Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

There's a 2-lane roundabout on the backdoor to Knights Stadium -- for no apparent reason (no cross streets -- I assume some were planned):

http://goo.gl/maps/FSV

This was constructed when the area was still planned to become "Gold Hill Commons," before the recession that is.  Now that the Knights are moving the area is going to get redeveloped into something different, and the original developer pretty much has no money to do anything with the land now... So we'll see what happens, but for the time being the lonely round-about will stay just that.

http://www.providencegroup.com/properties/Gold%20Hill%20Commons/marketingFlyer/flyer.pdf

That's for SC rednecks in their pickup's to curse Obama for his stoopid policies of roundabouts for no reason. :alc:

Boooooo SC hate is so unoriginal. I always find it funny when North Carolinians refer to South Carolinians as rednecks given that NC actually has a higher percentage of its population in rural areas. Even some of the "urban" areas near Charlotte feel country (ever been to Kannapolis? Concord?).

Heh, I was just about to post that!

So does this mean that the road is pretty much going to get built? I remember reading something awhile ago saying that half of the road was going to be a two lane road (one lane going in each direction). I also wonder if this road is still slated to be a toll road.

Also, on another similar note, the state has released a new schedule for the Monroe Bypass environmental study:

http://www.wbtv.com/story/22117886/state-releases-new-schedule-for-monroe-bypass-environmental-study

If everything goes right this time, construction should hopefully start sometime early next. I have to say, it is pretty interesting how Charlotte has so many major transportation projects going on right now. It's like we're finally catching up to the Triad and Triangle in how intricate their road/highway networks are.

Edited by Third Strike

The final stretch west of 321 did not have enough expected users to warrant 4 lanes, so yes, it was planned as a 2-lane (one in each direction) highway.   That is because it will have delivered the people to the road that will take them to their South Carolina jobs and homes.    It is silly how this road continues to have life when many in Gaston County do not even want it.   It is purely a method of enriching some congressmen in a blatantly corrupt process.

Look at Charlotte on a map, do we need a freeway to Gastonia in the west or do we need one going east?  It is obvious that we already have what we need to the west, and this freeway will primarily serve to open up new suburban and business expansion in SC, which is already beating us on low taxes, so why would we build the infrastructure to subsidize that?

We do all realize the Monroe Bypass will have zero effect on the daily commute congestion on 74 right?

It'll shave a little time off going to the beach, sure. Meanwhile every morning and night the deadlocked traffic that starts in Indian Trail and runs into the city will only get worse as Union county continues its population growth. :(

The current plan is for the bypass (toll road) to come into existing 74 in Matthews, and then for there to be HOT lanes in the median all the way to Downtown Charlotte. So in theory, all of the population in Indian Trail, Stallings, Monroe, Wingate, Marshville that is north of 74 and commutes to Charlotte could have direct tolled, freeway style access all the way in. I would hope that some people would be willing to pay for this convenience, otherwise, the project is a waste of time. 

Speaking of HOT lanes - correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of those is that if you have 2 or more people in the car it's free, but if you're by yourself you have the option of paying to use the lane.  Is that right?  If so, then I'm frustrated by a lot of the people up in North Charlotte (Huntersville, Davidson, Mooresville, etc.) that are mounting an effort against the HOT lanes up here.  In my mind, having 2 additional lanes, even if some people pay for them (that have the option) is better than nothing.

Speaking of HOT lanes - correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of those is that if you have 2 or more people in the car it's free, but if you're by yourself you have the option of paying to use the lane.  Is that right?  If so, then I'm frustrated by a lot of the people up in North Charlotte (Huntersville, Davidson, Mooresville, etc.) that are mounting an effort against the HOT lanes up here.  In my mind, having 2 additional lanes, even if some people pay for them (that have the option) is better than nothing.

The HOT lanes north of Charlotte on 77 will require 3 passengers per car in order not to pay the toll. The HOV lanes currently only require 2.

Is there a map for the Bypass somewhere? It's my understanding its a horseshoe off 74, and starts/terminates outside of 485. So if you are way out past Monroe and commuting into Charlotte it may help you, but ultimately it ends right around 485? In which case you still have to sit in all the traffic between 485 and say WT Harris, where this coming phase of the freeway extension will end.

