Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

On 12/21/2019 at 9:22 PM, JerseyBoy said:

Thanks for the pics! I really wish Cintra/NCDOT would've (finally!) reconstructed the full I-77/85 interchange during this project. I realize that would've likely made the project cost prohibitive, but it's likely these new express lane bridges and ramps will have to be torn up when the time comes that patches on this junction will no longer be sufficient.

I was thinking the same thing. This interchange may end up staying sub standard for the foreseeable future. 

14 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

C’mon man. Just let my post live :).  Also, I’m not sure you’re right either. ... Actually, hard to know without finding the exact locations of these other roads. I’ve been flying around Google earth and I can’t find the 15 lanes in ATL or the 14 in Louisville...

edit to add: I think I found the 15 lanes In ATL.  It’s on I-75 just before it merges into 85 south of town near Hartsfield. It’s only for 15 lanes for a split second but it includes exit lanes. 

I always thought 85 in Northeast Atlanta (between where 985 cuts in and Spaghetti Junction) had the highest amount of lanes at some point.

• Like 1

someone posted this before but this is the average traffic volumes on NC's highways.  The darkest red purple  busiest are I-40 near RTP in SE Durham county and parts of I-40 near Cary and west  Raleigh.  In Charlotte I-85 between N Graham St and I-77.  as I have driven all these areas I can attest to the validity! 

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/State-Mapping/Pages/Traffic-Volume-Maps.aspx

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CLTranspo said:

The Katy Freeway (I-10) in Houston reaches up to 26 lanes wide! 

Katy Freeway is only 26 if you count frontage roads which the agency says shouldn’t count —> https://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2016/apr/13/sylvester-turner/worlds-widest-highway-not-where-sylvester-turner-t/

3 hours ago, Eightane said:

I finally got to utilize the widened Lanes on 85 through Rowan county when I went to Burlington for a holiday in-laws visit. Though the one bridge close to China Grove is still "solidlaned" (white lines are solid underneath the bridge, disallowing passing) due to work, no lane closures existed and it easily shaved 15-20 minutes off my commute.

I want more mass transit options most of all, esp. between uptown and the airport, but the importance of inter-metro roads in this state can't be understated. As most Southern cities were laid out in a way that flatters/encourages car culture, we can't underfund nor undervalue their existence.

Soapbox over, happy holidays everyone!

If I don't get stuck in Triangle traffic, I can do the Raleigh to Charlotte drive in  a little over two and a half hours now via 85/40.  I used to almost always take 49/64 through Asheboro, but now if I'm not going to be hitting rush hour traffic, it's easier to just hop on the interstate.  When I drove down for Christmas, I made it door-to-door in 2 hrs 20 mins (helps when everyone else is doing 85-90 though lol).

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, nicholas said:

If I don't get stuck in Triangle traffic, I can do the Raleigh to Charlotte drive in  a little over two and a half hours now via 85/40.  I used to almost always take 49/64 through Asheboro, but now if I'm not going to be hitting rush hour traffic, it's easier to just hop on the interstate.  When I drove down for Christmas, I made it door-to-door in 2 hrs 20 mins (helps when everyone else is doing 85-90 though lol).

I've noticed over the past couple of years that everyone is going faster on 85 between Charlotte and Greensboro. Used to be comfortable at 5-10 over, but now I'm looking down and realize I'm doing 10-15 over and people are blowing my doors off. There doesn't seem to be much of a SHP presence when I go through, and the locals aren't out like they used to either. It seems like there's a trooper every few miles on 40 between Hickory and Winston.

• Like 4

I've noticed over the past couple of years that everyone is going faster on 85 between Charlotte and Greensboro. Used to be comfortable at 5-10 over, but now I'm looking down and realize I'm doing 10-15 over and people are blowing my doors off. There doesn't seem to be much of a SHP presence when I go through, and the locals aren't out like they used to either. It seems like there's a trooper every few miles on 40 between Hickory and Winston.

I think it’s a celebration for the 10+ years of nonstop construction that had traffic backed up worse than 77. Having 4 lanes from Charlotte to Greensboro is a miracle compared to previous years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Wall Street Journal reports on the unpopularity of the I-77 toll lanes. The article doesn't mention what will be done in the future with these lanes, but does quote a state senator who says she doesn't think lanes like these will ever be built in the state again (public/private partnership).

https://www.wsj.com/articles/motorists-scorn-north-carolinas-first-public-private-toll-road-11577548802

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1