Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

16 hours ago, kayman said:

Yeah the STIP has been an utter failure for urban areas. The so-called removing political influence from the transportation funding process didn't take. It's why we should consistently be on our respective state legislative representation about fixing and making this process more equitable for urban areas and statewide with NCDOT.

Yep, equally dividing funding by 7 regions and 14 divisions that all follow County boundary combinations, regardless of their populations and economic needs is absolutely flawed and failing NC.  Spending transportation dollars on geography, instead of people and jobs, only creates more useless miles to maintain, instead of helping move more people and grow more jobs.

• Like 3

Not related directly to Charlotte, but there are plans to designate and upgrade US 421 to an Interstate, from Winston-Salem to Wilkesboro. I think the Triad has the record of having the most Interstates in the state:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2022/10/11/interstate-status-sought-for-western-us-421.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Third Strike said:

Not related directly to Charlotte, but there are plans to designate and upgrade US 421 to an Interstate, from Winston-Salem to Wilkesboro. I think the Triad has the record of having the most Interstates in the state:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2022/10/11/interstate-status-sought-for-western-us-421.html

What is even needed to upgrade it to an interstate? Pretty sure it's already completely limited access from W-S to Wilkesboro.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2022 at 11:07 PM, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Nashville just voted to remove parking minimums. Didn't take a multi year study to get it passed, either.

That's what a state home rule charter for municipalities in a state constitution will get you.  If NCGA would amend the constitution and allow home rule such as peer states then you would see less ruminating over things. This ruminations are hopes the naysayers will grow tired and stop caring about the topic deliberated. Local governments should have majority of not total control on their own laws and ordinances not what the state governments allows them to do. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

the free NC quick pass sticker I have is good in just 3 states but that is good for me NC GA and FL.  (and when I am in Miami in Jan. I will be SunPassing it with my NC Quick Pass)  The transponders can be used all over as you said.  

Honestly seems like we're a little ahead in that regard. The stickers are really nice and not an eyesore like the transponder. I expect EZ-pass to try and catch up one day introducing stickers of their own.

1 hour ago, Reverie39 said:

Honestly seems like we're a little ahead in that regard. The stickers are really nice and not an eyesore like the transponder. I expect EZ-pass to try and catch up one day introducing stickers of their own.

In NC the transponder account is tied to a license plate.  My son lost the transponder tied to the plate on my car.  I called to get it replaced but the turnpike agent told me don't worry about it.  As long as the plate is tied to an active account, they charge the toll as if you have the transponder displayed automatically.  That was over 2 years ago.  I haven't tried using that car out of NC yet but every time I get my monthly statement it just lists my plate number and charges the transponder rate.      

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

the free NC quick pass sticker I have is good in just 3 states but that is good for me NC GA and FL.  (and when I am in Miami in Jan. I will be SunPassing it with my NC Quick Pass)  The transponders can be used all over as you said.  

Yep - I was wondering about the Sticker.  It is only good in those limited States.  I was on I-77N in West Virginia and they couldn’t read the Sticker so had to stop & pay cash.

• Like 1

Oh Lord, the West Virginia Turnpike. For those who may be making the trip north I recommend you look to your left shortly after you enter Kanawha County and you may see a tunnel of the Turnpike now bypassed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_National_Response

I rode the turnpike in the 60's headed from Tennessee to Pittsburgh. The WVA Pike was mostly three lanes with the center lane for passing in both directions. Picture that on those mountains and curves. Looking down from the heights of the Pike we could see the winding roads of the hollows far below us with rusting autos and assorted appliances accumulating in and near the creek, unpainted cabins, and we were thankful for what West Virginia had provided us. The tunnels were two lanes as no overtaking, thank you jeebus. One took a turnpike computer card at the entry point, wherever it may be, and at exit the fare was calculated. We were driving the entire distance from Beckley to Charleston. We would pay the full amount. A lost or unreadable card was assessed the full amount also. We knew we were planning to exceed the speed limit the whole way so the time stamp on the card may have provided evidence of our crime. As soon as were were safely out of sight of the entry toll both we threw the card from the window and when we reached Charleston claimed it had blown out .

"Full fare, please." "With pleasure."

