Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

On 4/5/2019 at 9:47 PM, KJHburg said:

WSOCTV said tonight that the express lanes north of 485 would be opening "soon"  even Channel 9 could not get a date.  Plus there is some kind of boycott movement in the works to avoid the lanes once they open so they sell the lanes back to the state.  Okay.

Yeah, I've mentioned that boycott movement. Heck, as far as I know I started that boycott movement. They won't get a dime more from me than what I already pay in taxes to the State of NC. I'm encouraging everyone I know to do the same. I'll gladly watch the state have to buy out those lanes and make them free.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, cowboy_wilhelm said:

What's the status of the 85 widening through Kannapolis in each direction? It's been a couple of months since I went through there and I recall there being more lanes open one direction (southbound?) than the other at the time. I know the section by China Grove is still a ways off from completion.

NCDOT says lanes north of Moose Rd. up to the 601/I-85 connector will open December 2019.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-85-widening/Pages/default.aspx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Basically I-85 is complete up to exit 63 last Kannapolis exit and is 4 lanes in each direction.  There is another resurfacing to be done and the exits are not completely done especially at US 29 601 the main Concord Kannapolis exit 58.  Further north to south of Salisbury still under construction. 

Sweet.

1 hour ago, NCMike1990 said:

NCDOT says lanes north of Moose Rd. up to the 601/I-85 connector will open December 2019.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-85-widening/Pages/default.aspx

Nice. Looks like their dates have been updated on the website to match the construction progress report, which is also indicating they're roughly 10% behind on progress (and 30% over budget on a $107M contract :shok:).

Hopefully we'll have a little less rain this year....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rancenc said:

Whoo... remember when N Tryon St, University City Blvd, and the 85 interchange shared about like a 1/4 mile of road 10 years ago? It's hard to believe that cluster ever existed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Sign on the Meck side of that bridge describes it as Iswa Nature Preserve. Map show a speck of it on the north side of 74 also. 

https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/StewardshipServices/Documents/INP.pdf

Yes there is a short paved trail but some people were fishing in the river there.   However the county owns a whole lot more land.  The park in Belmont is more developed and is very nice. 

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

KJ on the move :D

How many donuts-per-mile is that??

Drove through uptown, over the river on the west side then up to north side of Concord.  That is why QT is my friend! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

the old Wilkinson Blvd bridge US 74 over the Catawba River I was over that way today too.   There is a little park on the Meck side and there is a bigger one on the Gaston side in Belmont. 

I know the Garden Parkway was not well received and is dead, but is there any talk of another crossing of the Catawba in southern Gaston/Mecklenburg?

Edited by cowboy_wilhelm
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cowboy_wilhelm said:

I know the Garden Parkway was not well received and is dead, but is there any talk of another crossing of the Catawba in southern Gaston/Mecklenburg?

Yes there is talk of a West Blvd extension through the massive River District but not a limited access highway like once planned and it would bridge over the Catawba.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpiritOf76 said:

Random highway sign post questions - What is the purpose of the bars and what appears to be a walkway under the interstate sign? And what is the deal with the chain on the left? 

490D34DF-511A-436C-9F2D-A1AFC6844BA6.jpeg

I could be wrong, but I believe lights that illuminated the sign were mounted on the walkway. NCDOT has ripped out many of these old lights  in the past decade as signs have been replaced with more reflective ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NCDOT looking into using shoulders at peak times.  I know VaDOT did this back in the 1980s in northern Virginia and it seemed to work fairly well.  

Also some dates on completion of the toll lanes north of 485.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/04/19/cbj-morning-buzz-new-option-for-i-77-congestion.html

• Like 2