Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

14 hours ago, kermit said:

It is time to switch to 100% battery electric vehicles.

The US power grid has been getting cleaner over the past 2 decades (and will continue to get cleaner as solar and battery storage get cheaper) and BEV's don't spew out toxic waste as they go.  Lastly, batteries can be re-used for energy storage after their life in EV's and after re-use recycled. Within the last few years they've advanced in recycling of Li-ion batteries where the vast majority of material can be recovered.

one example: https://www.greenoptimistic.com/finland-battery-recycling-20190412/#.XLW8GzAzaHt

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Scribe said:

It is time to switch to 100% battery electric vehicles.

The US power grid has been getting cleaner over the past 2 decades (and will continue to get cleaner as solar and battery storage get cheaper) and BEV's don't spew out toxic waste as they go.  Lastly, batteries can be re-used for energy storage after their life in EV's and after re-use recycled. Within the last few years they've advanced in recycling of Li-ion batteries where almost the vast majority of material can is recovered.

one example: https://www.greenoptimistic.com/finland-battery-recycling-20190412/#.XLW8GzAzaHt

That's exactly why I preordered the Tesla Cybertruck a few days after it was announced. I'm tired of having to go to the gas station and ready to own a pickup truck that does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, the not spewing toxic waste from the tailpipe is a huge plus as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mgelbach said:

That's exactly why I preordered the Tesla Cybertruck a few days after it was announced. I'm tired of having to go to the gas station and ready to own a pickup truck that does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, the not spewing toxic waste from the tailpipe is a huge plus as well.

Mgelbach, You will love it!  My wife has a Model 3 and it is hands down the best car we have ever had.  I put in an order for the Cybertruck the week it was announced!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DMann said:

Mgelbach, You will love it!  My wife has a Model 3 and it is hands down the best car we have ever had.  I put in an order for the Cybertruck the week it was announced!

Not to get too off-topic, but I've always wanted to ask someone who has an electric/battery vehicle.....

What is the cost of charging the battery vs. the cost of gas/diesel? Is it cheaper to have to charge than to buy fuel? Just curious.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Roughly $140 million per mile to add toll lanes to the easiest to widen section of Independence.

https://www.wfae.org/post/ncdot-puts-900m-price-tag-us-74-widening-toll-lanes

I was at the Hyundai dealer at Sardis Rd N a few months ago and their property is far too crowded. The salesman said they were suspending any improvements until final decision was made about this project. It sounded to me that the company had property farther out  (East) to expand or move from what he said. 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2020 at 9:14 AM, kermit said:

Roughly $140 million per mile to add toll lanes to the easiest to widen section of Independence.

https://www.wfae.org/post/ncdot-puts-900m-price-tag-us-74-widening-toll-lanes

This will be one hell of a Jersey freeway.  This is a NJDOT dream highway. 

Edited by Seaboard Fellow
  • Haha 1

Widening 74 into Union county is long over due but I never understood the State's reluctance to convert Independence into a fully controlled access freeway.  Traffic flow is consistently 60 mph or high even after you get to the stop lights at WT Harris. It is frustrating when driver's cross 4 lanes of traffic trying to get to Albemarle from Walmart or pull out going 35 mph.

• Like 2

I hate how NCDOT and the cities visions of transit don't line up. How can widening a highway along the corridor of a future light rail be beneficial at all. Would we even need this widening if a transit line existed here today? Why not reduce 74 to a boulevard like it used to be and allow for more connected communities and property tax growth. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1