Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

On 5/18/2020 at 9:33 PM, KJHburg said:

I go to Nashville once a year (usually when it is the coldest and or wettest but I digress)   IF any city in America needs a complete bypass it is Nashville.  all the interstates do converge on downtown creating daytime traffic jams every day and not just in rush hours.  They have told me there (on their UP) they can not complete the 840 loop around Nashville due to rock and hills.  (I say do what it takes tunnels, blasting, etc) Too much truck and general traffic moves from the upper Midwest through Nashville to Atlanta and towards Florida.   They desperately need an alternative intown too  Bus Rapid Transit light rail something to get all the those commuters into downtown not to mention the millions of tourists that visit.  NC knows how to big highways (maybe not keep them in budget or on time) but build them better than TN and that goes for their secondary roads.  Plus NC DOT is more willing to try out new things like diverging diamonds (TN getting their first now), CFI intersections, toll roads, express lanes etc.

https://www.ncdot.gov/initiatives-policies/Transportation/safety-mobility/Pages/default.aspx

Highways in the south rated top tier states VA, FL, GA and NC  lower tier states and don't do a good job TN and SC.  

The completed section of 840 in Nashville already serves as a bypass around Nashville for I-40.  It's also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay farther outside of the city than any interstate loop I've seen by a huge margin, so it would be monumentally expensive to complete the loop (especially if a bunch of blasting and tunneling is required).  For comparison's sake, all of 485 has been completed, and it's about 68 miles in total.  Less than half of 840 is completed, and it is already over 77 miles long!  :shok:

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, teeg said:

If I understand your question, yes, that's allowed, and it's not at all unusual.  They do try to prevent duplication of three-digit highway numbers within a state, but they can be reused in another state if needed.  In addition to the I-840's you pointed out, there's an I-240 in Oklahoma City, Memphis, and Asheville, and an I-440 in Little Rock, Nashville, and Raleigh.    

Wow. TIL.

For some reason I was u see the impression that triple digit interstates were not repeated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Noticed that mowing contractors along 85 in Cabbarus County were picking up the trash as well as mowing, while in Mecklenburg they were just mowing over the trash (which is at a level I have never seen anywhere in NC before).

also some update pics of the flyover at Concord Mills. No workers present and progressing seemingly slowly.

51CC32F3-B93D-4842-AA79-69487E2EC2EA.jpeg

9D4B0607-388B-4D5F-B8CA-3AF28B7A70A3.jpeg

Edited by CLT>
Pics
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, elrodvt said:

What I don't get is why these primary roads are barely patrolled other than some ”special” times?

Not enough Troopers, and the few that are around are usually too busy filling out crash reports to enforce traffic laws. The announcement even said as much and that the Troopers for this crackdown were from neighboring counties.

I suspect they may do something similar in Wake soon. A moron going 100+ mph on 64 coming into Raleigh killed himself and two others last week.

• Sad 4