Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

So there's a dedicated page for the 485-74 express lanes projects: https://publicinput.com/I-485-Charlotte

The thing that jumped out at me was a completely baffling proposal on Hwy 74 north of Albemarle: they want to do a single, reversible express lane. What could possibly be the logic there? There's already a lane in each direction, why would they reduce it to one lane?

image.thumb.png.65e29381c5fdb16e0031521cd48b758d.png

image.png.83654eb8d94ec5dd57dce4240ecf5d85.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

There's already a lane in each direction, why would they reduce it to one lane?

I believe it’s because that section works fine for buses to have two lanes in each direction (they can control the  bus speeds), but it does not have median separation which would be required to have regular commuters going 60+ mph in each direction. And adding in that median plus any access points/merging areas would require more right of way. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CLTranspo said:

I believe it’s because that section works fine for buses to have two lanes in each direction (they can control the  bus speeds), but it does not have median separation which would be required to have regular commuters going 60+ mph in each direction. And adding in that median plus any access points/merging areas would require more right of way. 

Is there not enough ROW for them to even add in a concrete barrier wall? If 2-way traffic is not feasible, I wonder why they wouldn't make it two lanes in the same direction. 

• Like 1

They’re going to be required to have some shoulder width as well on either side of the barrier. But you’re right, the two lanes in each direction would’ve been a good idea! Allow express lane traffic to pass any less-than-express drivers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Is there not enough ROW for them to even add in a concrete barrier wall? If 2-way traffic is not feasible, I wonder why they wouldn't make it two lanes in the same direction. 

There are plans to upgrade to two dedicated HOT lanes sometime during the 2020s. It was submitted in the last STIP. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

I wish they would downgrade independence to a boulevard to help weave back all of the neighborhoods that border it. Especially since there will hopefully be the silver line running down the corridor.  

There wouldn't be any breakdown area or shoulder, if it were two lanes in the same direction.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:58 AM, tozmervo said:

So there's a dedicated page for the 485-74 express lanes projects: https://publicinput.com/I-485-Charlotte

The thing that jumped out at me was a completely baffling proposal on Hwy 74 north of Albemarle: they want to do a single, reversible express lane. What could possibly be the logic there? There's already a lane in each direction, why would they reduce it to one lane?

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article207891454.html I believe it's a temporary solution, the city requested money for another widening of the already widened Independence from 277 to Albermarle in the STIP.  The current ROW isn't wide enough for 2 express lanes with buffers and shoulders.

• Independence Boulevard: $76.8 million to build a new toll lane in the median of Independence Boulevard from I-277 to Albemarle Road.
  • Like 4

Not only that, but can we just have ONE year already where there's no major narrowing between Charlotte and the Triad/Triangle? As someone who has to travel to Richmond several times a year by road (visiting in-laws) I've waited so long just to not have to be held up before I even get to Greensboro. I really don't think 85 in northern Rowan is in such bad shape that they couldn't give us a one-annum grace period.

Even 321's planned widening from Hickory north didn't piggyback on the widening up the Blue Ridge Escarpment to Blowing Rock.

Filed under "short term pain, long term gain," construction has really effed up coming into Uptown from 77. Trade Street is still closed for Streetcar work, and now 4th street has been reduced in lanes at the Gateway station project. All the cars, north meck express busses, bikes, and pedestrians are basically getting funneled into a single lane on 4th under the tracks. Even on relatively light commute days, it's creating gridlock all the way through Gateway to the interstate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are there any plans to address the yearly increase of volume on I-77 between 485 and uptown? With the additional building in Steele Creek, Fort Mill, and Rock Hill, it seems like this stretch of highway will get to a point of having constant congestion every weekday from 6am - 9pm.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, easzman said:

Are there any plans to address the yearly increase of volume on I-77 between 485 and uptown? With the additional building in Steele Creek, Fort Mill, and Rock Hill, it seems like this stretch of highway will get to a point of having constant congestion every weekday from 6am - 9pm.

Yes. The road is going to be widened from six lanes to ten, four being toll lanes. Construction should start sometime in the 2020s. Unlike the widening project on I-77 in north Mecklenburg, the toll lanes will be owned by the state. 

• Like 2