Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

For a pricing example, the last time I used Bird in October was to get home from Protagonist LoSo which is about a mile from my house.  With fees it was $9.74!  I should have looked more into pricing before hopping on because I would have def walked instead

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

>>I have noticed myself you don't see as many people riding scooters as much.  Is this because of less time in the office, the cost rising for the rides or a combination of both or something else? Or has it just not recovered post Covid?  the best year was 2019 and maybe the novelty has worn off.  

I used to commute home from the office on a scooter but quit ages ago when the cost rose to 2x above what the train cost. The pricing scheme for each of them is confusing now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 11:19 AM, abttown said:

Going to take a moment to kvetch a bit. Has anyone else driven on the 277 Brookshire Blvd overpasses lately? I think NCDOT? did some bridge work/resurfacing and wow, the transitions from the road to bridge surfaces are awful. It almost seems as if they installed speed bumps on the road, which in retrospect may encourage folks to slow down, but holy moly is it a bumpy ride! Are they finished with the road work or is this just a temporary fix?

Yeahhh it's been like that for months.  I'm pretty sure I caught some air on my sportbike riding through there a few months back, and have done my best to avoid 277 since.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 11:34 AM, KJHburg said:

NC DOT has made it clear any widening of 77 south will be tolled lanes either done by the state (way in the future) or quicker by a private company.   And yes I think it would make the northern Meck people feel better equity and all that.  I was with my Atlanta friends this week and we jumped on express lanes coming south from Mooresville.  At first she said NO we will get a fine.  I told her they would bill by mail.  Well I looked up Peach Pass lanes in GA and yes if you dont have a NC Quick Pass or SunPass from FL or a GA Peach Pass you would get a hefty ticket in Georgia.  I told her NC has better toll technology with license plate readers.  I have used my little NC Quick Pass sticker in Georgia and Florida with no problems.  

https://www.wbtv.com/2023/02/16/ncdot-new-toll-lanes-definitely-coming-i-77-charlotte/

I think the NC QuickPass is the only toll pass which is E-ZPass, Peach Pass and SunPass compatible (it appears Florida may be in the process of complete integration).

Edited by davidclt
  • Like 3

On 2/17/2023 at 11:34 AM, KJHburg said:

I told her NC has better toll technology with license plate readers.  

https://www.wbtv.com/2023/02/16/ncdot-new-toll-lanes-definitely-coming-i-77-charlotte/

Georgia absolutely has plate readers, but I think the entire point of peach pass is to give more options to commuters who have the pass, and not someone from out of state who is just trying to jump into a lane to avoid traffic... and for the state to greatly profit on someone who does so. 

6 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Georgia absolutely has plate readers, but I think the entire point of peach pass is to give more options to commuters who have the pass, and not someone from out of state who is just trying to jump into a lane to avoid traffic... and for the state to greatly profit on someone who does so. 

Yes I realized that after I talked with another friend in Cobb as he had changed to a vanity plate but still have the Peach pass and was ticketed.  He did get it straightened out with the state but not sure why they would not want additional revenue and they can charge more money as NC does for bill by mail. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Yes I realized that after I talked with another friend in Cobb as he had changed to a vanity plate but still have the Peach pass and was ticketed.  He did get it straightened out with the state but not sure why they would not want additional revenue and they can charge more money as NC does for bill by mail. 

BC the traffic on I-85 in Gwinnett and I-75 in Henry county make I-77 look like I-277. People want the toll lanes to be punitive for not regular users. 

32 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

Not in a million years. Spend that money on a commuter line from SC and an expanded Blue Line.

What would the toll lanes bring? Certainly not congestion relief for most drivers.

We'll likely wind up with all of the above (I-77 managed lanes, LYNX Blue Line extension to Ballantyne, and as it's a part of the Connect Beyond long range implementation strategy to have commuter rail to the South Carolina suburbs).

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 7:37 PM, KJHburg said:

not sure why they would not want additional revenue and they can charge more money as NC does for bill by mail. 

I was in Atlanta and called the city while sitting on 85 trying to get downtown. I would have GLADLY paid the extra if they had had the technology (at the time...2012ish) to snap my license plate and bill me. I was told I couldn't use the pay lanes even though there were 3 adults and an infant in the vehicle... btw.. didn't 85 have HOV lanes into Atlanta once upon a time? 

Edited by Take2

2 hours ago, Take2 said:

I was in Atlanta and called the city while sitting on 85 trying to get downtown. I would have GLADLY paid the extra if they had had the technology (at the time...2012ish) to snap my license plate and bill me. I was told I couldn't use the pay lanes even though there were 3 adults and an infant in the vehicle... btw.. didn't 85 have HOV lanes into Atlanta once upon a time? 

My friend in Cobb got a $200 ticket because he switched license plates but still had the Peach Pass on the car.  He got it worked out with the state but basically unless you have a Peach Pass (or NC quick pass or a FL Sunpass) you can't drive on their lanes at all.  No other state does that I know of with their toll roads.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Toll revenue up 70% in 2022 over the year before on the 77 express lanes.

https://www.wfae.org/charlotte-area/2023-04-09/interstate-77-toll-revenue-jumped-nearly-70-in-last-year

I think the state needs to go ahead and build the 77 express lanes south but float bonds to pay them off with tolls.

I'm very curious about the statistic on wrecks. Anecdotally I find it hard to believe that wrecks dropped by nearly half, but I'm pretty impressed if this data is reflective of reality. Construction started at the very end of 2015, so a comparison of 2015 to 2022 per miles driven seems appropriate. 

image.png.4440a170214a6037e3d838b40893b4f7.png