Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

It's a lot easier and wayyyy cheaper to build an intersection or upgrade a road before it becomes unbearable with traffic than it is to fix one already bad. Logistically it makes a lot of sense to improve interconnectivity in areas that are growing but haven't outgrown their infrastructure yet. Obviously cities should get more funding and Charlotte does seem to get shafted some but any road improvement is a good thing. 

Rural areas get disproportionate funding for roads just like they do internet, electrical grids, or schools. This is a very rural state so a lot of funding is going to go rural to match (and then some).

Imagine how great it would have been if they planned a better road/highway system in the lake Norman area a few decades ago before the area boomed.

Charlotte gets a lot of money just not equivalently distributed. Let's try not to make everything CLT vs the rest of the state. NC is a big state outside of the metrolina.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2019 at 9:32 PM, Nick2 said:

Charlotte does seem to get shafted some but any road improvement is a good thing. 

Rural areas get disproportionate funding for roads just like they do internet, electrical grids, or schools. This is a very rural state so a lot of funding is going to go rural to match (and then some).

Charlotte gets a lot of money just not equivalently distributed. Let's try not to make everything CLT vs the rest of the state. NC is a big state outside of the metrolina.

Why not make it CLT vs the rest of the state? Every mechanism in NC State politics is built to keep this dichotomy supported as long as possible. Between trying to take over the Airport, HB2 , and not giving the areas in an around Charlotte correct funding for decades via statewide lack of representation by nefarious Gerrymandering, the state itself may be the largest thing holding back Charlotte as a city.  I can't wait for the urban areas to grow to the point that this is a more urban than rural state. That time isn't far away...

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 3

NC QuickPass update:  I traveled on a toll road in Florida the Lakeland bypass or something and it took about 4 days to appear on my NC QuickPass account but it did work.   I went through the toll booths where it said SunPass users only.  They don't have at least on that road the high speed toll gantries like NC.  (and that highway was expensive compared to Monroe Bypass but I did drive like Florida Cracker with cops on my tail LOL) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jordan704 said:

Driving up to Statesville along the i77 toll today. I would say at least half of the bollards separating the roads have already been damaged or completely ran over.  

3799CA1C-3613-41BA-8DC7-65B931B621EA.jpeg

Notice the phantom lane in the picture. I have to wonder if that has something to do with it

On 2/14/2019 at 6:21 PM, tozmervo said:

The phantom lanes are terrible right now. When it rains all bets are off, 77 commuters are basically driving on a prayer that they're actually in a lane. It's like Kramer struck.

Is NCDOT going to install reflective lane markings on I-77? This would help dramatically as well when it is night time and it is raining. We get WAY too much rain, sometimes torrential, to not have reflective lane markings. I know we have it on I-485, but it doesn't seem like they are installing on I-77 :( 

1920px-M9_motorway_Carlow_Ireland_catsey

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Is NCDOT going to install reflective lane markings on I-77? This would help dramatically as well when it is night time and it is raining. We get WAY too much rain, sometimes torrential, to not have reflective lane markings. I know we have it on I-485, but it doesn't seem like they are installing on I-77 :( 

I assume that's required in the contract, they just won't do it until the final paving is complete. It'll be virtually the last thing done on those lanes. Some better temporary striping has gone in at a few areas where it was really bad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I assume that's required in the contract, they just won't do it until the final paving is complete. It'll be virtually the last thing done on those lanes. Some better temporary striping has gone in at a few areas where it was really bad. 

Awesome! Those will really help improve safety as well.