Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

anybody else notice all the traffic counter strips around town in the last 2 days? Ive been over them on, monroe rd, wednover, park rd, south blvd, rozzelles ferry, central ave, 5th st,  woodlawn, tyvola rd. So its all over town.      Is there a citywide traffic study on the roads?   Just curious

Edited by QClifer
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, grodney said:

I'm getting excited for the Monroe Bypass.  I can never find project status updates and/or opening dates.  Anybody have anything different than "end of the year"?  Thanks..

I just heard on tv news within the last few weeks it was opening after Thanksgiving or sometime in Dec.  but now I cant find the story. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2018 at 4:47 PM, dubone said:

Boo hoo 6-9 dollars.  That's what bus riders pay.

$6 round-trip for Express Bus to Lake Norman Towns in North Mecklenburg. $18 round trip for Express Lane motorists round-trip to Mooresville.  CATS doesn't operate north of Davidson.

So more like double (N Meck) or triple (Mooresville) what bus riders pay. Granted, still seems fair, given the bus ride can also be twice as long or longer than the 45+mph drive.

1 hour ago, southslider said:

$6 round-trip for Express Bus to Lake Norman Towns in North Mecklenburg. $18 round trip for Express Lane motorists round-trip to Mooresville.  CATS doesn't operate north of Davidson.

So more like double (N Meck) or triple (Mooresville) what bus riders pay. Granted, still seems fair, given the bus ride can also be twice as long or longer than the 45+mph drive.

fwiw, CATS is trying to restart the Mooresville Regional Express with the 77 express lane opening (when all the north express services will get new routes). That service would fall into the $4.40/$8.80 fare class.

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

fwiw, CATS is trying to restart the Mooresville Regional Express with the 77 express lane opening (when all the north express services will get new routes). That service would fall into the $4.40/$8.80 fare 

True, but even regional express fare is still half the cost of tolls in one direction or for a round trip. Comparing one-way tolls to round-trip fares is an exaggeration that they are the same price.

14 hours ago, grodney said:

I'm getting excited for the Monroe Bypass.  I can never find project status updates and/or opening dates.  Anybody have anything different than "end of the year"?  Thanks..

Monroe Bypass - Substantial Completion/Opening Date is Nov. 27th.  Liquidated Damages per day if not opened after this date so pretty sure the Contractor will have the Mainline Open.  Minor work will probably continue after the opening.

• Like 2

I wonder how long it’ll take for commuters to move even farther East after it opens. If the expressway gets extended to the County line, Marshville or Pageland may have a comparable drive-time to Indian Land. Time to invest!

11 minutes ago, lit said:

I wonder how long it’ll take for commuters to move even farther East after it opens. If the expressway gets extended to the County line, Marshville or Pageland may have a comparable drive-time to Indian Land. Time to invest!

The politicians who pushed this through are ahead of you with their investments.   It's an old game. I finally watched Ken Burn's documentary on "The West" this week. In the last episode there's a story about how Mulhollen was pushed to get the LA aquifer built through and into land owned by the mayor and other politicians at the time.  The Garden Parkway in Gaston County was set up like this, with Pittenger representing a "consortium" of politicians who bought up land all along the route.  The only swamp that ever gets drained is the sensitive wetlands that are home to myriad creatures we ought to be protecting. 

• Like 4

On 10/7/2018 at 6:57 PM, NCMike1990 said:

Found a couple of driving videos on I-85 from Charlotte to Kannapolis. You can see how all the widening work coming along. Whoever made these did a good job.

These are great. Haven't driven through Cabarrus County lately, so it's nice to see the progress. THANKS!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

These are great. Haven't driven through Cabarrus County lately, so it's nice to see the progress. THANKS!

You're welcome! Just wanted to let you know that Google Street View was recently updated to the June/July 2018. So now you can see all the I-85 widening in Street View. About time they updated it!

• Like 3

I was told at a recent meeting that the express lane ramps to I-277 will actually connect at the outside lanes instead of the inside, so the express lanes can more safely connect to exit ramps (like Church Street). The NCDOT website design documents don't show this. Does anyone know if there are more recent design documents available somewhere? 

• Like 2

Wasn’t really sure where to put this, but it’s something that’s irritated me for a while now. As a tall person (tried to take the picture from eye level for me and probably looked pretty stupid) it is impossible to see the traffic lights at the Harris Blvd and Tryon Street intersection (busiest intersection in the state btw) when you’re at the front of the line. Wouldn’t it make more sense to put the lights at the opposite side of the intersection like most? Is there a reason they didn’t do this?

43D3599B-550F-4115-9E6F-1F2B753EE23A.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nakers2 said:

Wasn’t really sure where to put this, but it’s something that’s irritated me for a while now. As a tall person (tried to take the picture from eye level for me and probably looked pretty stupid) it is impossible to see the traffic lights at the Harris Blvd and Tryon Street intersection (busiest intersection in the state btw) when you’re at the front of the line. Wouldn’t it make more sense to put the lights at the opposite side of the intersection like most? Is there a reason they didn’t do this?

43D3599B-550F-4115-9E6F-1F2B753EE23A.jpeg

You shouldn’t be that close to the crosswalk. Looks like you’re past the stop line. 

1 hour ago, Third Strike said:

You shouldn’t be that close to the crosswalk. Looks like you’re past the stop line. 

I'm not past the stop line, I know how to drive thank you very much, I drive through this intersection multiple times per day, and have noted this issue many times. The picture does distort what I'm actually seeing to an extent. But I assure you I know what the hell I'm talking about.

Regarding the stoplights being too close, same thing happens to me every day at Idlewild/Rama and Monroe Rd coming from Independence every day. I just lean on the console so I can barely see the bottom bulb until it lights up green.