Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

I can't decide if Perdue is just digging her hole even deeper, or is a visionary beyond the comprehension of the State Treasury. A number of media outlets are reporting on emails that took place before and during the announcement of this new financing plan - emails that generally question the sanity and validity of the plan. I'm just not sure what to make of this whole situation.

[Observer]

I can't decide if Perdue is just digging her hole even deeper, or is a visionary beyond the comprehension of the State Treasury. A number of media outlets are reporting on emails that took place before and during the announcement of this new financing plan - emails that generally question the sanity and validity of the plan. I'm just not sure what to make of this whole situation.

[Observer]

I'm confused. Hasn't this type of financing worked before in other states? Either way, she is going to have to find a way to finish it and start construction next year or else her political career and reputation are toast.

I'm confused. Hasn't this type of financing worked before in other states? Either way, she is going to have to find a way to finish it and start construction next year or else her political career and reputation are toast.

Just because it has worked in other states does not mean that it will work in NC. It still depends on state laws, financial situation and, of course, politics. I would assume the Perdue administration has thoroughly vetted the legality and financial viability of it, but they have less control over the politics.

My own opinion, admittedly without a lot of knowledge of the inner workings of NC state government, is that it is a perfectly legit albeit innovative plan that some are trying to shoot down for whatever reason, probably ego and/or politics (which does not have to be opposite parties).

Let us not forget that this would not have been necessary had the Highway "Trust" fund not been raided repeatedly to prop up general government spending.

Just because it has worked in other states does not mean that it will work in NC. It still depends on state laws, financial situation and, of course, politics. I would assume the Perdue administration has thoroughly vetted the legality and financial viability of it, but they have less control over the politics.

My own opinion, admittedly without a lot of knowledge of the inner workings of NC state government, is that it is a perfectly legit albeit innovative plan that some are trying to shoot down for whatever reason, probably ego and/or politics (which does not have to be opposite parties).

Let us not forget that this would not have been necessary had the Highway "Trust" fund not been raided repeatedly to prop up general government spending.

Can you imagine the outcry if this had been a plan for light rail?

I would assume the Perdue administration has thoroughly vetted the legality and financial viability of it, but they have less control over the politics.

I have been assuming (hoping?) the same thing, but the recently released emails make me question that assumption. They may have done some vetting, but apparently not with some key people in Raleigh.

I have been assuming (hoping?) the same thing, but the recently released emails make me question that assumption. They may have done some vetting, but apparently not with some key people in Raleigh.

Yeah, I was just reading some of the emails, it does sound like they may have jumped the gun on announcing this. If she has to come back and say they can't do it after all. . . . oh, boy, watch out for the flame throwers, Bev.

Google recently dumped TeleAtlas as their map provider and is doing it in-house now. You can click on "Report a Problem" in the bottom right corner to communicate mapping errors to Google. I think changes and updates should be much quicker and more responsive in the future.

I used this function to report the bottom half of the 130 bypass around Austin not being on the map (even though it's been done for many months). A few weeks later, it's there. BUT, it's not used in their driving directions! It looks like they just drew it in using the satellite photo as a guide. I'm sure they'll fix it soon.

I see 485 is fully integrated, including driving directions.

On further google map inspection, City Blvd makes it all the way to N Tryon now. They also rolled out a slew of new businesses on the map (you can adjust business locations by clicking on them and selecting "edit" - I fixed a bunch a while back and those changes have become permanent now).

So University City Blvd will soon connect directly to City Blvd as a four-way intersection w/ N Tryon, right? I would expect the BLE would bridge over that particular intersection.

The color coded roadsigns aka "Vehicular Parking and Wayfinding" for the Center City is on the City Councils agenda for approval on Monday. The signs are expected to be installed by April 2010.

I work in the facility that makes highway signs and we just got the order for those signs today. Many of them will have the Charlotte crown in the upper left and the color coded N,S,E,W for the cardinal directions to various attractions. There are 39 large (type A) signs of which 23 are split signs (more than 12 feet in height). Some are as high as 19 feet. That is a lot of large signs! It will take a while to build these monsters.

On further google map inspection, City Blvd makes it all the way to N Tryon now. They also rolled out a slew of new businesses on the map (you can adjust business locations by clicking on them and selecting "edit" - I fixed a bunch a while back and those changes have become permanent now).

So University City Blvd will soon connect directly to City Blvd as a four-way intersection w/ N Tryon, right? I would expect the BLE would bridge over that particular intersection.

My son and I were going to Ikea the other night from UCB, man what a 'can't get there from here' scenario that is. We almost missed the City Blvd. turn from N. Tryon in the pouring rain.

They are showing Ikea on there, that's pretty good for most map-making as it only opened recently. Google may be setting the new standard for keeping maps up to date. Microsoft sure isn't with Navteq/Bing.

Google still isn't showing the new airport area configuration though.

I work in the facility that makes highway signs and we just got the order for those signs today. Many of them will have the Charlotte crown in the upper left and the color coded N,S,E,W for the cardinal directions to various attractions. There are 39 large (type A) signs of which 23 are split signs (more than 12 feet in height). Some are as high as 19 feet. That is a lot of large signs! It will take a while to build these monsters.

I hope there are some going on 77.

Were there any that actually had the words 'Charlotte Douglas Airport' instead of a cutesy little airplane picture?

Yes, North Tryon and University City Blvd will be a four-way intersection, but the BLE will go over it.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/City+Engineering/See+Our+Projects/Transportation/Roads/NC+49+-+US+29.htm

My son and I were going to Ikea the other night from UCB, man what a 'can't get there from here' scenario that is. We almost missed the City Blvd. turn from N. Tryon in the pouring rain.

They are showing Ikea on there, that's pretty good for most map-making as it only opened recently. Google may be setting the new standard for keeping maps up to date. Microsoft sure isn't with Navteq/Bing.

Google still isn't showing the new airport area configuration though.

I hope there are some going on 77.

Were there any that actually had the words 'Charlotte Douglas Airport' instead of a cutesy little airplane picture?

Yes, North Tryon and University City Blvd will be a four-way intersection, but the BLE will go over it.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/City+Engineering/See+Our+Projects/Transportation/Roads/NC+49+-+US+29.htm

WOW! Who knew that this one intersection would take three whole years to complete. March 2010 - March 2013 seems like a long time. I understand that there are a lot of utilities there and an entire overpass to demolish while diverting traffic in the meantime, but the undertaking of this didn't feel initially like it would take them that long. Glad I'm getting out of UCity before that clusterf*ck gets worse during construction.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we're going to end up with two overburdened, traffic-clogging intersections (a la Harris Blvd. and Hwy. 49 just down the road) within a few hundred feet of each other. While I realize there were budget issues that caused the alterations to this plan, I think this is going to be a big mess and is typical of how road projects around here get done half-a$$ from the beginning. I'm just sayin.....

^Ironically, Harris/Tryon is ultimately planned to be grade-separated. At Harris, Tryon is US-29, which is what I think P-Mguy meant. At Harris, University City Blvd, or NC-49, is already grade-separated.

Oops...you're right. I did mean Hwy. 29 instead of 49. Have always had the hardest time keeping those two straight in my head!