Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

13 hours ago, nakers2 said:

Wasn’t really sure where to put this, but it’s something that’s irritated me for a while now. As a tall person (tried to take the picture from eye level for me and probably looked pretty stupid) it is impossible to see the traffic lights at the Harris Blvd and Tryon Street intersection (busiest intersection in the state btw) when you’re at the front of the line. Wouldn’t it make more sense to put the lights at the opposite side of the intersection like most? Is there a reason they didn’t do this?

#tallpeopleproblems #solidarity :console:

• Like 2

They are finally trying to fix the area at HWY-16  / 485 and Mt Holly Huntersville Road.

They have a public meeting on Nov 8th 4-7pm at Mt Island Church of Christ

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Pages/I-5973-2018-11-08.aspx

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Documents/I-5973_Public_Meeting_Map.pdf

As you know the first part of the project is already under construction.

Some details on that part:

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Central Letting/03-20-2018 Central Letting/Mecklenburg U-6084 C204126.pdf

I looked it over and it seems like a good idea to me. I hope they can get it done in a timely fashion and get traffic flowing through that area...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NotSoAlien said:

They are finally trying to fix the area at HWY-16  / 485 and Mt Holly Huntersville Road.

They have a public meeting on Nov 8th 4-7pm at Mt Island Church of Christ

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Pages/I-5973-2018-11-08.aspx

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Documents/I-5973_Public_Meeting_Map.pdf

As you know the first part of the project is already under construction.

Some details on that part:

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Central Letting/03-20-2018 Central Letting/Mecklenburg U-6084 C204126.pdf

I looked it over and it seems like a good idea to me. I hope they can get it done in a timely fashion and get traffic flowing through that area...

It looks like they're just adding  an outbound lane and one lane to the from 485 outer. That seems barely like a band-aid fix for an incredibly congested interchange

My idea would be this: just bridge Mt Holly Huntersville Road over 16 and have ramps connecting down  to 16.   

In other transportation news the Monroe Expressway Bypass toll road is set to open in less than 30 days!

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/10/31/charlotte-area-s-first-toll-road-to-open-next.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-10-31&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1541018210&j=84753791

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It looks like they're just adding  an outbound lane and one lane to the from 485 outer. That seems barely like a band-aid fix for an incredibly congested interchange

The 6084 portion that is under construction is pretty neat, it should in theory big a huge help.  Its going to be like this:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NotSoAlien said:

The 6084 portion that is under construction is pretty neat, it should in theory big a huge help.  Its going to be like this:

I don't have any experience with these, but it seems like this makes things better for 16 at the significant expense of left-turn ability from Mt H-H road, unless it's a modified version of that video. If you want to go from the Walmart back toward uptown, it seems like you would have to cross 16, travel some distance to a safe U-Turn, and come back to 16. 

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I know someone who works on this project.  Looks like what the Contractor will try to do (If NCDOT allows) - is to open up the Toll Lanes along the portion of the project a few miles north of Uptown by the end of this year or early next year and then open the Uptown portion (lower end) around this time late next year.  Their construction is way behind on the major structures (mostly Uptown area) but the Paved lanes (largely north of I-85) up to Exit 36 are nearly ready.

Opening the northern portion without the express lanes at uptown sounds like a real disaster in the making

• Like 3

True - But there's several issues at play.  First is the Bonds coming due.  They need to start collecting Toll $$ soon to begin payments (Monroe Bypass too).  Second is traffic is still a nightmare  at I-485 & I-77 interchange during each morning/afternoon rush hour going through North Meck.  If the lanes are available some people will use them even if only on a limited basis.

Id be shocked if they didn't conduct a partial opening until the southern segment (around Uptown) is completed.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:39 AM, drumsy said:

All four southbound lanes of I-85 have opened up from Exit 58 (US29, US601; Kannapolis, Concord) southward.  Northbound still has lanes three and four coned off.

Any news on when northbound is due to open, or has it already? I haven't had the chance to drive it and Google isn't turning up any news to that effect.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:19 PM, tozmervo said:

I don't have any experience with these, but it seems like this makes things better for 16 at the significant expense of left-turn ability from Mt H-H road, unless it's a modified version of that video. If you want to go from the Walmart back toward uptown, it seems like you would have to cross 16, travel some distance to a safe U-Turn, and come back to 16. 

There is a version of this at Poplar Tent and Odell School Rd, seems to work well

I just drove back from the triad recently. They have finally opened up part of the 4 lane highway near to where that large ACN building overlooks the highway and south. The rest of the southern part of the expansion it looks brand new and ready to be opened any day now(probaby painting and removinf the temporary lane paint if i had to guess) In regards to the northern part of the expansion, it looks like the southern part did a year or year and a half ago did, its still a concrete base with exposed barrier holders and half finsihed bridges, probaby a year or 2 off until the whole thing opens to 4 lanes. But when it does it'll be a whole new world, i can go 85mph all the way to Greensboro and not sit behind a 50mph minivan in the 2 lane section anymore, I cant wait!

• Like 4

There are safety concerns for the new I-77 rest area north of Statesville
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article220151895.html

Omg. If William Carter really does teach at The University of Florida, then he should not be thrown off by the median location. There are dozens of these on the turnpikes in Florida. They make so much more sense. Instead of having two smaller, less safe (security concerns,) rest-stops, there’s a single one that encourages more foot traffic and better maintenance.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, tozmervo said:

:shok:

The Company (Cintra) needs to begin collecting some toll revenue in order to begin making payments on the Bonds.  The tolls will be discounted some since the entire project isn't opened on time as promised but there will be some relief (at least in North Meck)  to the Hellish daily commute thousands have currently.  It'll just cost a pretty penny.