Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Not in the Charlotte but our state DOT is opening Business I-40 through downtown Winston Salem 6 months early. Of course it was a complete close for 15 months but impressive nonetheless. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2020/01/31/business-40-to-re-open-after-15-month-rebuild-6.html

Still think it was a huge missed opportunity to not turn it into an urban street/boulevard.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, nicholas said:

Still think it was a huge missed opportunity to not turn it into an urban street/boulevard.

For what it’s worth, it should be the most aesthetically pleasing  freeway in NC. Currently that title is held by the Capital Beltway in my view. Hopefully I-277 gets upgraded in similar fashion.  Freeway aesthetics seem to not be a thing in NC. 

Edited by Seaboard Fellow
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I'm always mildly offended riding through the triangle area. We can't get beautiful highways here in Charlotte (or working streetlights) because we're a superior city? Jealousy is ugly even if their interstates are not.

(Partly joking)

Not defending the Triangle, but those beautiful (effective?) brick sound barriers you see in Raleigh and Durham were also built in Charlotte along I-77 from Brookshire to I-85. Unfortunately they don’t look as good in CLT because I think they’re further away from the road sometimes due to topography (Irwin Creek in this pic). And they’ll be all but invisible once the new fake brick sound barriers are completed which are way more effective even if somewhat uglier. Sometimes you have to give up beauty in favor of urbanity. 

image.png

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 4

This is 485 at Johnston for the express lane project.  Am I reading this correctly that the flyover to westbound 485 will branch off to the left, go over the regular lanes, and join up to the express lane?  And also, on eastbound 485, the express lane will have a dedicated exit that goes over the normal lanes and has it's own little ramp to Johnston Rd southbound (bypassing the stoplight at the end of the normal ramp)?

485express.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grodney said:

This is 485 at Johnston for the express lane project.  Am I reading this correctly that the flyover to westbound 485 will branch off to the left, go over the regular lanes, and join up to the express lane?  And also, on eastbound 485, the express lane will have a dedicated exit that goes over the normal lanes and has it's own little ramp to Johnston Rd southbound (bypassing the stoplight at the end of the normal ramp)?

485express.jpg

Yes to all of the above.  The existing flyover bridge will be widened and two smaller bridges constructed to facilitate Direct Connections onto and off of the Toll Lanes.

• Like 1

speaking of toll roads I took the Monroe Expressway from end to end this morning and much busier than last time I used about 1 year the whole length.  Lot more truckers are using it and boy does it save time and gas instead of stop and go through Monroe.  They need to get started on the Wadesboro bypass. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

speaking of toll roads I took the Monroe Expressway from end to end this morning and much busier than last time I used about 1 year the whole length.  Lot more truckers are using it and boy does it save time and gas instead of stop and go through Monroe.  They need to get started on the Wadesboro bypass. 

Are they really talking about another section of bypass?!

5 minutes ago, thenewkage95 said:

Stop playing around and just upgrade the whole thing to interstate already haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is mentioned in this article from 2018 

http://ansonedp.blogspot.com/2018/05/well-cross-that-bridge-when-we-get-to.html

here is an article from Rockingham talking about both Rockingham north bypass to connect to I-73/74 and this rumored Wadesboro bypass

https://www.yourdailyjournal.com/news/84661/bypass-project-around-rockingham-accelerated-from-2026-to-2020

• Like 2

It is mentioned in this article from 2018 
http://ansonedp.blogspot.com/2018/05/well-cross-that-bridge-when-we-get-to.html
here is an article from Rockingham talking about both Rockingham north bypass to connect to I-73/74 and this rumored Wadesboro bypass
https://www.yourdailyjournal.com/news/84661/bypass-project-around-rockingham-accelerated-from-2026-to-2020

At least there seems to be some momentum! I’m glad to see how much the commute time has been reduced with the various bypasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/4/2020 at 5:18 PM, nicholas said:

I think there were better ways to spend $100MM of our taxes on than a limited-access freeway with a 45mph speed limit cutting Old Salem off from downtown WS.  There have been numerous studies showing how removing interstates from urban areas increases all sorts of health and economic-related factors, and for a city like WS which has basically been treading water for two decades now, they needed to be bold and do something different. 

Agreed, but you can apply that same logic to most projects of this scale in NC.  I wouldn’t  cast aspersions specifically against W-S as they are taking substantial strides towards improving their downtown. Salem Parkway will be used exclusively for local traffic after the completion of I-74 to the northeast. Pedestrian connections around Salem Parkway have also been enhanced. 

• Thanks 1