Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

On 8/22/2019 at 12:29 PM, thenewkage95 said:

Oh definitely! 277 has needed a redesign for the past 20 or so years. Flow control is necessary especially where traffic has to merge onto 277 and cut across 3 lanes to quickly make the Brookshire exit. Also, I feel like 77 is mostly to blame for backups at both ends of 277. Not sure if traffic lights are the best solution (but what do I know? I’m not a traffic engineer), but I feel like fundamentally redesigning the number of exits and where they’re placed on 277 is paramount in eliminating the near-gridlock traffic that happens during rush hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go to the Commonwealth area weakly from Concord. I take 85S-77S -the Brookshire-Independence-Brier Creek. 

Leaving uptown to 77N, one should avoid the Brookshire and instead swing around to the John Belk and merge onto 77N just past Panthers Stadium. I have NEVER encountered the CF that the other side sees merging N. I cant figure out why others havent caught on to this. 

• Like 2

^Someone in the above situation still had to give a little money for a transponder and set up an account. A 3+ HOV must still have a transponder in their vehicle set to HOV mode. Otherwise, you will be billed by mail at 50% more than even an SOV, with sticker or transponder. And the transponder with the HOV switch costs more.

For want of a better location I present this well written monograph by a PhD student of Urban studies about transportation as the definer of city development:

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2019/08/commute-time-city-size-transportation-urban-planning-history/597055/?utm_term=2019-08-30T12%3A39%3A57&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_campaign=citylab&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

• Like 3

10 hours ago, southslider said:

^Someone in the above situation still had to give a little money for a transponder and set up an account. A 3+ HOV must still have a transponder in their vehicle set to HOV mode. Otherwise, you will be billed by mail at 50% more than even an SOV, with sticker or transponder. And the transponder with the HOV switch costs more.

You can use the free sticker and go on the website 15 min before you plan to travel  to signal you are doing HOV3 I believe. I would think the app would be more handy for this honestly.

1 hour ago, jednc said:

You can use the free sticker and go on the website 15 min before you plan to travel  to signal you are doing HOV3 I believe. I would think the app would be more handy for this honestly.

The app is not great, it logs me out every time I close it. They have made it frustratingly difficult to turn on HOV status. 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2019 at 10:38 PM, jednc said:

I've started carpooling to work. We get on the "express" lanes and ride for free the entire commute. We're also taking three cars off the free lanes hopefully freeing up some space to convince other drivers to stay in those free lanes. Cintra doesn't get a dime from us ever and if one of us can't make it one day, we just all drive separately in those free lanes rather than pay anything. I love doing my part to bankrupt Cintra.

I think the contract has a clause that if Cintra doesn't get any money the taxpayers cover any losses. It's a win-win situation for them. Taxpayers help build and help keep them afloat. 

On 9/1/2019 at 5:42 PM, mpretori said:

I think the contract has a clause that if Cintra doesn't get any money the taxpayers cover any losses. It's a win-win situation for them. Taxpayers help build and help keep them afloat. 

I'm all for that. Maybe then everyone will be angry about this double taxation as much as those in North Meck. Maybe they'll even vote for people who will change the whole deal. I'm not usually an anarchist, but I really want Rome to burn over all this. I'll continue to use it for free.

12 minutes ago, jednc said:

I'm all for that. Maybe then everyone will be angry about this double taxation as much as those in North Meck. Maybe they'll even vote for people who will change the whole deal. I'm not usually an anarchist, but I really want Rome to burn over all this. I'll continue to use it for free.

Pat Mccrory is out of office now so should not be repeat again. I appreciate Cooper for trying to fix it and insert shoulder lanes and help drivers and commerce flow through quicker. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Drove up 77 north by the Express lanes midday today.  No much usage on the lanes but the traffic was moving at posting speeds.  Noticed contractor and business vehicles HVAC, construction etc using the lanes.  I even pulled in them on the way back near Gilead to I-485 and it was like I had my own highway to myself.  A KJ dream drive.  Hate them or hate them less tolled express lanes are here to stay in NC and especially in Charlotte and Raleigh Durham metros.  

I know these have improved peak driving times from users I know.  

today up to Mooresville exit 36.   1st photo is the Express Lanes own exit at Hambright Rd. 

Paying state tax, gas tax, and toll roads must be a great time to be alive! And get tolled on the weekends when FL and WA are free!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Sales tax in Washington state is very high over 10% in Seattle Plus housing prices are out of sight in Seattle compared to NC .  Average Gas prices in Seattle  on gasbuddy about 3.31 a gallon only  and average in charlotte 2.31.   So  overall even with some tolls and income tax it is cheaper to live here in Charlotte. 

Funny, my rent is $1,300 and paid $2.99 the other day and drive on a free toll road over the weekend. Charlotte's sales tax is pushing 8%. So what's your point? 

