, even when it is slightly uncomfortable. Guess how much I care when I see people bitching about the high gas prices or high gas taxes.

Tolls, though, allow for the most important and expensive of freeway projects to get back some user fees like mass transit does, and both adds to the revenue side for infrastructure, and modestly reduces demand by pricing the use more than $0-forever like most interstates. That said, I would love transit to be $0-forever, and have society bending over backwards to keep that as true as possible.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.charlotte...roe-bypass.html

I have mixed feelings about this development. It seems they did some shady things to hide actual environmental impacts. On the flip side, I do like to see progress in infrastructure.

Hopefully the delay will allow for proper study and mitigation of the issues and that it'll be a lesson preventing other misleading reports.

This isn't the first time NCDOT has misled the public with Environmental Impact Statements/Reports. About a decade ago, I-26 was proposed to be widened in Henderson County, with the contract ready to be let as a design-build project. I can't remember what was or was not included in the environmental report, but an environmental group sued and the judge ruled against NCDOT. (Basing this all off memory. Need to look up the details.) Now the widening is another decade away.

Edit/Correction: NCDOT did not complete an EIS for the project when they should have:

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20060524/NEWS/605240319

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20060602/NEWS/606020354

Edited by cowboy_wilhelm

https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/pio/releases/details.aspx?r=6420

The Flickr page is linked at the bottom of the press release.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ncdot/7139751333/in/set-72157625513104151

Looks good. I don't drive much anymore, but a while back I passed that bridge a lot and always held my breath. I'm very glad this stretch is progressing.

• 2 weeks later...

Some news on US-Route 74 in Charlotte and Shelby:

Firstly, looks like construction on Independence Blvd will be delayed until December or possibly even next year. NCDOT wants to come up with a new alternative design, since LRT/BRT were dropped from running down the middle of Independence. It's kind of ironic, since the Monroe Bypass was delayed as well.

Also, construction of the first segment of the Shelby bypass will start next year. The first section will likely be open to the public by late 2014, or early 2015.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/change-design-independence-blvd-project-may-delay-/nN7C3/

http://www.shelbystar.com/articles/shelby-64105-bypass-work.html

I really think they should preserve the LRT/BRT corridor and continue to build the reserved lane for express buses. That corridor is going to need mass transit eventually and that is the only place there is really room for it. Despite what one study said, transit in the center of highways works well in many places, although not ideal for development, it moves people. Maybe preserve the corridor for adding heavy rail to Matthews and Monroe one day or build the silver line as planned when finnancial times improve.

I really think they should preserve the LRT/BRT corridor and continue to build the reserved lane for express buses. That corridor is going to need mass transit eventually and that is the only place there is really room for it. Despite what one study said, transit in the center of highways works well in many places, although not ideal for development, it moves people. Maybe preserve the corridor for adding heavy rail to Matthews and Monroe one day or build the silver line as planned when finnancial times improve.

I agree. I was fond of LRT or BRT running down Independence. It reminded me of the Gold line in Pasadena CA, which also had Light Rail running down the median of I-210. I think the only other solution for mass transit for this corridor is either a Street Car down Monroe, or maybe Light/Heavy rail that utilizes the CSX railroad line (I don't know how plausible this is).

Why does Shelby get another bypass when they royally fudged up the one they had?

I believe the original bypass was created sometime in the 1950s/1960s. I suppose back then it acted as an effective bypass, but they didn't plan very well for the future, especially when they didn't make it a controlled-access highway.

maybe Light/Heavy rail that utilizes the CSX railroad line (I don't know how plausible this is).

Running commuter trains over the CSX would require multiple sidings to be added if not double track from Uptown Charlotte to Monroe. Also the CSX/NS seperation project doesn't include a direct track from the NS and Gateway Station trackage to the CSX track that heads out to Monroe so this would have to be fixed unless the commuter trains do a wye type move when coming/leaving Gateway Station.

The same could be said of Charlotte about screwing up our bypasses with 50s/60s-style auto-oriented trashy businesses. Independence was ours. At the end of the day, Shelby is a bottleneck on the way to the mountains, and ought to have a freeway connection, regardless of whether the current 74 was originally intended for through traffic. Same goes for Monroe, as the traffic on both of those stretches of 74 is maddening when you're trying to get somewhere.

Running commuter trains over the CSX would require multiple sidings to be added if not double track from Uptown Charlotte to Monroe. Also the CSX/NS seperation project doesn't include a direct track from the NS and Gateway Station trackage to the CSX track that heads out to Monroe so this would have to be fixed unless the commuter trains do a wye type move when coming/leaving Gateway Station.

Commuter rail on the CSX falls into the 'never gonna happen' category for me. Despite that, given the grade speration plans, a CSX station at Alpha Mill (where the BLE will cross over the CSX) combined with a BLE station might make as much sense as running to Gateway (given the cost of a CSX/NCRR connection post-grade seperation). The Alpha station would certainly be cheaper, just about as close to Tryon and Trade as Gateway (by foot) and would provide direct access to the blue line (rather than the streetcar).

There is nothing more emblematic of 'world city status' than multiple rail termini.

I drove across the new I-85 Yadkin River crossing yesterday evening. That is a loooooong bridge! It was also nice knowing I wasn't going to fall into the river.

Also drove through Shelby. As big of a PITA as usual! I can't wait for the bypass. I just hope they don't get half-way around and stop funding. I'm sure the Walmart distribution center will love it too (part of their deal when they located there . . . many years ago.)

Edited by cowboy_wilhelm