Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

16 minutes ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

How in the heck did WSOC and/or the Congressman not realize there is already an I-74 in the Triad and beyond? Even if the Congressman was clueless, WSOC should have done basic research and realized there was already an I-74.  Also, why not interstate it all the way to Asheville, since most of U.S. 74 Charlotte to Asheville already is a freeway, with the Shelby bypass under construction.

Actually they're not wrong.  They are upgrading HWY 74  to interstate standards from Wilmington to Rockingham, this section will be designated as I-74, this is where the congressman and WSOC are getting the I-74 name.   In Rockingham the highway splits and Interstate 74 goes to the Triad.  Highway 74 continues on to Charlotte and will most likely get designated as a 3 digit interstate like Nick2 stated. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jtmonk said:

Actually they're not wrong.  They are upgrading HWY 74  to interstate standards from Wilmington to Rockingham, this section will be designated as I-74, this is where the congressman and WSOC are getting the I-74 name.   In Rockingham the highway splits and Interstate 74 goes to the Triad.  Highway 74 continues on to Charlotte and will most likely get designated as a 3 digit interstate like Nick2 stated. 

The confusion around the numbering is precisely why I-74 should have never gotten that designation, especially when it’s routed to run concurrently with another highway that shares the same digits.

And I hope the Union/Anson leg of US 74 isn’t just a spur of I-74. An unused number in the 30s (I-32?) should run from Asheville, through Charlotte, and then to Wilmington. That should be more of a priority than I-87, imo.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

The confusion around the numbering is precisely why I-74 should have never gotten that designation, especially when it’s routed to run concurrently with another highway that shares the same digits.

And I hope the Union/Anson leg of US 74 isn’t just a spur of I-74. An unused number in the 30s (I-32?) should run from Asheville, through Charlotte, and then to Wilmington. That should be more of a priority than I-87, imo.

But I-87 is in eastern North Carolina, so it goes to the top of the list.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

I can see the spur happening but not an interstate quality road from Charlotte to Asheville. 

Even though it would "just" be upgrading US 74 to interstate standards the majority of the route from Charlotte to I26 the fact that 40 already connects Wilmington to Asheville would most likely be a non-starter. 

1 minute ago, Popsickle said:

I can see the spur happening but not an interstate quality road from Charlotte to Asheville. 

Even though it would "just" be upgrading US 74 to interstate standards the majority of the route from Charlotte to I26 the fact that 40 already connects Wilmington to Asheville would most likely be a non-starter. 

I-40 from Asheville to Wilmington is significantly longer than a hypothetical interstate from Asheville to Wilmington via Charlotte, and much of the supposed Asheville-Charlotte-Wilmington route could be multiplexed with other Intestates or freeways.  The section between Wilmington and Rockingham could be multiplexed with I-74.  The section between Asheville and Charlotte could be multiplexed with I-85 and US-74 which will eventually be upgraded to interstate standards along the section between I-85 and I-26.  The section in Charlotte proper could be multiplexed with I-485. The question mark is the section between Charlotte and Rockingham.  If that section can be built as a spur of I-74, and the rest of the route is already Interstate or being built to Interstate standards, then why couldn't they-be it Congress, NCDOT, AAHSTO, or whovever is responsible for determining the designation-just as easily create a 2-digit primary route (say, I-32) between Wilmington and Asheville?

That said, I would be fine with I-174 between Charlotte and Rockingham and I-226 between I-85 and I-26 west of Charlotte.  Ultimately they would serve the same function as a primary  route interstate.  The only difference is that one would require taking 6 different interstates to get from Asheville to Wilmington (I.e. I-26, I-226, I-85, I-485, I-174, and I-74) whereas the two digit primary route option would just require 2 interstates (i.e. I-26 and I-32).  

• Like 2

As long as they make 74 Interstate Standars bear the Uptown area then I am fine. Gosh I cannot tell you how many time I have had to merge onto 74 from a Stand Still with no merge lanes, It’s the perfect set up for a car accident, In fact I’ve had that scenario before. Does anyone know if the Monroe Bypass is going to get a Number? 

So I live in Concord about 5 mins from Harrisburg, I have many options to get into Charlotte and the one I take going in is rarely the same one I use coming out. Because of of the terrible merging issue onto 77 from the Brookshire I now take John Belk and exit N onto 77. Normally I would then merge onto 85 and take exit 49 Concord Mills to get home.

I have now discovered its quicker, keeps moving for the most part and i avoid 85 completely. What is it you ask? I stay on 77N take Inner 485 cross over 85, its 4 lanes the entire time on 485 btw. Then I take hwy 29 exit which is the first exit after you cross 85 on the inner towards Mint Hill/Matthews. Its so awesome. I may never use 85 again!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, QClifer said:

if they are making it 3 lane bridges, is it in the works to widen 74 at that area or is it in the 2040-2050 plans?

actually in Gaston County almost to Gastonia it is 6 lanes from bridge not all the way but a good bit of it.  Dittos on the Meck side closer to the airport it turns into 6 lanes into uptown. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, asthasr said:

I wonder if they will eventually build a Gastonia bypass on 74? The road is a mess after you cross the Catawba, and the lanes are very narrow while traveling through downtown Gastonia.

IIRC that was part of the justification for the Garden Parkway

I drove this route last night to McAdenville for lights and observed the approach to the 74 bridge in Meck and Gaston County. The four lanes are for the bridge and the real estate on both sides of the bridge for nearly a mile (or so) is mostly expendable, vacant, or a few institutional uses. New approaches would have limited effect on current uses. It is six lanes shortly beyond the bridge as currently built.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 5:09 AM, southslider said:

Much of the evening congestion on Mecklenburg freeways can be attributed to merging or losing a lane. Express lanes are funded at five such pinch points:

1. Outer 277 to 77 N by Music Factory

2. 77 N to 85 N north of Uptown

3. 485 to 77 N north of Northlake

4. 277 to 74 E by CPCC

5. Outer 485 east of Ballantyne

Take John Belk around by BofA and get on 77N that way, theres no back up ever . Sitting on the other side of 277 to get on 77N is maddening. Once you get on 77N to 85N is still a mess, but Ive actually stayed on 77N to Inner 485 and stayed on 485 to the 29/Speedway exit just to avoid the stop and go.