Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

has anyone noticed that people are driving extremely fast these days on the metro Interstates. I was going 15 over and I was passed like I was standing still.  Did I miss an Governors executive order lifting all speed limits?  anyone else notice this?  

yes indeed. 85 from 77 to CCMills has been a bit scary. Motorcycles have typically driven insanely fast through there but on numerous occasions lately I have witnessed cars seemingly racing each other. Traffic has been cruising at probably 78-82mph, so these cars were easily going 95-105.....

• Like 2

21 hours ago, KJHburg said:

has anyone noticed that people are driving extremely fast these days on the metro Interstates. I was going 15 over and I was passed like I was standing still.  Did I miss an Governors executive order lifting all speed limits?  anyone else notice this?  

I had to go from Belmont to University City on Monday, and even though I was doing around 60-65 in the middle lane, there was one jack-hole who sped around me and people on my left to get past us and go over to the left.  He summarily put his arm out the window and gave us the finger point to the right.  Basically telling us that we were going too slow.  Since I was not expecting much traffic and more police presence, I was keeping it safe.  But there were people FLYING by as if we were sitting still.  That was first time I have been on any of the interstates since 3/17 and the longest trip I have made since that day too.  I'm not taking any chances with getting a ticket.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2020 at 3:48 PM, Third Strike said:

Yeah, it’s the southern section. Though honestly, I would rather see a spur off the Blue Line, down South Tryon towards Steele Creek, then expanding any part of South Tryon. 

Imagine if they just spent the money to connect all those neighborhoods to each other instead of needlessly funneling all the traffic to 49. Probably cheaper too.

It gets congested there, but I didn't think it warranted six lanes?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NCDOT going to be halting lots of projects across the state due to cash mismanagement and falling below the minimum cash balance required by law. 

"With state tax revenue cut sharply by the coronavirus outbreak, the N.C. Department of Transportation now has less cash in its accounts than it is required to maintain by state law.The dwindling cash balance means the DOT cannot enter new contracts for supplies and equipment or begin new highway projects. It’s the first time the DOT has failed to maintain an adequate balance since the General Assembly set the minimum more than 10 years ago. The DOT estimates that it will receive about $300 million less in state tax revenue in March, April and May because people are traveling and spending less during the COVID-19 outbreak. The department has already laid off more than 350 temporary and contract workers and delayed the start of about 88 major construction projects."

https://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/as-ncdot-cash-runs-low-employees-and-projects-are-in-jeopardy/article_01a07641-9d6f-57f1-89e0-b6941b792fd6.html

41 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

NCDOT going to be halting lots of projects across the state due to cash mismanagement and falling below the minimum cash balance required by law. 

"With state tax revenue cut sharply by the coronavirus outbreak, the N.C. Department of Transportation now has less cash in its accounts than it is required to maintain by state law.The dwindling cash balance means the DOT cannot enter new contracts for supplies and equipment or begin new highway projects. It’s the first time the DOT has failed to maintain an adequate balance since the General Assembly set the minimum more than 10 years ago. The DOT estimates that it will receive about $300 million less in state tax revenue in March, April and May because people are traveling and spending less during the COVID-19 outbreak. The department has already laid off more than 350 temporary and contract workers and delayed the start of about 88 major construction projects."

https://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/as-ncdot-cash-runs-low-employees-and-projects-are-in-jeopardy/article_01a07641-9d6f-57f1-89e0-b6941b792fd6.html

My understanding was that any work underway already would be completed, as that money was already set aside to complete the contract. Any new work (probably including projects in design) would be halted. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 9:16 PM, kermit said:

Its a trend everywhere in the US, fatal car accidents are way up in the pandemic due to speed.

I am curious about your sources on this... this article says the exact opposite... https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-pandemic-us-california-michigan-illinois-fatal-car-crashes/

unless it's the other 24 states that CBS did not reach out to.

CBS News reached out to 26 states with a historically high number of traffic deaths, and found that fatal car crashes on California freeways dropped a stunning 84%

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

I am curious about your sources on this... this article says the exact opposite... https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-pandemic-us-california-michigan-illinois-fatal-car-crashes/

unless it's the other 24 states that CBS did not reach out to.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2020/04/09/covid-19-cuts-car-crashes-but-what-about-crash-rates/

The number of car crashes is indeed plummeting due to lower traffic volumes on American roads, but the rate of car crashes is actually up in many cities — as are the injury and fatality rates for both drivers and vulnerable users.

https://www.wbjournal.com/article/fatal-mass-car-crash-rate-doubled-in-april-despite-lockdown

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2020 at 9:47 AM, nicholas said:

Interstate speed limits are waaaaaay too low, almost to a point of ridiculousness.  We have speed limits based on vehicular limits from many decades ago, back when many cars were dangerous to drive at speeds in excess of 75mph or so, coupled with interstates that are engineered to comfortably accept higher and higher speeds (which, of course, are discouraged by rarely-enforced arbitrary speed limits).  Roads that have multiple directions of travel, intersections, pedestrians/cyclists, etc are one thing, and inner-city interstates probably shouldn't become Autobahns, but limited-access freeways with divided directions of travel??? Come on....

But to answer your question, yes I've noticed this, and um....may or may not have been partaking in it.

And to top it off, I have the same speed limit in a Tesla which can go 168MPH as a 40,000lb tractor trailer. Explain that...

And also 94 mph might not even be a pull over in suburban Atlanta. I-85 in Gwinnett and GA 400 (the alpharetta Autobahn), traffic speeds easily are above 85 not during rush hour.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

And to top it off, I have the same speed limit in a Tesla which can go 168MPH as a 40,000lb tractor trailer. Explain that...

And also 94 mph might not even be a pull over in suburban Atlanta. I-85 in Gwinnett and GA 400 (the alpharetta Autobahn), traffic speeds easily are above 85 not during rush hour.

Unfortunately, until drivers put their phones down, stop camping in the left lanes, start using their turn signals, and learn how to merge, we'll be stuck with arbitrary low speed limits based on vehicle, tire, and road technologies from 50+ years ago.

A user on another forum I'm on (who coincidentally also has a Tesla) drives between Raleigh and Wilmington regularly.  He said that the 130-mile stretch of I-40 between RDU and ILM has been an Autobahn, and that in many spots, the average speed of traffic is around 110 mph! :yahoo:Most of it is so flat and straight that a 100 mph speed limit would be entirely reasonable imo.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 2

My car dealer says the top speed of my car is governed at the factory by the speed rating of the tires chosen by the maker, minus 2-3 mph. ~145mph in my case. Theoretical top speed would require ECU adjustments and other factors that would eliminate manufacturer responsibility for any claim of any kind, repair or damage.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 5:43 PM, JRNYP2C said:

I had to go from Belmont to University City on Monday, and even though I was doing around 60-65 in the middle lane, there was one jack-hole who sped around me and people on my left to get past us and go over to the left.  He summarily put his arm out the window and gave us the finger point to the right.  Basically telling us that we were going too slow.  Since I was not expecting much traffic and more police presence, I was keeping it safe.  But there were people FLYING by as if we were sitting still.  That was first time I have been on any of the interstates since 3/17 and the longest trip I have made since that day too.  I'm not taking any chances with getting a ticket.

Sorry that was rude of me.  

• Haha 2