Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

Came across this map of the 77 express lane project. It did answer one thing that had been confusing me - at 277 express lane motorists will have the option to go onto 77-South or 277 beyond Church St. (Which honestly makes sense, if you need a location off Graham or Church, you're probably better off taking 5th/Trade anyway.)

One things for sure, I-77 all the way to 36 is going to look dramatically different by 2018. 

i77expresslanes_finalmap1.pdf

^That map graphic shows the planned locations of the project's toll gantries. Based on the map, those exiting 277 instead of 77 in Uptown would pay a bit more.

The project map also shows the planned entry and exit points. Comparing those to the adjacent free general purpose lanes (also shown on map), the access points around 485 are easily going to be the most used. But given the current congestion on 77, that was already assumed.

I think they should start to consider adding additional exits to the express lanes. to give those drivers additional access points to roads that are typically not congested.

The reversible lanes on 395 in DC can get backed up when many folks try to get from those lanes to the general purpose lanes since the speeds of the general purpose lanes are much, much slower. The same issue is also faced in Atlanta on 85 with the PeachPass. If one person needs to get to the general purpose lanes to exit ahead they have to slow down to a standstill to try and exit the road. Traffic volumes on the general purpose lanes are only going to increase through the years, so it makes sense to build some additional capacity into the system.

An added advantage is that many of these roads don't suffer from the traffic congestion of also doubling as the regional shopping nodes for each exit. Folks can get on/off the freeway and use the congestion lanes as a commuting corridor, which is what it is primarily intended.

Potential exits could be (from south to north): 

- Oaklawn Ave

- Cindy Lane

- Lakeview Road

- Alexanderana Road

- Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road

- Stumptown Road

- Westmoreland Road

- Cornelius Road

The hours for Music Factory don't really line up with freeway congestion, and if you think this project is going to affect Music Factory just wait until they move forward with their plans to remove the Graham exit altogether.   At that point it will be easier to exit at 5th and go around the horn. 

Getting to Music Factory isn't easy from the express lanes, but oh well, at least you can take the express lanes most of the way and then fight with the commoners for the last bit.

I have a feeling I-85 would be cut from any exit unless the system went further south. The main reason being that if motorists go from 277 to just 85 the system will see a dramatic drop off in cars. I'm sure the system needs to see quite a few 'all the way' commuters from Uptown to the far north to make the entire road financially feasible. If the rates spike very high due to congestion that would cause those long-haul commuters to take general purpose lanes whereas those taking it to 85 would still not care because it is not that much given the distance.

It also appears the NCDOT STIP has gone from "draft" to "current". The Garden Parkway is somehow still alive.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Planning%20Document%20Library/LIVE_STIP.pdf

NCDOT has also released the Draft 2016-2025 STIP, as well as a handy Draft 2016-2025 STIP Project Viewer. I recommend the PDFs for dates, as it appears some construction dates are missing in the project viewer.

NCDOT Strategic Transportation Investments

I noticed the half-funded Shelby bypass. I am assuming this is an example where NCDOT is pursuing road bonds for funding, as mentioned in September, to finish the project. Or maybe it really will take twenty years to build.

Edited by cowboy_wilhelm

On the topic of the Shelby bypass, I doodled the route onto the development map (which long-since left the "center city" limitation behind). Staring at it now, I have to wonder what compelled a northern route as opposed to a southern route, which seems like it would have been much more direct and dealing with much less developed area. Anyone know the history of the routing?

at the risk of restating the obvious, bypass routing decisions in North Carolina have long been driven by the developers who managed to find their way onto the NCDOT board (or lobby it effectively) -- see Bissell / Harris and I-485 or Robert Pittenger and the Garden Parkway. While I don't have any specifics about  Shelby, I would bet that two or three large landowners around the WalMart distribution center and the PPG plant had a great deal to say about the northern route. 

(thanks for adding the bypass to the map, its nice to be able to visualize)

Does anyone know what's going on the south side of I-85 between exits 10B (us 74) and 13 (the "crowder's mtn exit")? Very substantial earthwork project underway, not sure what they're doing though.

A new weigh station is being built there. http://www.gastongazette.com/spotlight/new-i-85-weigh-station-should-help-speed-way-into-work-1.302004

• Like 2

at the risk of restating the obvious, bypass routing decisions in North Carolina have long been driven by the developers who managed to find their way onto the NCDOT board (or lobby it effectively) -- see Bissell / Harris and I-485 or Robert Pittenger and the Garden Parkway. While I don't have any specifics about  Shelby, I would bet that two or three large landowners around the WalMart distribution center and the PPG plant had a great deal to say about the northern route. 

It's crazy politicians can be so obvious about it and still get elected. All you have to do to get elected in this country is smile even as someone calls you out on the soft money as Jennifer Roberts did during the debates. 

http://www.pittengercompany.com/page3.html  

Bypasses are such an antiquated idea. The first bypass obviously killed their downtown, and the new bypass will probably kill businesses along the old one. I guess the only redeeming factor is that it may not save any time since the new route is substantially longer than the existing one.

It's being reported that the new lanes of 485 between 77 and Rea Rd are opening as early as tomorrow. It also sounds like the new surface roads around the future Prosperity Church-485 exits are open and ready for the new 485 itself.

Indeed

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/12/17/5390021/new-i-485-lanes-set-for-opening.html

Google updated their aerials in maps.  485 looks great! ... as well as all the other developments around town. The density appears to have grown so much in Uptown, Noda, and South End (now that all of the recent developments are finally showing up on the maps).  Lots of foundations - can't wait for the next aerial update!.  

The satellite image was taken on Oct. 5th. That was the Sunday the Carolina Panthers defeated the Chicago Bears 34-21 at Bank of America Stadium. Look at how crowded and active uptown/South End was. All of the parking lots and streets are filled with crowds and traffic. I'm sure it's like that most games, but it's nice to see it captured on Google Maps.

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 3