Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

I know you know that NoDa is North Davidson, which describes the street which forms the axis of that area, calling an area of central Charlotte "north" and not referring to where north it is in the city is a bit lacking.

And I know you know that North Charlotte is the historical name for the area. So what is your point? I gave my opinion on what I think should happen to the area and you proclaimed that people are too ignorant these days to allow something like that from happening. So because of that it is ok to have a pretensious name that has no bearing for the neighborhood that it is supposed to describe. It was a elementary school attempt to create an identity for an area that did not need an artifical one created for it. (Though in the process it is helping to destroy it)

I have to say I agree with metro. North Charlotte works much better for me. I still have a hard time saying "NoDa" simply because it seems so "invented". And Rip Farris' idea of branding his develpment in Optimist Park as "SoDa" is really disturbing. South Davidson is, well, SOUTH of East Trade.

Stay with history on this, CCCP.

I have to say I agree with metro. North Charlotte works much better for me. I still have a hard time saying "NoDa" simply because it seems so "invented". And Rip Farris' idea of branding his develpment in Optimist Park as "SoDa" is really disturbing. South Davidson is, well, SOUTH of East Trade.

Stay with history on this, CCCP.

SoDa???!?? Haha, that would be uber lame! Maybe we could use that name to lure CocaCola's and Pepsi's headquarters and start a carbonated beverage district.

I mistakenly started another thread on this, not seeing this topic: why are Charlotte's highways lined by burned-out (?)/dark streetlights? Can't SOMEBODY allocate money in a budget and get someone to change the lightbulbs?

Just seems odd and a waste of money to have paid to build the lightposts if they aren't used.

The issue is that the electrical system deteriorates and no longer functions. It isn't the bulbs, but the wires. But you can't tear up the freeway just to add lighting. Personally, I'm not bothered by the lack of lights as some people are, but I do think it is emblematic of the lack of accountability some contractors have. We should be requiring that the contractors bond or insure their work somehow, so that we actually get the benefit of what we pay for for a certain length of time. It is outright ridiculous how fast these lights fail.

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to wirelessly transmit power? Is that a crazy question? There are some articles online about Teslas attempts to do this, but is it something that happens anywhere? Also, is there anything that can actually make the road glow? It just seems that the traditional approach of wires, poles and bulbs just doesn't cut it anymore.

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to wirelessly transmit power? Is that a crazy question? There are some articles online about Teslas attempts to do this, but is it something that happens anywhere? Also, is there anything that can actually make the road glow? It just seems that the traditional approach of wires, poles and bulbs just doesn't cut it anymore.

I had read of a way to wirelessly "transmit" power before, it has issues when interfered with (ie birds or objects in general.) Afterall, you're just sending electrons across space. The best modern way on an interstate would be to develop slow burn electric generators that run off collected carbon monoxide. Solar powered lights are really the only cool "new" way of lighting our streets and they have limits as well.

If it were possible to put that glow-in-the-dark material in pavement, that would probably mess with people who are used to normal pavement a little too much. I don't really know how well it would work although that is an interesting idea to think on.

...... but I do think it is emblematic of the lack of accountability some contractors have. We should be requiring that the contractors bond or insure their work somehow, so that we actually get the benefit of what we pay for for a certain length of time. It is outright ridiculous how fast these lights fail. ......

If that is the case, I put the blame directly on the lap of the NCDOT. They are the agency who chooses the contractors and is responsible for inspecting the work to make sure it is done properly so that good use was made of the taxpayers money. They obviously have problems with this as a short drive down I-77 in SC shows a radically different highway in terms of quality.

If that is the case, I put the blame directly on the lap of the NCDOT. They are the agency who chooses the contractors and is responsible for inspecting the work to make sure it is done properly so that good use was made of the taxpayers money. They obviously have problems with this as a short drive down I-77 in SC shows a radically different highway in terms of quality.

I would agree- how in the world could somebody approve construction that would certainly fall apart eventually (like most anything would) but that could not be repaired?

I-77 and Brookshire are one thing, but the fact that there are light poles on Independence that have been downed by cars--five years ago--and have never been replaced is what drives me crazy.

I can accept the wiring issue for lighting that was installed in 1969, but lack of maintenance on lights that aren't even 10 years old is ridiculous.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread but...

