Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Delays on completion of the 77 express lanes and the ball is in the state's court.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/10/10/cbj-morning-buzz-opening-of-final-stretch-of-i-77.html

I had wondered if they might try to open the lanes (and new express exits) north of I-85 by Halloween - they've final paved a substantial amount of it. South of I-85 they still have a lot to do. 

• Like 1

I wish someone would enforce the  "no trucks in left 2 lanes" rule on I-85.

I travel this often and the number of trucks using the left 2 lanes seems to

be increasing.  I assume they share that with each other that is no enforcement

regardless of the signs through Mecklenburg County.   Perhaps we could get

signage like on I-40 in Wake and Durham counties that are attached to the

bridges over the left lane(s). 

Also, we are less than a month away from the time change.  It will be interesting

to see how many lights are not working on the freeways during evening rush hour.

Nearly all the overhead sign lights through Gaston County are not working and

the lights from the signs throughout Mecklenburg County have been removed some

time ago and never replaced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, midtownclt said:

I wish someone would enforce the  "no trucks in left 2 lanes" rule on I-85.

I travel this often and the number of trucks using the left 2 lanes seems to

be increasing.  I assume they share that with each other that is no enforcement

regardless of the signs through Mecklenburg County.   Perhaps we could get

signage like on I-40 in Wake and Durham counties that are attached to the

bridges over the left lane(s). 

Something that I did not know until recently is that the truck lane restrictions in N.C. do not apply to every vehicle that most of us would consider a "truck".  They're for 3+ axles with gross weight ratings of at least 26,000 pounds.  That would include the typical 18 wheeler, but not a big box truck, or most pickups towing cargo trailers or campers. 

If you see something that does look like a violation, please call *HP to report it (if you can).  Those lane restrictions are  there for your safety (and that truck driver's safety too).  Those huge trucks have massive right-side blind spots.  The couple of seconds they save by scooting over to the left lane are not worth the risk that they crush a driver that pops into their blind spot when they slide back to the right.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I had wondered if they might try to open the lanes (and new express exits) north of I-85 by Halloween - they've final paved a substantial amount of it. South of I-85 they still have a lot to do. 

This is a possibility.  Really depends on a lot of things but either way - Whether they do another partial opening or not (Like the I-85 to I-485 Section) it’ll be up to the NCDOT to approve such an opening.  Cintra will probably have to eat some serious LD’s.

^Since all of NC 16 (Brookshire) will have a simultaneous green light (left, through, and right) at Mt Holly-Huntersville, a pedestrian must cross each of theses simultaneous movements individually for a staged crossing of four signal cycles. 

While a reduced-conflict intersection (often called super-street) requires a pedestrian to cross to the middle then wait until a second signal cycle to cross the remaining half, a continuous-flow intersection requires a pedestrian to wait through multiple cycles to cross each of the left-turning movements now on the outsides of the road, plus each of the two through movements in the middle of the road, or four signal cycles total. 

• Sad 1

I wonder how much more expensive a fix that accounts for *all* traffic, including pedestrians, would have been to implement. Anything from adding a pedestrian bridge over 16 to burying one of the roads in a 'tunnel' under the other would have been exponentially more money- and time-consuming, but would show the powers that be understanding the nature of a city's needs better.

We live in an era of speed and low cost being king, and all other considerations pale. It's pretty unfortunate.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Why does it seem like the state never fines these contractors for work that is not completed on time? For the 77 toll lane project its $10,000 a day fine, that would add up quick and could be used for other projects that are desperately needed. The toll lanes have already been given a extension and are supposed to be finished by Thursday unless a extension is given.  Can anybody name a road project that was either finished on time or not given a extension?