Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

^ While I can understand the logic of using all lanes until they end would help with traffic flow, to me it doesn't work that way.  The way I see it is that if you have a clear opportunity to merge, at speed, earlier on, then there should never be a back up.  But it's when people wait until the last minute and "force" their way in between cars, then a car has to hit their brakes and everything slows down.  I'm probably wrong, but I still try to merge earlier while traveling at speed.

What really annoys me is when traffic in the through lanes is at a standstill and people merging in bypass everyone and go to the front of the line.  Just because they're merging in shouldn't mean they should pass everyone else by.  I know that logic is flawed, but it is still annoying.  Even more so when they go around others who are merging in, or when they continue on down the shoulder.

What irritates me even more is when you DO signal to merge people close you off.  There probably wouldn't be as many brake lights showing if people would just lay off the gas pedal a fraction in order to allow someone to merge. Alas, the South. (Born and raised a Southerner myself)

I'll also add that, I get off at Huntersville Exit frequently. Many times do-gooder truckers will block that right lane thinking I or others are planning on rushing ahead. 

Well, at least they are providing sidewalks. This will no doubt become a walker's paradise.

Can't wait to read the Charlotte Observer Comments about *insert offensively termed racial/cultural minority here* trying to run across it.

They really need to revise this project. For one, there shouldn't even be sidewalks on this road. They should treat this like an interstate grade freeway. That also includes removing direct access to the businesses off 74. If you look at the scope of the project, you will see that they will be constructing parallel roads that give access to businesses off 74 from the back. This current design is really dangerous, for both pedestrians and motorists.

You can't expect three heavily traveled lanes to merge down to two lanes seamlessly, just like you can't expect four lanes to merge down to two. I hate how the Charlotte Observer clearly states that this would 'ease traffic' when there is no indication it would. It would only cause more of a bottleneck, which would move traffic through this area slower, causing more traffic at the end of the bottleneck. 

If you don't want to sit in traffic on I-485, then don't live an area that requires you to commute to your suburban job on the corridor. If the schools, quality of life, etc, etc are all as good as you say, then that's the price of living in this area - learn to cope. 

The Observer's source for how it was ease traffic was based the guy with the facbook group page's opinion that more lanes will result in better traffic.

They seem to have forgotten the Silver Line.

Good. I never thought it made sense running in the center of Independence. Commuter trains can work in the middle of arterial roadways, but not light rail or BRT lines meant to serve the area they are passing through.

Independence for cars from Monroe and Albemarle, Central Ave and Monroe Rd for local traffic and streetcars, and the CSX line to Matthews for the Silver line and eventual commuter line to Monroe. The East side could have a wonderful and functional transportation network.

Good. I never thought it made sense running in the center of Independence. Commuter trains can work in the middle of arterial roadways, but not light rail or BRT lines meant to serve the area they are passing through.

Independence for cars from Monroe and Albemarle, Central Ave and Monroe Rd for local traffic and streetcars, and the CSX line to Matthews for the Silver line and eventual commuter line to Monroe. The East side could have a wonderful and functional transportation network.

Yeah, eastside has the best potential for mass transit. Gold Line running on Central from Uptown to Eastland, with the potential of a future extension running down Albemarle further east. Light rail running from Uptown to Matthews, running parallel with the CSX, or streetcar running on Monroe. The toll lanes on Independence would also strongly benefit the commuters in Union County, since the express buses could use them to bypass most traffic. There's also the ACWR rail corridor, which could be used for various forms of transportation, like commuter rail or even high speed rail to Raleigh. I just hope I get to live long enough to see some of this happen.

I know this is just fantasy but anyone care to put odds on the prospect of removing a portion of I-277?

Urban freeway removal is kinda in vogue at the moment and it seems like 277 may be facing some big reconstruction bills in the future?

Just wondering if discussion of the possibility is even reasonable.

I know this is just fantasy but anyone care to put odds on the prospect of removing a portion of I-277?

Urban freeway removal is kinda in vogue at the moment and it seems like 277 may be facing some big reconstruction bills in the future?

Just wondering if discussion of the possibility is even reasonable.

I would love to see that, but highly doubtful.

Well yea, I know its highly unlikely. I guess I am wondering if it is even possible. Are there any answers to questions like: Where would independence blvd traffic go? Would 277 removal make it much more difficult to access uptown jobs? Would the removal of the roadway create enough benefit to make the initial anguish worthwhile?

AFAIK everywhere that urban freeways have been removed there was a huge concern about it causing a carmageddon, however those problems never materialized. Is this begin outcome possible in Charlotte? Or would we simply shift job growth to Btyne/Raleigh/Nashville?

As much harm as 277 did to urban neighborhoods it has become a vital component to linking 77,85 & Independence. It's complete removal might do as much harm & would hinder movement in & out of uptown. We might not see retailers like Whole Foods without the access that 277 gives.

Removing Brookshire is out of the question, because it'll go under construction as part of I-77 HOT lane project. Brookshire will be partially reconstructed from I-77 to the vicinity of the Church/College exits. Also there are long term plans to reconfigure the Independence and I-277 interchange to accommodate HOT lanes already. 

I've always been partial to the idea of removing the Belk Freeway, but keeping Brookshire. I think highway access to Uptown is vital, but I really do think having an interstate loop around the CBD is unnecessary. Belk could be removed, and that alone could free up a massive amount of land between Second/Third Wards and South End. The US 74 interchange at I-77 could be modified, and Wilkinson Boulevard would instead connect to Carson Boulevard (which I think it originally did). Also, if it was economically feasible, I would bury/cap Brookshire between North Davidson and North Church Street. I think that would have helped with making development between Uptown and Belmont/North End/NoDa more seamless.

It actually makes me wonder if capping Belk would be more cheaper or more expensive than just removing it...