Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Matthews news: at last check, Matthews voted to delay widening John St for a further five years. John St is already a perpetual parking lot. And I fear the effect of the delay will be to keep properties along that stretch blighted. I’m talking about the stretch between 485 and Potter Rd.

Oh the NIMBYism was strong with that crowd...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Maybe, but the widening plans were awful. I'm glad they pushed back on NCDOT's plans

The very first version, agree, that's why there are public hearings and presentations for feedback.

The latest version actually was a very good solution. But hey, at least that is not my problem.

• Like 1

I enjoy living Matthews. Somehow it’s not “soul-sucking” like they warned me would happen in auto-oriented suburbia. 
But the Stallings entrance is blighted and congested, in no small part because of short-sighted planning.

Short sighted planning, yet people typically vote in favor of not planning at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dale said:

My recent trip to NYC-NJ gave me a renewed appreciation for the condition of our roads and highways.

I agree.  I went to Woodbridge NJ and then Brooklyn & White Plains, NY this September for family and it’s pretty fierce traffic and terribly maintained roads on top of crushing tolls.  Glad I only visit there once a year or less.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Popped on the express lanes to 277 yesterday morning when I saw it backed up on 77 south around 9 am tail end of rush hours.   The only thing about the toll lane flyover to 277 it is good as it goes into its own lane but if you want to get off at Graham or Church it is harder as you have move over quick. 

It'll be interesting - when the express bus routes are updated in February, they will use the flyover to enter uptown on Church (instead of Trade, where they come in now).  Buses tend to get more leeway in changing lanes, but it's still a quick merge. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It'll be interesting - when the express bus routes are updated in February, they will use the flyover to enter uptown on Church (instead of Trade, where they come in now).  Buses tend to get more leeway in changing lanes, but it's still a quick merge. 

The merge on Brookshire to Church can't be any worse than the merge on 77 to Trade. Both end points for the Express Lanes require merging right to exit.  Historic express bus routing never stayed in the old HOV lanes all the way to their end for that reason.  The merging for Exits 23 and 25 are likely fun as well up in Huntersville.  To make true BRT, CATS needs to build true bus-only slip ramps similar to the Denver-Boulder BRT project, as well as pedestrian access between parking and new bus loading areas closer to the Express Lanes, to reduce circulation on and off the shared guideway.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, southslider said:

The merge on Brookshire to Church can't be any worse than the merge on 77 to Trade. Both end points for the Express Lanes require merging right to exit.  Historic express bus routing never stayed in the old HOV lanes all the way to their end for that reason.  The merging for Exits 23 and 25 are likely fun as well up in Huntersville.  To make true BRT, CATS needs to build true bus-only slip ramps similar to the Denver-Boulder BRT project, as well as pedestrian access between parking and new bus loading areas closer to the Express Lanes, to reduce circulation on and off the shared guideway.

They are shifting a couple of routes to use the new express only exits, so (I think) exit 23 won't be used anymore. 

1 minute ago, tozmervo said:

They are shifting a couple of routes to use the new express only exits, so (I think) exit 23 won't be used anymore. 

Exit 23 will still be used in the peak direction (inbound AM and outbound PM) to and from the Huntersville Gateway Park and Ride. However, the reverse-express route (outbound AM and inbound PM) will use Hambright direct-connect ramps to serve Huntersville Business Park southwest of Exit 23 before (AM) and after (PM) Huntersville Gateway.

5 hours ago, tozmervo said:

getting over to Graham is probably the worst they should be fine to get off at Church as they are big and can nudge their way over.  But I like how that express lane comes into its own lane on 277 so they are no merge worries if you are looping around uptown.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics! I really wish Cintra/NCDOT would've (finally!) reconstructed the full I-77/85 interchange during this project. I realize that would've likely made the project cost prohibitive, but it's likely these new express lane bridges and ramps will have to be torn up when the time comes that patches on this junction will no longer be sufficient.

• Like 2

Congrats (?) to Charlotte on entering the big time. We’ll soon be among the leaders for widest U.S. highway. 14 lanes on I-77 and 13 on I-85 north near 485 junction  :tw_grimace: 

TECHNICALLY, A case could be made for 15 lanes on I-77 which would tie us for #1 with Atlanta... Also, Louisville wyd??

A28EDB51-3CB1-4380-92CE-67B5108745DA.jpeg

F75ED984-C999-49D1-9FA9-C81784F428BD.jpeg

ED72FE8C-A17F-405D-8DFE-C6E67AA09ACE.jpeg

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Congrats (?) to Charlotte on entering the big time. We’ll soon be among the leaders for widest U.S. highway. 14 lanes on I-77 and 13 on I-85 north near 485 junction  :tw_grimace: 

TECHNICALLY, A case could be made for 15 lanes on I-77 which would tie us for #1 with Atlanta... Also, Louisville wyd??

I'm not sure exit lanes are typically used in those counts, which includes 3 of the lanes in that i77 photo.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I'm not sure exit lanes are typically used in those counts, which includes 3 of the lanes in that i77 photo.

C’mon man. Just let my post live :).  Also, I’m not sure you’re right either. ... Actually, hard to know without finding the exact locations of these other roads. I’ve been flying around Google earth and I can’t find the 15 lanes in ATL or the 14 in Louisville...

edit to add: I think I found the 15 lanes In ATL.  It’s on I-75 just before it merges into 85 south of town near Hartsfield. It’s only for 15 lanes for a split second but it includes exit lanes. 

71DE3325-DC1A-4D3C-B773-A02C74E50790.png

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

A28EDB51-3CB1-4380-92CE-67B5108745DA.jpeg

F75ED984-C999-49D1-9FA9-C81784F428BD.jpeg

ED72FE8C-A17F-405D-8DFE-C6E67AA09ACE.jpeg

I'm confused by that whole list.  There are way more highways and interstates throughout the country that are wider than the ones listed.  The list is also pretty dated, it's from 2010.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2