Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

47 minutes ago, southslider said:

Pretty sure most of the traffic on the fully tolled lanes in WV is mostly not commuters. What's your point?

My point was a reply to someone saying that they understood why the state would widen 85 because (nonsense) while they shouldn't widen 77 with free lanes because it was only commuters using the interstate. Please try to keep up.

On 5/13/2019 at 5:40 PM, KJHburg said:

^^^ I-85 is the most heavily traveled interstate in the state overall and the most important corridor in the southeast outside of Florida.

the clouds were beautiful today.  I-485 east Mecklenburg. 

IMG_4261.JPG

I'd love to see the data comparing the traffic counts on both.

11 hours ago, jednc said:

My point was a reply to someone saying that they understood why the state would widen 85 because (nonsense) while they shouldn't widen 77 with free lanes because it was only commuters using the interstate. Please try to keep up.

My point is they shouldn't widen 77 with free lanes because only one more lane in each direction (or what is nearing completion between Davidson and Mooresville) will fit across the lake causeway. Toll lanes at this physical constraint will keep up with growth a lot better than free lanes.

Edited by southslider
  • Like 2

My trip up I-77 midday today up to exit 36 and the express lanes are receiving final pavement coats it seems.  First photo is the Hambright Rd express lanes exit entrance only.  I will be happy when this is opened and there is some relief this way.  Part of the congestion a minor and I mean fender bender near Cornelius had one lane blocked.  2 out of state tags I noticed. 

Last photos why many put up with this commute  water skiing on a Wednesday   Enjoy your ride up 77 more than I did LOL. 

IMG_4264.JPG

IMG_4266.JPG

IMG_4268.JPG

IMG_4269.JPG

IMG_4270.JPG

IMG_4271.JPG

IMG_4272.JPG

IMG_4273.JPG

IMG_4275.JPG

IMG_4276.JPG

IMG_4277.JPG

IMG_4278.JPG

IMG_4279.JPG

IMG_4280.JPG

IMG_4281.JPG

IMG_4282.JPG

IMG_4283.JPG

IMG_4285.JPG

IMG_4286.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cowboy_wilhelm said:

I guess now wouldn't be a good time to mention the upcoming widening of I-85 to 321? :whistling:

Public meetings announced for 5/21 and 5/22, but no maps yet. Construction is still a few years off.

I feel like there are SO many outdated bridges in Gastonia that need to be replaced well before widening. I guess by 2030 it will finally be a semi enjoyable ride between Atlanta and Charlotte. When I was in college the roadway was basically the same layout since 1997(Spartanburg bypass) and besides the widening from Clemson to Spartanburg, the Hamilton Mill exit in GA (just north of ATL) to Charlotte was a similar layout to the original 1958 layout. 

2 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I feel like there are SO many outdated bridges in Gastonia that need to be replaced well before widening. I guess by 2030 it will finally be a semi enjoyable ride between Atlanta and Charlotte. When I was in college the roadway was basically the same layout since 1997(Spartanburg bypass) and besides the widening from Clemson to Spartanburg, the Hamilton Mill exit in GA (just north of ATL) to Charlotte was a similar layout to the original 1958 layout. 

It's going to be a mess. The Norfolk Southern mainline crosses I-85 three times, twice within about three miles.

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

according to NCDOT it should be open I-85 widened from Belmont Mt Holly to US 321 by 2024

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-85-widening-gaston-county/Pages/default.aspx

It doesn't specifically state which interchanges are rebuilt, but 321 is obviously a huge need. Is there a plan to turn 321 into a limited access highway all the way to 85?

7 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

It doesn't specifically state which interchanges are rebuilt, but 321 is obviously a huge need. Is there a plan to turn 321 into a limited access highway all the way to 85?

321 interchange is a separate project that is already happening now to eliminate the sharp turn from southbound 85 to 321.  

• Like 1

the problem with 321 and I-85 there is already a stretch the last mile or so north of 85 that is not a freeway.  The new on and off ramps even with lights will be better than the current situation and since 1-2 miles are not freeway anyway this the best they can do without spending millions and millions more.  

• Like 1

The cancelled Garden Parkway was supposed to connect to 321 where the freeway section of 321 ends along with a new interchange west of the current I-85/321 interchange

Now it will get this convoluted value engineered interchange 

MapA-overview-page-001-FULL.jpg

Edited by Nolan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

The cancelled Garden Parkway was supposed to connect to 321 where the freeway section of 321 ends along with a new interchange west of the current I-85/321 interchange

Now it will get this convoluted value engineered interchange 

MapA-overview-page-001-FULL.jpg

Actually, if I recall correctly, the Garden Parkway was to be routed south of Gastonia where it would intersect with I-85 somewhere in the vicinity of the I-85/US 74/Business 74 junction near Kings Mountain.

• Like 1