12 minutes ago, CLTranspo said:

The point is the gas tax isn’t currently high enough to fund transportation projects and maintenance. So if we build improvements to our road and transportation system, we are going to pay for it one way or another. If our gas tax doesn’t go up, other taxes and tolls will. 

I would assume in my imagination that the state income tax would be used. 

44 minutes ago, kermit said:

So non-drivers should be forced to subsidize drivers just because drivers don’t want to pay a toll?

I'm also secretly mad that they finally got a additional lane AFTER I left. haha Hopefully this would incentivise Mooresville to support the Light Rail. Would bring a urban boom to downtown.  Can't wait for light rail to go up to Davidson and Mooresville in the future! 

1 hour ago, kermit said:

So non-drivers should be forced to subsidize drivers just because drivers don’t want to pay a toll?

YES. Just like non-transit riders subsidize those who do and those without children pay for schools, and the list goes on. Of course they should. My house has never caught on fire. I'm still happy to pay for firemen for others and for my "just in case".

I would certainly support a raise in the gas tax, just as soon as we padlock those tax coffers. Part of the reason we're being asked to double pay is because politicians keep dipping into the gas tax revenue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mpretori said:

Funny, my rent is $1,300 and paid $2.99 the other day and drive on a free toll road over the weekend. Charlotte's sales tax is pushing 8%. So what's your poi2 nt? 

2 hours ago @KJHburg said:  

Sales tax in Washington state is very high over 10% in Seattle Plus housing prices are out of sight in Seattle compared to NC .  Average Gas prices in Seattle  on gasbuddy about 3.31 a gallon only  and average in charlotte 2.31.   So  overall even with some tolls and income tax it is cheaper to live here in Charlotte. 

•  

This BEST PLACES  calculator shows your salary goes a lot further in Charlotte than in Seattle (see link below)

2019 Cost of Living Calculator:  Charlotte, North Carolina vs Seattle, Washington

A salary of $90,000 in Charlotte, North Carolina should increase to $172,071 in Seattle, Washington 

Comparison Highlights

- Overall, Seattle, Washington is 91.2% more expensive than Charlotte, North Carolina
- Median Home Cost is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
- Median Home Cost is 262% more expensive in Seattle.

Cost of Living Indexes Charlotte, NC Seattle, WA Difference
Overall Index: Homeowner, No Child care, Taxes Not Considered 106.7 204 91.2% more
Food & Groceries 93.4 100.4 7.5% more
Housing (Homeowner) 112.4 407.4 262.5% more
Median Home Cost $210,200 $761,800 $551,600 (262.4% more)
Utilities 98.3 68.8 30.0% less
Transportation 112.6 156.5 39.0% more
Health 113.8 81.7 28.2% less
Miscellaneous 99.4 120.1 20.8% more

100 = US Average. (Below 100 means cheaper than the US average. Above 100 means more expensive.)

Link:  https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charlotte-nc/seattle-wa/90000

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

This BEST PLACES  calculator shows your salary goes a lot further in Charlotte than in Seattle (see link below)

2019 Cost of Living Calculator:  Charlotte, North Carolina vs Seattle, Washington

A salary of $90,000 in Charlotte, North Carolina should increase to $172,071 in Seattle, Washington 

Comparison Highlights

- Overall, Seattle, Washington is 91.2% more expensive than Charlotte, North Carolina
- Median Home Cost is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
- Median Home Cost is 262% more expensive in Seattle.

Cost of Living Indexes Charlotte, NC Seattle, WA Difference
Overall Index: Homeowner, No Child care, Taxes Not Considered 106.7 204 91.2% more
Food & Groceries 93.4 100.4 7.5% more
Housing (Homeowner) 112.4 407.4 262.5% more
Median Home Cost $210,200 $761,800 $551,600 (262.4% more)
Utilities 98.3 68.8 30.0% less
Transportation 112.6 156.5 39.0% more
Health 113.8 81.7 28.2% less
Miscellaneous 99.4 120.1 20.8% more

100 = US Average. (Below 100 means cheaper than the US average. Above 100 means more expensive.)

Link:  https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charlotte-nc/seattle-wa/90000

If you live in a home, my rent is still plenty cheap. Notice this to property owners and not renters. 

Edit: "Taxes not considered"

Edited by mpretori

42 minutes ago, mpretori said:

If you live in a home, my rent is still plenty cheap. Notice this to property owners and not renters. 

Edit: "Taxes not considered"

Here's some data from RENT Cafe comparing Seattle rents with Charlotte rents:

Average rent in Seattle is $2,141 per month and average size of rental units is 697 square feet.

Average rent in Charlotte is $1,242 per month and average size of rental units is 944 square feet.

Accordingly, the average rent in Charlotte is just 58% of the average rent in Seattle.

Due to the exorbitant cost of housing in Seattle, just 45% of residents own their homes, while in Charlotte 59% of residents own their homes.

Links:  

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-rent-market-trends/us/wa/seattle/

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-rent-market-trends/us/nc/charlotte/

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 3