Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

At least there will be a couple of years of respite before the widening begins to 321 in Gastonia. I have a feeling congestion is going to be worse with that project than the Cabarrus County widening due to the higher volume of traffic and number of structures along that stretch. Hopefully they can maintain the existing three travel lanes throughout construction.

• Like 1

I-85 update in Cabarrus from my drive today.  4 lanes northbound to exit 60 Dale Earnhardt then 3 lanes to exit 63 Lane St then just 2 lanes to China Grove through the construction zone.  Southbound the 4 lanes open up at exit 63 Lane St.   More work is being done but it is open some repaving and restripping will be necessary.  

• Like 2

Driving mobility into and leaving the Charlotte Metro will be much improved .

This. The I-85 widening, I-77 project, and Monroe Bypass are some of the most important things, currently happening that will move the Charlotte region's economy along in the coming years, IMO.

Business wants to be in metro areas with robust infrastructure and these projects should land more companies and expansions into the region.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

This. The I-85 widening, I-77 project, and Monroe Bypass are some of the most important things, currently happening that will move the Charlotte region's economy along in the coming years, IMO.

Business wants to be in metro areas with robust infrastructure and these projects should land more companies and expansions into the region.

I agree.   That and our new LYNX line opened this year are so important.  In Nashville a few weeks back I saw no road or highway construction in the core and daytime traffic jams and of course no light rail or any planned at this point.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I agree.   That and our new LYNX line opened this year are so important.  In Nashville a few weeks back I saw no road or highway construction in the core and daytime traffic jams and of course no light rail or any planned at this point.  

That's right, and some folks might be annoyed at all this construction, and I'm sure it's a major headache for drivers. It's going to pay off in the long run.

My stepdad works for a Wilmington based company "American Fire Tech." that has an office in Charlotte. He has to commute to Charlotte regularly and usually takes Hwy. 49 just to avoid the I-85 mess.

• Like 2

77 express lanes are looking more and more done especially up north.  Went up to Cornelius today.   Even if putting your vehicle into snowbank to get a close in parking space....saw this in Cornelius and not me. I look for a parking spot even further away that has no snow in it!  You can't tell very good but that Toyota was leaning to left. 

77exit23signs.jpg

77exit25.jpg

77exit28.jpg

77north.jpg

77parkingsqueeze.jpg

• Like 3

Anyone else coming into Uptown from either the north side, or I-74? Traffic has been horrible.

One whole lane is closed on I-277, inner loop, between 10th St exit, and 3rd St exit. I also thought I read that the 5th St exit from Independence is closed?

This has caused every single North-to-South route through Uptown packed with traffic. McDowell, N Davidson, Brevard, College, Church, Graham...

My own commute, 5-8 minutes by car, has taken 25-30 minutes the last two weeks. 

Story:

https://www.wcnc.com/article/traffic/bridge-construction-shuts-down-lanes-of-i-277-through-december/275-620693663

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

and the sticker goes on the license plate? windshield? forehead

The bar code on the NC Quick Pass should face towards the inside of your car.  The NC Quick Pass adheres to the interior of your windshield just to the left or right of your rear view mirror just like a transponder.

Here's a nice little video (just 46 sec.) showing how to install the NC Quick Pass sticker. 

Edited by QCxpat
Add short You tube video
  • Like 3