Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

On 3/17/2022 at 3:59 PM, RANYC said:

Today's Charlotte Ledger highlights the city's laggard pace in building sidewalks.  Funding in the upcoming bond cycle will triple, but apparently we have 245 miles of need, and target 10 new miles per year although we're struggling to even meet the 10-mile mark.  Almost fell out of my chair upon learning that sidewalk construction now running $4-$8 million per mile as the city pushes into much more suburban areas.  

I'd question the 245 miles of need, however.  I've seen sidewalks under construction in parts of the city where no one really walks, probably no one intends to walk, and where walkers would be in a pretty hostile environment for pedestrians  just given how fast folks are driving mere inches from the curbside.

On the other hand, I've seen parts of the city where people not only walk for recreation, but out of basic need such as for grocery shopping, doctor visits, picking up kids from school, or to a bus stop and on to work.  And in these locations, I've seen where sidewalks either don't exist, are in bad shape, or aren't sufficiently protected from adjacent traffic. 

I'd like to see 245 miles of "sidewalk need" further filtered by these other considerations.  At some point, we must prioritize.  Some parts of suburban Charlotte aren't walkable, are proudly auto-centric, and its denizens like it that way, so why force a vanity sidewalk project?

The IIJA law requires any roadway project that uses federal funds to include sidewalks and non-motorized oriented infrastructure is why.  Otherwise it'll have to be only local or state funds used which these days no local jurisdiction is really able to do much without federal funds support. That's why these "vanity" projects are being done in suburban areas of Charlotte. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing to me how little traffic enforcement there is in Charlotte metro.  I feel I can drive whatever speed I like with very little chance of being ticketed. Half the cops are driving 15 over while playing with their laptops for crying out loud.

This must result in avoidable deaths every year.

• Haha 1

It's amazing to me how little traffic enforcement there is in Charlotte metro.  I feel I can drive whatever speed I like with very little chance of being ticketed. Half the cops are driving 15 over while playing with their laptops for crying out loud.
This must result in avoidable deaths every year.

Not just that! For some reason I notice people are much more aggressive there than any other areas of interstate I’ve driven on in the area. A lot of lane switching usually leads to higher conflict points. People generally drive like maniacs more than usual there and I can’t figure out why? Cutting people off at close proximity generally arrogant driving making it harder to switch lanes and get where you’re going sometimes. Not sure. Overall US drivers suck as a whole. We have 0 respect for others and frankly sometimes I feel as tho most people don’t know how a high way should be used. It’s probably our lax driving tests and requirements as opposed to Western European countries. They seem to drive better generally. Some of those countries have more restrictions to getting a license.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have news, or a DOT leak, or a rumor, or speculation about when Providence Road (NC 16)  between Weddington and Waxhaw will be widened?

It's been slated for four-laning for more than a decade.  Three or four years ago, the utility poles were moved away from the existing two-lane road to allow for widening.  And then -- nada.

Residential development, and some retail, continues to boom in Waxhaw.  NC 16 is often bumper-to-bumper, not just during rush hours, but in the middle of the day.  And it seems to be getting worse every day.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

Does anyone have news, or a DOT leak, or a rumor, or speculation about when Providence Road (NC 16)  between Weddington and Waxhaw will be widened?

NCDOT keeps delaying the project (U-5769), the latest official programmed year for construction being 2027, though possibly delayed another year to 2028.

• Thanks 2