Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

1 hour ago, carolinaboy said:

It was better than three lights, yes. It just caught me by surprise because I'd never been there before.

We've got a few areas like that, the 485 exit to get to the Whitewater Center looks similar to your experience 

image.png.7121af0bdacbb2c65ec6e12534002988.png

But this one up by Mallard Creek area is the winner

image.thumb.png.a8f3711bde0c5befed08260189c7c844.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/9/2021 at 7:36 PM, tarhoosier said:

I went to Gary’s for BBQ last week and encountered it. 
it replaced a troubled interconnection that was confusing.

Gary’s has good BBQ. It also appears to be the epicenter of mask-free North Carolina.

FACTS all around. Southwestern Rowan County....That's a peculiar area.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
17 hours ago, nicholas said:

graham st corridor 001.jpg

So your proposal to realign Woodward Ave with 24th Street is in the master plan document for the "Applied Innovation Corridor," which included a series of CIP projects including the streetscape improvements currently underway.  Unfortunately the link on UP's development map is dead and I'm having trouble chasing down the document. (Image below is from the development map.) 

image.png.a4406b4a299f056ef065c63d67b6afaf.png

There has not been a similar proposal for changes around Dalton, but my concern with your drawing is that it just shifts the convergence clusterF south to Music Factory Blvd - in essence just moving the problem instead of resolving it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

So your proposal to realign Woodward Ave with 24th Street is in the master plan document for the "Applied Innovation Corridor," which included a series of CIP projects including the streetscape improvements currently underway.  Unfortunately the link on UP's development map is dead and I'm having trouble chasing down the document. (Image below is from the development map.) 

image.png.a4406b4a299f056ef065c63d67b6afaf.png

There has not been a similar proposal for changes around Dalton, but my concern with your drawing is that it just shifts the convergence clusterF south to Music Factory Blvd - in essence just moving the problem instead of resolving it. 

Yeah, the Dalton intersection is pretty tough. A roundabout might be the best bet there, or possibly extending Armour Dr across the tracks to Callahan St and routing through traffic onto the new connector (and removing part of Statesville Ave between Graham and Callahan St).  That would move the intersection for Statesville Ave traffic about a quarter mile up Graham St.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 4:24 PM, tozmervo said:

https://charlottenc.gov/charlottefuture/CIP/aic/Pages/default.aspx

• Like 2

On 11/25/2021 at 4:21 PM, KJHburg said:

On my way to Kannapolis decided to try the new flyover into Concord Mills on this holiday with few people around.  The flyover makes has a sharp curve then splits into 2 lanes.  They really need the signage and arrows on this as it is easy to go up it too fast then have to brake hard in the curve.  DOT should have insisted the signage up before it opened. 

the new BJs Brewhouse is under construction outside the mall too.  there is also 3 turning lanes out of the mall under the bridge and I-85 is a block away which should help with leaving the mall.

IMG_5684.JPG

IMG_5685.JPG

Definitely going to be ripping around that corner for fun.

• Haha 3

The Roadway Expansion Paradox

Motorists want expensive roadway expansions provided that somebody else foots the bill, but when required to pay directly through tolls, the need for more capacity often disappears. What should planners do?

• Like 4