Is there a map for the Bypass somewhere? It's my understanding its a horseshoe off 74, and starts/terminates outside of 485. So if you are way out past Monroe and commuting into Charlotte it may help you, but ultimately it ends right around 485? In which case you still have to sit in all the traffic between 485 and say WT Harris, where this coming phase of the freeway extension will end.

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/monroeconnector/download/ProjectMap.pdf

It's like we're finally catching up to the Triad and Triangle in how intricate their road/highway networks are.

I go to work at 7:00 in the morning so I don't have to sit in stop-and-go traffic on I-440 every day. It's the same situation on I-40 from Clayton into Raleigh and U.S. 1 south of I-40. Raleigh roads are far from intricate. And no, I'm not originally from Raleigh and hold no partiality. Both cities need some major highway infrastructure improvements.

The HOT lanes north of Charlotte on 77 will require 3 passengers per car in order not to pay the toll. The HOV lanes currently only require 2.

Thanks.  I still don't understand people up here. Those lanes will be optional, and it's not like there will be fewer free lanes.  Considering there will be many people who drive in the HOT lanes, there will be that many fewer cars in the regular lanes.

I go to work at 7:00 in the morning so I don't have to sit in stop-and-go traffic on I-440 every day. It's the same situation on I-40 from Clayton into Raleigh and U.S. 1 south of I-40. Raleigh roads are far from intricate. And no, I'm not originally from Raleigh and hold no partiality. Both cities need some major highway infrastructure improvements.

I think that comment isn't meant for Raleigh itself, but the elaborate freeway system surrounding Raleigh. Just look to the east of Raleigh, how Knightdale and Rockymount have freeway connections to Raleigh while cities in Charlotte region aren't even connected to it by a freeway. It has been historically known that Eastern NC has benefited from the "equity formula" and those politicians used their sway for eastern NC towns and cities to have freeway connection solely based on politics and not on actual usage and need. 

Also Greensboro's freeway system is more elaborate with their maze of freeways with at least 4 Interstates being routed through it not counting those interstate spurs. Some of those routing are political or IMO doesn't make sense at all as I've lived in the Triad area while I was in school. I remember I-40 and I-85 including the new and Business 85 designations being changed over a few times because NCDOT didn't know what it wanted to do with that mess. At first I-40 was routed through Greensboro's outer loop to the south to be only reverted back to the its current route through Greensboro. 

I think that comment isn't meant for Raleigh itself, but the elaborate freeway system surrounding Raleigh. Just look to the east of Raleigh, how Knightdale and Rockymount have freeway connections to Raleigh while cities in Charlotte region aren't even connected to it by a freeway. It has been historically known that Eastern NC has benefited from the "equity formula" and those politicians used their sway for eastern NC towns and cities to have freeway connection solely based on politics and not on actual usage and need. 

Also Greensboro's freeway system is more elaborate with their maze of freeways with at least 4 Interstates being routed through it not counting those interstate spurs. Some of those routing are political or IMO doesn't make sense at all as I've lived in the Triad area while I was in school. I remember I-40 and I-85 including the new and Business 85 designations being changed over a few times because NCDOT didn't know what it wanted to do with that mess. At first I-40 was routed through Greensboro's outer loop to the south to be only reverted back to the its current route through Greensboro. 

All true. Charlotte has certainly been deprived for years. I was just amazed after moving to Raleigh how crappy many of the roads in Raleigh actually are, after hearing all my life how the roads in Raleigh are great and everywhere else is neglected.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was interesting, but there's been some talk of designating US 74 between I-26 and I-85 as an interstate (this includes the future Shelby bypass):

http://www.thedigitalcourier.com/news/forestcity/x145782038/Bypass-part-of-Interstate-vision

I guess if it does become an interstate, maybe they should name it I-226. Likewise, maybe US 74 between Charlotte and Rockingham could be labeled I-174. Another idea is coming up with a new interstate designation between Ashville and Wilmington (after converting US 74 to interstate standards, along with concurrences with I-85 and possibly I-485).

• Like 1