Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

^Just seems odd to consolidate ramps on Trade St  rather than 5th Street, given CityLYNX.  Does Charlotte just design everything around the car?

If they design it right and with the line with the ROW there could be traffic lights that prioritize the streetcar as it passes through.
  • Like 3

On 12/11/2021 at 9:20 AM, southslider said:

Sure, the State may have more influence over Norfolk Southern, but the local transit agency faces the political consequences for pretending as if the Red Line were ever realistically probable. 

No, they don't as the Dillon's Rule is the state not the localities have the ultimate decision to clear the right of way.  If the conservative-leaning ones in northern Mecklenburg County start that bs then they are looking for a political scapegoat. Anyone with smartphone access can Google this and repost this locally, and the higher education attainment and income levels here reaffirm this is not an excuse.  They should be taking their fight to Moore & Crew in the NCGA along with Governor Cooper with the North Carolina Railroad Commission negotiations with Norfolk-Southern over the Red Line.  

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, JeanClt said:

As for the Uptown section of I-77…

This might be what it ends up looking like or similar to this around Trade.

2f95f22862ad00c1555fe336e483e3f4.jpg

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/489e93c4-8123-4b16-b432-74aa30946139/2021-0810_5%20Points%20Forward%20Public%20Draft%20Report.pdf

Is this from CCCP / Historic West End? 

On 12/12/2021 at 7:13 PM, tozmervo said:

Fifth street is a one way road through there heading away from uptown. 

5th St is 2 way until you get to the intersection with 6th St and that parking deck entrance.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Third Strike said:

Ran across this nifty website that lets you re-envision roads, transit, bike lanes and more. Couldn’t get the website to load on iPhone but it does work on Windows. Pretty fun tool:

https://streetmix.net

Yes!  I played around with it when I was trying to envision a rework for a Monroe Road alignment of the silver line. Really helps visualize how much space cars need.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I drove down 77 to the south side of Rock Hill and there was some massive road or exit being built between exit 82 (cherry) and 79 (Dave Lyle).  Anybody have the info on what that is?

Edit: Oh I just zoomed in on google maps and it says Panthers training facility and HQ.  So I reckon that's it, huh?

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Traffic really is rebounding.

@NCTurnpike

Authority reports revenue from Monroe bypass in Union County rose 37% in quarter ended Sept. 30, 2021 vs. year earlier and 34% in quarter ended June 30. 2021 after double digit declines earlier in 2021.

I have gone on the tolled bypass a couple of times in the last 6 months myself.  Time is money and it does save time heading east to Wilmington and Brunsco beaches. 

• Like 4

On 2/15/2022 at 10:08 PM, KJHburg said:

These stretches of I-77 cause slowdowns during boating season when scantily clad people are on their boats close to the 77 causeway.   Y'all know what I am talking about in the summer. 

This is the largest body of water on I-77 south of Lake Erie in Cleveland.    "Myrtle, look how big this lake is.   Let me slow down and take a photo.  what is that girl wearing?!?"

spring boating season will be here sooner than you think! 

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

It is a little shocking just how big Norman is, and in particular just how many waterfront homes there are on its shores. I'm surprised it's not talked about more as a significant feature of the Charlotte region. I once tried to look up if there was some sort of ranking for # of waterfront homes on a single body of water because I was sure Norman would be somewhere near the top. But couldn't find anything. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1