Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

There are three bond issues on the ballot this year. I'm torn about the Transportation Bond issue, specifically around the continued city investment in state roads. I get NCDOT is a mess and NCGA isn't going to give any money to Charlotte; I'm having a hard time with this:

SHALL the order authorizing $102,732,000 of bonds plus interest to provide funds to pay the capital costs of constructing, reconstructing, enlarging, extending and improving certain streets, including streets and roads constituting a part of the State highway system or otherwise the responsibility of the State and including the cost of related studies, streetscape and pedestrian improvements, relocation of utilities, plans and design; acquiring, constructing, reconstructing, widening, extending, paving, milling, resurfacing, grading or improving streets, roads, intersections, parking lots and pedestrian and bicycle paths; acquiring, constructing, reconstructing or improving sidewalks, curbs, gutters, storm drainage, bridges, overpasses, underpasses and grade crossings and providing related landscaping, lighting and traffic controls, signals and markers; and the acquisition of land and rights-of-way in land required therefor, and providing that additional taxes may be levied in an amount sufficient to pay the principal of and interest on the bonds be approved?

Looking at https://www.charlottenc.gov/charlottefuture/Pages/bonds.aspx it appears most of the bridge work was placed on hold late last year because NCDOT was and is cash constrained. The resurfacing is for mostly for resurfacing which was performed on bonds from prior years (and shared in a PDF, not a database). In spite of continuing discussions around bikes and a biking coordinator, I'm not seeing something systemic, rather I'm still feeling like it's a ton of disconnected, non-unified projects (10 miles of new bikeways each year in 50 ft. stretches).

Edited by davidclt

Study (in Nature Climate Change) estimates that conversion of 90% of US auto fleet to electric by 2050 is insufficient to meet CO2 reduction goals (and hold temperature rise at 2 deg C). Current EV ownership in US is 0.3%.  Study recommends:

The team concludes that getting to 90% EV ownership by 2050 is an unrealistic scenario. Instead, what they recommend is a mix of policies, including many designed to shift people out of personal passenger vehicles in favour of other modes of transportation.

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-electric-vehicles-wont-climate.html

• Like 4

On 10/1/2020 at 9:54 AM, JHart said:

The entire US shifting to EVs overnight still wouldn't offset the emissions that are put out by a handful of container ships  burning bunker oil out in the oceans. It is a step in the right direction and I'm a huge proponent for EVs and think they're superior to ICE vehicles, but they're the poster child for green living instead of more impactful climate change measures like not eating meat for individual consumers and large scale carbon taxes and emission regulations on corporations worldwide.

Agreed, I have a tesla charged by solar. But the bigger impact may be our shift to incredible meat. Airliner pollutants needs a big change as well. The difference in the air post 9-11 was amazing.

• Like 3

On 10/3/2020 at 4:07 PM, elrodvt said:

Agreed, I have a tesla charged by solar. But the bigger impact may be our shift to incredible meat. Airliner pollutants needs a big change as well. The difference in the air post 9-11 was amazing.

Whose shift to "incredible meat"? Not me. No way. Nope.

• Like 3

My families shift. I wasn't saying anytime else should.

Since you bring it up though, I'm surprised you feel eating cow is more important to you than preventing Miami from being underwater in 2040. Maybe you feel that's a false dichotomy as there are lots of other places we could reduce emissions and I can see that. It's just this is a very inexpensive step. No one appears willing to alter any aspect of their lifestyle or spend a dime on mitigation.

Just as so many refuse to put up with the slight inconvenience of wearing a mask to protect their neighbors.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, elrodvt said:

My families shift. I wasn't saying anytime else should.

Since you bring it up though, I'm surprised you feel eating cow is more important to you than preventing Miami from being underwater in 2040. Maybe you feel that's a false dichotomy as there are lots of other places we could reduce emissions and I can see that. It's just this is a very inexpensive step. No one appears willing to alter any aspect of their lifestyle or spend a dime on mitigation.

Just as so many refuse to put up with the slight inconvenience of wearing a mask to protect their neighbors.

Kudos to you and yours for helping where possible. I was just trying to be funny, that's all.

what are you thoughts on traffic right now compared to pre Covid earlier in the year?

My thoughts on day time traffic between 9-4 seems to be 90-95% back only thing missing is more school traffic.

Rush hours 6-9 am and 4-7 pm I would say 60-70% peak.  what is all of your thoughts?  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

what are you thoughts on traffic right now compared to pre Covid earlier in the year?

My thoughts on day time traffic between 9-4 seems to be 90-95% back only thing missing is more school traffic.

Rush hours 6-9 am and 4-7 pm I would say 60-70% peak.  what is all of your thoughts?  

Thoughts is yup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I drove through Atlanta this last weekend, first time in maybe 2 years. They had finished the construction north of Atlanta widening and also a project around Greenville, both made it a nicer easier drive. 
Are they widening 85 from the NC/Sc border down about 25 miles? From 4 lanes to 6 lanes?  When will this project be complete? 
NC is so far behind in widening from 485 to past kings mountain.  I think that’s still 10years out from even starting. This should have been done before the SC widening

it  should be 6 lanes from clt to atl. Wonder if that will happen in my lifetime. 

Edited by QClifer
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, QClifer said:

I drove through Atlanta this last weekend, first time in maybe 2 years. They had finished the construction north of Atlanta widening and also a project around Greenville, both made it a nicer easier drive. 
Are they widening 85 from the NC/Sc border down about 25 miles? From 4 lanes to 6 lanes?  When will this project be complete? 
NC is so far behind in widening from 485 to past kings mountain.  I think that’s still 10years out from even starting. This should have been done before the SC widening

it  should be 6 lanes from clt to atl. Wonder if that will happen in my lifetime. 

Construction on I-85 from Belmont to US 321 should happen in the next few years. The next sections, 321 to US 74 and US 74 to the SC line, are in the process of getting funds through the STIP. The earliest I see construction on I-85 finishing is late 2020s or early 2030s. 

I believe SC is already in the process of widening I-85 from the NC state line to wherever the current widening project ends. And apparently GA wants all Interstates in the state to be at least six lanes, so I-85 in Northeast Georgia should get widened at some point in time. The only stretch that isn’t on the books yet is in SC from the GA state line to somewhere south of Anderson I believe. 

If all projects get done at some point and time, I-85 will be at least six lanes from Durham to the Alabama state line in Georgia. 

• Like 2

Yes that is what Georgia wants and if you notice when you drive to Atlanta on 85 in northeast Georgia you will notice all their bridges are built or rebuilt to accommodate 6 lanes.  I-95 in Georgia is 6 lanes from SC to Florida already and large parts of I-75 are as well.    Georgia is one of the good roads states in the southeast and believe it or not I would put Florida and NC and VA in that list.  Not as good is Tennessee and SC is pretty bad in most places.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rancenc said:

thank goodness it has been a mess for years it is one of those divulging diamonds NC DOT loves these days. 

• Like 3

On 11/20/2020 at 4:23 PM, KJHburg said:

thank goodness it has been a mess for years it is one of those divulging diamonds NC DOT loves these days. 

Why do they love them?  My brother lives off Poplar Tent, and I have to take a deep breath when I exit there because that thing messes with my head.  And it's a bit difficult for my elderly father to navigate safely.

• Like 1