Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

On 4/23/2023 at 12:25 PM, nicholas said:

I've driven Raleigh to Charlotte and vice versa via 49/64 probably at least a hundred times.  Going through Asheville was the worst part of the trip by miles.  There are soooo many traffic lights and everyone there drives so damn slowly, and there's traffic literally 24/7.  Always dreaded driving through there so was glad they finally built a bypass.  Building the bypass to the north of the city would have been shorter for US 64, but considering the zoo is on the south side and so much through traffic follows NC 49 to/from Charlotte, it made a lot more sense to build on the south side.

That said, I mainly stick to 85/40 when going between Raleigh and Charlotte now since the construction through Concord and Kannapolis has been completed.  Although the stretch of 40 between the 85 split and Chapel Hill sucks and it looks like they're doing preliminary construction to finally widen that section.

That stretch of 40 near Chapel Hill is horrific. I can't believe it has survived as two lanes for this long. Widening needed to happen decades ago. It is surreal to drive towards the Triangle, a sizable metro area, and watch the freeway you are on narrow right as you enter lol.

• Like 3

On 4/24/2023 at 2:39 PM, KJHburg said:

NC needs good rural roads as we are a major agricultural state 9th biggest according to USDA,  Plus our resort destinations are beach and mountain rural communities.  

It is true we don't have county roads only state or city roads.  I guess we can cut the state DOT budget and increase property taxes across the state in each 100 counties to make up for it.  ( I am joking on that) 

I dont think NC is any way of increasing auto dependency compared to any other state that is as rural as our state still is.  

https://www.osbm.nc.gov/blog/2020/11/19/north-carolina-rural-or-urban#:~:text=Considered a rural state for,Carolina has become increasingly urban.

Per NC OMB, the description of what is rural versus urban is very bizarre.  As they classified what is urban by municipal population.  The new 2020 US Census designation of urban versus rural is bit more clear although it's confusing and screwed with because of GOP political meddling. 

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/12/29/2022-28286/2020-census-qualifying-urban-areas-and-final-criteria-clarifications#:~:text=As a result of the,7 in the Island Areas.

North Carolina is an urban state as over 50+٪ of the state population are in 2020 US Census designated urban areas.  That's the future of our state is the enlarging urban areas. We shouldn't be ignoring nor neglecting our largest urban area like Charlotte to build more rural roads.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, JHart said:

"Despite the increase in vehicles, the accident rate has fallen from 196 accidents per 100,000,000 Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT) in 2015 prior to the start of construction to 103 accidents per 100,000,000 VMT in 2022. That’s a more than 90% drop"

I don't trust their self-reported numbers to begin with in their advertisement, but after seeing their math I'm now convinced every number is completely made up. 

I was just about to say…that math ain’t mathin’…

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 12:45 AM, Windsurfer said:

Look at any road map of the state.  We've paved literally every driveway.  Compare to, say Missouri.   The maintenance on all these roads is expensive.  Where I'm living now, in Oregon,  most of the roads in rural areas are gravel. Granted it has about 1/4 the population but, gravel roads serve well enough and are used frequently in the populous areas.

I lived on a dirt rd in Rowan County until it was paved around 1990ish along with most other off rds in the county. My guess is that it wqs the late late 80s and eaely 90s until most rural roads in NC were paved. Even then it wasnt the best pavement.

3 hours ago, Take2 said:

I lived on a dirt rd in Rowan County until it was paved around 1990ish along with most other off rds in the county. My guess is that it wqs the late late 80s and eaely 90s until most rural roads in NC were paved. Even then it wasnt the best pavement.

Okay, perhaps I shouldn't have said "literally".   Still, pull out an old road map from the 70s or 80s and compare it to another state. It's the biggest pile of spaghetti of paved roads imaginable. 

• Like 1

""The N.C. Department of Transportation said this week it will spend the summer analyzing a private proposal made last year to build a $2 billion toll lane expansion of Interstate 77 between uptown and the S.C. state line, with a decision to follow on whether to keep the proposal as an option for the Charlotte Regional Transportation Planning Organization.  

CRTPO and the state transportation department will continue to examine both private and traditional, taxpayer-funded options no matter the verdict on the proposal from I-77 Mobility Partners.  

Trying to solve traffic congestion for commuters traveling between South Carolina suburbs and uptown Charlotte dates to 2007, when the regional governing body began studying the issue. In 2014, CRTPO decided that, if it expands I-77 along the southern corridor, it would do so using toll lanes to manage traffic flow and guarantee more efficient travel times through demand-based pricing.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/05/19/crtpo-i-77-mobility-partners-toll-express-lanes.html

• Like 3

On 5/28/2023 at 9:20 AM, cowboy_wilhelm said:

Remember that Monroe is tolled and uses a different funding mechanism.

The extra cost of building a fully controlled-access facility on completely new right-of-way makes for a good turnpike candidate, especially if wanting to build such high-cost corridor all at once.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rancenc said:

Nice separated bike lanes, too bad they couldn't  have continued them onto Research and David Taylor (at least through the sections that will be widened).

• Like 4

On 5/26/2023 at 12:11 AM, nicholas said:

Is there any rational explanation for why this project has taken so long just to get to this point?  I mean the Monroe bypass is about the same length and was completed in three years.  Shelby has been a noticeable bottleneck for Asheville-Charlotte traffic for ages and construction on the bypass started TEN years ago, yet somehow we are still a looooooong ways away from completion.  Looking at some of the active and proposed projects out there, I just have a hard time believing that building a loop around Winston-Salem, widening US 221 between West Jefferson and US 421, widening US 321 to six lanes from Hickory to Lenoir, building bypasses around numerous small towns and cities along US 70 between Raleigh and Morehead City, etc, is more important than finally finishing the Shelby bypass that currently essentially serves as an expensive highway to nowhere (and really shouldn't have been necessary in the first place if the original Shelby bypass had been built as a limited-access highway). 

I get wanting to prioritize projects fairly in consideration of traffic volumes and population levels throughout of the state, but I feel like connecting our biggest cities should be the highest priority especially since there is not a lot that still needs to be done at this point.  We basically just need an Asheville-Charlotte-Wilmington interstate connection. 

Applause Applause!! 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Glad to see parts of the I-85 widening from Spartanburg to the NC SC state line is complete and rest is nearing completion.  Now NC needs to widen its short stretch from the state line to US 74 in Kings Mountain.  This is a super important corridor to Charlotte from the upstate of SC to Charlotte and now NC will have the most narrowest link.  

Interestingly SC's most southern 19 miles are also only 2 lanes, while Georgia constructs and additional lane to the SC border. So the only 2 lane stretch of 85 between Atlanta and Charlotte will be the first 19 miles of SC and the first 10 miles of NC. 

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Interestingly SC's most southern 19 miles are also only 2 lanes, while Georgia constructs and additional lane to the SC border. So the only 2 lane stretch of 85 between Atlanta and Charlotte will be the first 19 miles of SC and the first 10 miles of NC. 

I only know of GA plans widening to Commerce, which leaves them about 30 miles short of the state line. 

• Like 2