• Like 2

The E 4th/Providence Rd connector at the intersection with Kings Dr needs a fix. Inevitably, traffic from E 4th tries to move to the left lane for access to the inner Belk Frwy, while Providence traffic wants to merge right for access to the outer Belk/Independence. If each road were given its own green, not only would it alleviate the dangerous lane changes from one side to the other at the merging of two separate roads, it would also allow for left turns from E 4th and right turns from Providence.  

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 9:32 AM, kayman said:

Meanwhile, the NCDOT refuses to upgrade US 74 from Briar Creek Road to I-485 to a fully limited access freeway with access roads allowing the existing local businesses along the route to remain.  They could even cheat off the paper of TXDOT with its at-grade highway conversions to limited access freeways across their state. 

If NCDOT upgraded Brookshire and Independence to limited access freeways within I-485, I'm sure Charlotte could do things highway-related maintenance in its own. 

Preach!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember you all, NCDOT is the only state DOT in the country who bypassed doing ramp metering trial studies along an actual congested corridor in its largest region, Charlotte.  Instead chose to do it along a moderately congested corridor in its capital region, Raleigh.

https://www.ncdot.gov/initiatives-policies/Transportation/safety-mobility/on-ramp-signals/Pages/default.aspx

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/I-540-ramp-meters-reactivated.aspx

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.newsobserver.com/news/local/article262920473.html

Yet the I-77 corridor between I-277 and NC/SC stateline is the most frequently used and congested corridor during travel peak hours in the entire state has nothing but grief for the average driver.  Ramp metering could have been tried out along I-77 and likely shown they are a good idea to implement statewide with no 2-year pause in the study. 77 was congested the entire pandemic regardless. I have driven on it and it's been this way nonstop. 

If that's not proof that NCDOT priorities are in the wrong places then I don't know what is. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, kayman said:

Remember you all, NCDOT is the only state DOT in the country who bypassed doing ramp metering trial studies along an actual congested corridor in its largest region, Charlotte.  Instead chose to do it along a moderately congested corridor in its capital region, Raleigh.

https://www.ncdot.gov/initiatives-policies/Transportation/safety-mobility/on-ramp-signals/Pages/default.aspx

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/I-540-ramp-meters-reactivated.aspx

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.newsobserver.com/news/local/article262920473.html

Yet the I-77 corridor between I-277 and NC/SC stateline is the most frequently used and congested corridor during travel peak hours in the entire state has nothing but grief for the average driver.  Ramp metering could have been tried out along I-77 and likely shown they are a good idea to implement statewide with no 2-year pause in the study. 77 was congested the entire pandemic regardless. I have driven on it and it's been this way nonstop. 

If that's not proof that NCDOT priorities are in the wrong places then I don't know what is. 

Seems like it wouldn't really be difficult to implement either, huh? It's not some gigantic amount of engineering to basically install a traffic light. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2022 at 12:30 PM, Reverie39 said:

Seems like it wouldn't really be difficult to implement either, huh? It's not some gigantic amount of engineering to basically install a traffic light. 

It doesn't. The fiber optic installation into the pavement due to repaving area of installation are the most costly expenditures. There's already a regional network or traffic cameras that allows real-time monitoring of roadway conditions and congestion volumes. 

That's why I am going to keep my foot on NCDOT's neck about how they constantly underfund Charlotte while over-accommodating the Triangle on for things a much larger urban area like a regional ramp metering system, limited-access conversion with local access roads of Independence (and possibly Brookshire). All of these things  are needed like yesterday.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kayman said:

It doesn't. The fiber optic installation into the pavement due to repaving area of installation is the most costly expenditures. There's already a regional network or traffic cameras that allows real-time monitoring of roadway conditions and congestion volumes. 

That's why I am going to keep my foot on NCDOT's neck about how they constantly underfund Charlotte while over-accommodating the Triangle on for things a much larger urban area like a regional ramp metering system, limited-access conversion with local access roads of Independence (and possibly Brookshire). All of these things  are needed like yesterday.

The bottleneck where westbound lanes are merging from 485 onto 85 is horrendous. It goes from 4 lanes down to one. There was a similar problem in the Triangle where 2 westbound lanes off 540 merged into one lane to get on 40 but not as bad. NCDOT fixed that a few years ago. You need to stay on them hard until they fix it. That traffic gridlock unacceptable.

• Like 1