Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

My comment about flyovers didn't pertain to the turbine proposed for I-485/I-85.

Raleigh has countless interchanges that need left flyovers as opposed to the old-fashioned cloverleafs. Some examples include the I-40 interchanges at RDU Intl Airport, Wade Ave at I-440, etc.

Charlotte's I-77/I-85 interchange needs its ramps rebuilt with more gentle curves, yet NCDOT never has enough money to do these things. The state's spread out population evidently spreads out needs as well (too thinly, unfortunately).

If I had $1 for every truck thats turned over at 77/85 interchange Id be rich.

^What I'll never understand is how widening I-77 between I-85 and I-277 for just an additional foot per lane (no additional lanes) can be a higher priority than actually fixing the I-85 ramp to I-77. Highway bureaucrats (FHWA and NCDOT) need to re-think their safety priority measures, if the width of lanes is a worse problem than this ramp's design.

• 3 weeks later...

This is sure to get you Charlotteans riled up: NCDOT's transportation 2040 report projects Raleigh-Durham (I assume the combined MSA's of Raleigh-Cary and Durham-Chapel Hill) to grow by 84% and become the state's most populous region with 3.2 million residents.

http://www.ncdot.gov/performance/reform/2040Plan/default.html

That said, I was amazed to see that $23 Billion will be spent between 2011-2015 on highways and bridges. Here in Georgia, I bet they won't spend 1/4 that much. Here in Metro Atlanta, they don't plan on building anything that isn't from private investors.

In less important news but still worth noting, now that University City Blvd runs into City Blvd at N Tryon, they have added "University" to the City Blvd stretch. So, no more City Blvd. Even the I-85 signs show the updated name and also a "to 49" moniker.

This is sure to get you Charlotteans riled up: NCDOT's transportation 2040 report projects Raleigh-Durham (I assume the combined MSA's of Raleigh-Cary and Durham-Chapel Hill) to grow by 84% and become the state's most populous region with 3.2 million residents.

http://www.ncdot.gov/performance/reform/2040Plan/default.html

That said, I was amazed to see that $23 Billion will be spent between 2011-2015 on highways and bridges. Here in Georgia, I bet they won't spend 1/4 that much. Here in Metro Atlanta, they don't plan on building anything that isn't from private investors.

I would like to see NCDOT's logic and reasoning for that projection though. However I think most Charlotteans take these kind of projections with a grain of salt. If it took local chambers of commerce projections into account, those aren't as reliable as it used for boosterism and I believe the NC State Office of Budget and Management wasn't always as accurate as the US Census as seen by the 2010 Census results. Also if you look into the State Office of Budget and Management, it doesn't account for Charlotte's SC portion of its MSA and CSA numbers since it only accounts for population projections within the state of NC. I guess I did get a little riled up, like I said we should take these kind of projections with a grain of salt, and especially to take a projection figure from a department that can't predict traffic count correctly nor distribute transportation revenues and priority fairly and correctly.

Edited by Shawn&Zae

If someone can accurately project census numbers for 30 years down the road, I would request that they take a few bucks from me each week and play the lottery. I'll gladly split the winnings 50/50. Those winnings could take care of some of our transportation needs too. :good:

The projections are hogwash and somethings doesn't add up. The 2009 census estimates (I haven't looked up 2010) put the Raliegh-Durham-Cary area CSA at 1.7m while Charlotte is at 2.4m so NCDOT are projecting not only a dramatic speeding up of the Triangle area but also a dramatic slowing down of the Charlotte Area?

BTW To be frank - I don't see the point of trying to strir the pot of city v city/area v area in N.C

• Like 1

The projections are hogwash and somethings doesn't add up. The 2009 census estimates (I haven't looked up 2010) put the Raliegh-Durham-Cary area CSA at 1.7m while Charlotte is at 2.4m so NCDOT are projecting not only a dramatic speeding up of the Triangle area but also a dramatic slowing down of the Charlotte Area?

Isn't the NCDOT located in Raleigh? This is the same "boosterism" from the CRVA that overinflated the projections for NASCAR HOF in Charlotte. It happens all the time.

Of course, if NCDOT is able to divert money by made-up numbers, that's very bad for the balance in the State.

Tomorrow is the last day to take the NCDOT Survey and getyour input in on the 2040 Statewide Transportation plan and priorities. I'm sure everyone on this board has $.02 to spare.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2040Plan

Done! Thanks for the link. BTW, I saw a photo of what I'm pretty sure is the Lynx line on the following website's front page. http://www.publictransportation.org/Pages/default.aspx

NCDOT's 2040 population projections across the state probably was based less on real scientific projections than merely identifying needs.

The Triangle's 4 distinct cities(Raleigh, Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill) are spread out, and they are growing through their individual popularity. Obviously they're wondering if the Triangle's 4 nodes of growth could outpace the one big metropolis of Charlotte. Also they're disregarding across the SC line, because the NCDOT only cares about its roads.

As far as "boosterism" goes, Raleigh and the Triangle have always been content as small towns/cities. There is absolutely 0% public sentiment in Raleigh for tall skyscrapers or the "World Class" moniker.

Population projections even 30 years down the road are surprisingly accurate. Usually the Census isn't ever off by more than 200,000 or so as far as state projections.

"BTW To be frank - I don't see the point of trying to strir the pot of city v city/area v area in N.C"

Everyone here loves reports like NCDOT 2040, and everyone loves demographics here also.

Edited by architect77

Everyone here loves reports like NCDOT 2040, and everyone loves demographics here also.

What did that have to do with my point of no reason to bait city vs city stuff which was specifically addressing your "This is sure to get you Charlotteans riled up:" I'm all for discussing NCDOT plans and debating funding equity but I guess I just have a distates for opening a post with a baiting line against Raliegh. It's not that city's fault.

NCDOT's 2040 population projections across the state probably was based less on real scientific projections than merely identifying needs.

As far as "boosterism" goes, Raleigh and the Triangle have always been content as small towns/cities. There is absolutely 0% public sentiment in Raleigh for tall skyscrapers or the "World Class" moniker.

Sorry but you are absolutely 100% wrong on this statement. All else is reasonable.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry but you are absolutely 100% wrong on this statement. All else is reasonable.

Just from the people I've talked who live in Raleigh, I always got the impression they prefered more of a Washington or Paris style of city, but with a bit of subrubia thrown in. Mid rise buildings with some spacing, not crammed up against one another.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Which part am I 100% WRONG on?

-Surmising about their projections?

-Acknowledging 4 distinct, growing towns comprising the Triangle?

I grew up in Raleigh so I know becoming a big city with tall buildings is the last thing on people's minds. So I'm not WRONG on that one.

Maybe I been living under a rock, but what's with all the bulldozing on south Blvd. Between west Blvd. And woodlawn? I was planning on taking light rail from east/west to woodlawn but I took the car and that traffic made me regret that choice ...

Maybe I been living under a rock, but what's with all the bulldozing on south Blvd. Between west Blvd. And woodlawn? I was planning on taking light rail from east/west to woodlawn but I took the car and that traffic made me regret that choice ...

^If the southbound outside travel lane between Clanton and Whitton, Pappas is building new curb and sidewalk per his joint development agreement with the City. Development is still not happening in this sluggish recovery, but the Pappas-led "Scaleybark Partners" group ran out of extensions to improve the edge of South Boulevard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm somewhat feeling better about the turbine interchange after seeing that visualization, I would still prefer the stack interchange. NC lacks so many elaborate highway designs compared to many other states. I drove on a turbine interchange in Tampa recently, I didn't like theirs b/c it was more compact and the ramps were all one lane. I hope ours will be better.