If you drive south on 77 just before you get to the LaSalle St. bridge and I think just after the pedestrian overpass, you'll notice two light poles, (one on each side of the highway). You'll also notice that these fixtures have a solar panel fixed to them. I visited the company who is running this test for a state contract to run all the fixtures on 277 and 77 thru uptown on solar panels. He seemed pretty positive that the funding is there and that he would be awarded the contract. I have no time line for this but at least a move in the right direction is being attempted. This is a great application for solar, and personally I believe it will be fixed.

I talked to the person doing the test and of course he seemed very positive. Personally when I drive thru there at around 645am the solar fixtures don't seem to be as bright. My biggest question to him was the battery life. Battery life was nearly up to 5 years, but I could see the state letting the contract lapse on the batteries and we'd be in the dark in 5 more years. Maybe I'm just too much of a pessimist.

The street light issue is definitely one of my pet peeves where NCDOT's neglect of Charlotte-area highways is concerned. Well, that and the trash. The lights have been a problem for many years, since WAY before there was ever a budget crunch in Raleigh, which they conveniently blame for it now. Really? Why weren't the lights fixed/maintained when there WAS money? They seem to look at street lights as some sort of luxury, as opposed to a basic safety issue in high-traffic urban areas.

I don't understand why they can't just run the power down the middle of the interstate with the concrete divider. Can't they run the lines in a pipe of some sort and then put it inside of an easily replaced concrete encasement?

I always thought they should be able to as well. It theoretically would make sense.

We should hold a streetlight protect at NCDOT offices. This is an outrage.

Speaking of which, I was driving along N Tryon between Concord and Univ City and all the lights were completely black, including the ones telling which lanes to drive in (always safe if you're driving next to somebody who doesn't know where they are.) All of the businesses and the few neighborhood streets had their lights on, so I know it wasn't a power outage. That's not a stretch of road I like driving in pitch black. As soon as I hit the county line into Cab County, all the lights were on, including the overhead direction lights. Mecklenburg needs to get their act together if indeed they were the reason for this.

Speaking of which, I was driving along N Tryon between Concord and Univ City and all the lights were completely black, including the ones telling which lanes to drive in (always safe if you're driving next to somebody who doesn't know where they are.) All of the businesses and the few neighborhood streets had their lights on, so I know it wasn't a power outage. That's not a stretch of road I like driving in pitch black. As soon as I hit the county line into Cab County, all the lights were on, including the overhead direction lights. Mecklenburg needs to get their act together if indeed they were the reason for this.

There was an article on Charlotte.com about this over the weekend. Apparently the lights are starting to die over there since the ones used for the overhead directional signs only last about five years (they were last replaced in 2002). According to the article, NCDOT is aware of the situation and is planning to start working on it next month. In the meantime, they've been taking electric parts from the lights north of the speedway to try to keep the ones south of the speedway (the section between Speedway Boulevard and Pavilion Boulevard) working. I was on 29 at Pavilion yesterday morning and the first set of the overhead directional signs was working just fine, so perhaps they've taken care of it for now. However, I haven't been past that first set in a few weeks now, so maybe everything else is dead. Either way, it doesn't look like it's Mecklenburg's doing.

The lights and signs on these highways are NCDOT's responsibility. And it simply amazes me that they've let the condition of these lights and their accompanying electrical systems deteriorate over the years to the point where repairing them is so costly. Had they maintained them all along it wouldn't be such a huge expense to fix them now. And as far as Charlotte and/or Mecklenburg Co. trying to pressure the state into getting the work done, that's an uphill battle. The louder Mecklenburg screams for its fair share of anything, the more the rest of NC calls us the "Great State of Mecklenburg." And they DON'T mean that as a compliment!

Edited by PlazaMidwoodGuy

NCDOT lets street lights burn out, potholes go unpatched, and bottlenecks stay plugged on busy urban roads at the same time as they build massive 6-lane freeways through the pristine mountains and 70mph freeways linking the bustling metropolises of Goldsboro and Wilson that carry (maybe) 2,000 cars per day.

The equity formula needs to be rewritten.

NCDOT lets street lights burn out, potholes go unpatched, and bottlenecks stay plugged on busy urban roads at the same time as they build massive 6-lane freeways through the pristine mountains and 70mph freeways linking the bustling metropolises of Goldsboro and Wilson that carry (maybe) 2,000 cars per day.

The equity formula needs to be rewritten.

I agree. What would it take for that to happen?