Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but if anyone on here has some engineering knowledge, I know that highway bridges are designed to flex a little bit, but I was stuck in traffic on the I-277 bridge over the tracks by the Music Factory, and I quite literally felt like I was getting seasick with how much it was bouncing up and down. Is this normal? Having driven underneath it seems to be in some stage of disrepair. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/01/08/bold-predictions-changes-likely-for-planned-toll.html

I don't pay so I can't see the article, but I know after the consultant analyzed the project, there's ideas floating around such as scrapping the toll lanes completely or converting one of them to a general purpose lane. I wouldn't be opposed to the second option... three general purpose lanes in a growing, populated area is not an outrageous request. So I guess between 277 and 485 there would  be three general purpose and two toll lanes, from 485 to Catawba three general purpose and one toll lane, and then from Catawba Ave to Mooresville no toll lanes, just three general purpose lanes?

Interested to see what becomes of this because it's delayed the 485 toll lane project too. I'm not advocating for Atlanta style freeways, but every major highway around Charlotte should have at least three general purpose lanes before toll lanes become an option.

38 minutes ago, nyxmike said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/01/08/bold-predictions-changes-likely-for-planned-toll.html

I don't pay so I can't see the article, but I know after the consultant analyzed the project, there's ideas floating around such as scrapping the toll lanes completely or converting one of them to a general purpose lane. I wouldn't be opposed to the second option... three general purpose lanes in a growing, populated area is not an outrageous request. So I guess between 277 and 485 there would  be three general purpose and two toll lanes, from 485 to Catawba three general purpose and one toll lane, and then from Catawba Ave to Mooresville no toll lanes, just three general purpose lanes?

Interested to see what becomes of this because it's delayed the 485 toll lane project too. I'm not advocating for Atlanta style freeways, but every major highway around Charlotte should have at least three general purpose lanes before toll lanes become an option.

Would be interested to know what's in the article...also not a subscriber.

43 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

77 north will be 3 free lanes 2 toll lanes to exit 28 Catawba than 2 free lanes 1 toll to exit 36 Mooresville.  Check out the videos on the NC DOT webpage about this project. 

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/I-77ExpressLanes/

I don't believe any new free lanes are being added anywhere? What map shows 3 free lanes to 28?

54 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

77 north will be 3 free lanes 2 toll lanes to exit 28 Catawba than 2 free lanes 1 toll to exit 36 Mooresville.  Check out the videos on the NC DOT webpage about this project. 

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/I-77ExpressLanes/

Has the interchange design at 277 changed from what was shown in this video? 

There had to be some design changes because there is no way they can build that and finish in time. I don't remember hearing about changes to this interchange. Here is a pic from November.

BASS_PHOTOGRAPHY___32.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ as far as I know No change that seems to what they are building. 

Thanks, but if you look at that pic, there is no hint of work even starting on that huge overpass that goes from 77 and crosses over Hamilton. Is the entire toll lane project supposed to be finished in late 2018? If so, I don't see how that can be finished and opened to traffic by that time.

• Like 1

Anyone else find it odd that there are plans (in 20 years or so, ha) to widen I-77 from NC 150 in Mooresville to I-40 in Statesville with general purpose lanes?  Why would they widen it there but not through North Mecklenburg and Southern Iredell County? If they just added one general purpose lane + the toll lanes there would be less opposition I think.  

http://crtpo.org/PDFs/Prioritization/P5_0/P5.0_HighwayProjects_Map.pdf

Also, a lot of these projects should be in construction now, not in 2045... 

Edited by nyxmike

The N. C. Department of Transportation will hold a public meeting in January regarding sections D and E of the proposed Shelby Bypass project in Cleveland County.

Section D extends from west of N.C. 150 to U.S. 74 west of Long Branch Road
Section E extends from U.S. 74 west of Long Branch Road to west of Stony Point Road at U.S. 74 Business in Kings Mountain.

The public meeting will be held Thursday, January 18, 2018 between 4 and 7 p.m. at Elizabeth Baptist Church located at 301 North Post Road in Shelby.

R-2707D Public Meeting Map (1 of 3)
R-2707D Public Meeting Map (2 of 3)
R-2707D Public Meeting Map (3 of 3)
R-2707E Public Meeting Map (1 of 2)
R-2707E Public Meeting Map (2 of 2)

• Like 1