Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

On 1/7/2020 at 1:55 PM, KJHburg said:

Toll lanes up to Sunset from uptown today (and it is cheaper than going to I-85) there is tunnel underneath the southbound lanes.   and the toll only exit south of Harris Blvd. 

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

Glad to see most feel as I do...don't use the toll lanes. From your pics (which I'll put more stock in than any anecdotes), it was you and one other car in sight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I am the opposite I take the toll roads when cheaper LOL,    I know many don;t like these toll lanes but they are here to stay whether CINTRA is here 5 yrs from now or what.  

The lanes are here to stay...the tolls don't have to be.

32 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Commies have done this.

I find it fascinating how narrow minded some folks can be.  The freedom to move freely is one of the biggest economic advantages the American people have!

Now, you can ban diesel and gas all you want, but to ban personal transport would be like being shot point blank for the US economy.

Who said anything about banning cars?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, thenewkage95 said:

The quote said “not a lot of places where it’s allowed.” That’s a ban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh, I disagree. We currently have restrictions on where cars can go in Charlotte (Mint st on game days, the rail trail, etc.) but we don't call that a ban. Did we ban smoking or just make it "not allowed in a bunch of places"?

I guess reasonable people can disagree on semantics.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Meh, I disagree. We currently have restrictions on where cars can go in Charlotte (Mint st on game days, the rail trail, etc.) but we don't call that a ban. Did we ban smoking or just make it "not allowed in a bunch of places"?
I guess reasonable people can disagree on semantics.
@kermit while I don’t completely agree with how you feel about cars, I wholeheartedly respect your opinion. I think we definitely need to make changes and look at accessibility options as a city much more closely. I remember when I didn’t have a car and had to walk to work. I can tell the city wasn’t designed with pedestrians in mind and that’s a serious issue. I believe that the solution isn’t to simply restrict personal transportation. Unfortunately, Charlotte is over 300 sq miles and not densely enough built to warrant public transportation on par with that of NYC or Chicago. Restricting drivers will only make commute times, cost-of-living, reasonable access to the city’s amenities even more insane. Not to mention how it would stunt the growth and appeal of the city as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy $#!t people twisting themselves into knots trying to sound urbanist.

WE would not have ~90% of mainland US development if freedom of moving (that is provided by a personal car/van/truck and horse before the age of auto's) was not a cornerstone of the US economy.
That freedom gives individuals the ability to provide goods and services that otherwise would not be there, to explore new places - that are not at a Rail Station - for potential business ventures. Or sometimes just the simple freedom to not be a slave to a timetable!

Want to tax the $#!t out of gas/diesel for polluting the air, do it!
But that is not at all what those twitter profiles are about.
There are plenty of alternatives to fossil fueled cars. Good EV's are available form many manufacturers.
But clean air is not their goal -  they just hide behind it as a cover.
They want you to accept their world view or shame you every which way if you do not abide (in this case compare every non-smoking American to a smoker).

You know, I would love for all utopian urbanists to come together, "put their money where their mouth is" so to speak, and start their own Town/City.

Don't ride on the back of someone else's "dirty" work, but build from the ground up.

Attract talent, generate a tax revenue, deal with crime (oh wait you have no crime in a utopia) and make it a self sustained place.

Here's a primer on how to incorporate your own town: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2005/11/how-do-you-start-your-own-town.html

This past week, I was driving my Bolt down Park Rd (yes, I only own EV's and the Bolt is a fine EV), and stopped at a light behind a Volvo with the following bumper sticker image.png.abb0e277e8b7e3cf6fb64255511cf179.png

I did not know at that particular moment whether I wanted to laugh or cry. Reading your posts and some responses, I am taken back to that exact moment.

So, go on, make a self sustaining utopia, prove all the naysayers wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pgsinger said:

If we compared the cost of the Silver Line, or even the entire transit "Big Bang," to the actual cost of providing cheap roads and parking, then the differences would not be nearly as great.  Currently, the general public sees roads as free and mass transit as extremely expensive.  This is simply not an accurate comparison.

First, these are simply inaccurate statements.

Looking from economic impact point of view, roads allow for the most diverse set of uses.

• Emergency services (would you like your EMT's relying on public transport)
  • All goods based businesses.
  • All time critical businesses.
  • On location service based industries.
  • Roads are the single method of transport that allows the gov't to spend only on half of the infrastructure (just the road - not the vehicle) everything else requires both.
    • they offload the capex, opex and insurance for all private cars on the user.

Can you provide the same services with just light rail and bus service?

In a growing metro like Charlotte, you need a good balance of different modes of transport.  There are some on this forum (not limited to @kermit ) that are anti-road to the point that they are blinded to all other economic factors that are in play.

For example, take the statement below:

On 1/13/2020 at 5:42 PM, kermit said:

Every car on the road (or in  a parking lot) makes it more difficult for me to walk, bike, or develop real estate (since I gotta devote a large amount of each parcel to parking)

With a blanket statement like that there is a lot to cover, but I will hit only 2 points:

1. completely lets off the hook all the previous City and CDOT planners that neglected sidewalks all together. (it wasn't until mid 2000's that there was even a funded plan to actually get sidewalks in 'all of Uptown', but that is somehow ROADS fault)
    • Taking everyone into consideration must start at the very beginning of any project - this includes taking into account private vehicles.
    • Good planning goes a long way...
  2. about the extra cost of parking - has anyone here ever wondered how much more in property tax you would be paying to cover the huge capital and operating costs of a much larger system
    • CATS is 80% (according to the 2020 budget) dependent on taxpayer funds and the number seems to go up ~1% every year.
    • Also, if you "made cars legal only in few places" like the tweet that started this discussion, you are basically creating a class system in your city. Those that live near enough to benefit and all the rest that are left to take a 90 minute bus ride.
Edited by Scribe

Now, if you change the subject whether gas/diesel should be banned as a fuel source, I'm all ears!

I will be first to sign that petition and I will show up for any debate that needs a show of support!
That is a public health, environmental and a geopolitical crisis all wrapped up in one nasty little liquid!