Arkansas Politics

Aporkalypse

Here's a nice picture yesterday at Cotham's in downtown LR. Bush was in town for a fundraising dinner for Asa Hutchinson at former NBA and Razorback Joe Kleine's house in West Little Rock.

bushasa.jpg

Incidentally, polls are showing that the Democrats seem to be pummeling the Republicans in every race in the state.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit I get fired out about some things. But I've always had a hard time getting that much into politics. I don't really see myself as either party. Although I guess overall I do tend to lean more to the left.

We're probably not much different. I started out as a Democrat when I was younger and as I've gotten older I've moved a bit further right. I tend to be socially liberal and economically in the middle somewhere, I'm generally anti-tax but I would vote taxes that will help the local community if they're within reason (ballpark taxes, jail tax, etc). I don't like either party's current fiscal policies.

In Arkansas politics I tend to be a bit more democratic but a lot of that has to do with the types of Republicans running. I liked Rockefeller and would've voted for him but guys like Holt and the Hutchinsons aren't my kind of Republicans, they're WAY too far right. NWA is producing these Bob Jones Republicans that I just don't agree with on almost anything.

I'm liberal, through and through.

Actually, I like to think I judge everything on a case-by-case basis, regardless of party. Still, most of my views lean liberal.

I don't actually like Beebe. He's almost as demogagic as Asa on immigration and gay rights.

Here at Wash U, basically everyone is liberal (or apathetic). It's kind of annoying because getting in debates with conservatives was always fun in high school. Here I tend to agree with everyone.

Honestly, I'm thinking I like the green party the most in Arkansas. I'll probably still vote Democratic.

Also, economically speaking....look at the history. Democrats have generally been at the helm when the economy was "good." Out of the past ten presidents (or is it 11), the past 5 with the best economies have been Democrat, the bottom 5 Republicans. I'm sure some would like to see it only as coincidence and/or fortuitous circumstances. I'd like to think that Democrats weren't just lucky every time.

If you view it that way, then check out how the economy is doing now with complete Republican control.

I wonder what the Democratic/Republican Numbers are for each area of the state.

Obviously NWA and Ft. Smith are more Republican, with Central and Eastern Arkansas going more towards the democratic side.

Obviously NWA is overwhelmingly Republican and the rest of the state to some degree leans Democratic but in Arkansas you have to make distinctions. Many national Democrats are way too liberal for many Arkansans while Arkansas Democratic Congressmen like Berry, Ross, Pryor and Lincoln are actually pretty conservative. Only Vic Snyder is a truly liberal. Though our congressional delegation is mostly Democratic it's not easy for "true" Democrats to win here. Only the Delta region always votes Democratic. Our Democratic congressmen are usually pegged as some of the most frequent to cross over to vote with the GOP.

Central Ark is weird. All of the peripheral counties tend to vote Republican and Pulaski County usually votes Democratic. West LR and Maumelle vote Republican. The really interesting thing to me is the Heights and Hillcrest - both are historic midtown neighborhoods along Kavanaugh built in 1910s-1940s. Both are overwhelming white and moderate to high income. However, the Heights is predominantly Republican and Hillcrest predominantly democratic, both markedly so. Even the city of LR itself is probably no worse than 60/40.

I'm liberal, through and through.

Actually, I like to think I judge everything on a case-by-case basis, regardless of party. Still, most of my views lean liberal.

I don't actually like Beebe. He's almost as demogagic as Asa on immigration and gay rights.

Here at Wash U, basically everyone is liberal (or apathetic). It's kind of annoying because getting in debates with conservatives was always fun in high school. Here I tend to agree with everyone.

Honestly, I'm thinking I like the green party the most in Arkansas. I'll probably still vote Democratic.

Also, economically speaking....look at the history. Democrats have generally been at the helm when the economy was "good." Out of the past ten presidents (or is it 11), the past 5 with the best economies have been Democrat, the bottom 5 Republicans. I'm sure some would like to see it only as coincidence and/or fortuitous circumstances. I'd like to think that Democrats weren't just lucky every time.

If you view it that way, then check out how the economy is doing now with complete Republican control.

Didn't the Green Party just become official in Arkansas not too long ago?

They didn't get enough signatures to get Jim Lendall on the ballot, so they won't have a gubernatorial candidate this year.

What I mean is that there's been quite a bit of supporters and a bit of media hype, at least up here about it. I only remember that one of the candidates has a full beard and reminded me of the "true" Ozarkan Mountainmen.

They didn't get enough signatures to get Jim Lendall on the ballot, so they won't have a gubernatorial candidate this year.

As of Wed. August 23th Jim Lendall was on the ballot. A district court judge ruled the state's new political party law unconstitutional and the number of signatures for a new party only had to equal the number of an indepentent, which is 10.000. There are four gubernatorial candidates on the ballot this year.

As of Wed. August 23th Jim Lendall was on the ballot. A district court judge ruled the state's new political party law unconstitutional and the number of signatures for a new party only had to equal the number of an indepentent, which is 10.000. There are four gubernatorial candidates on the ballot this year.

Yeah I remember hearing something about that. But I didn't know it was anything to do with the Green party.

Yeah, that was Lendall.

ZZ Top would be jealous.

Haha

Yes, his getup is pretty ridiculous. I've actually talked to the guy, and he's probably the smartest of the three candidates. (I've also talked with Asa in a question/answer session.)

Unfortunately, he won't be taken seriously because of the way he looks.

Haha

Yes, his getup is pretty ridiculous. I've actually talked to the guy, and he's probably the smartest of the three candidates. (I've also talked with Asa in a question/answer session.)

I'll have to try to learn more about him. But as you said I doubt he'll be taken very seriously from most people.

Haha

He doesn't look a whole lot different than he did 20/30 years ago. A few more pounds and grey hair is about all that has changed. They way he looks didn't keep people from voting him into the AR legislature.

He doesn't look a whole lot different than he did 20/30 years ago. A few more pounds and grey hair is about all that has changed. They way he looks didn't keep people from voting him into the AR legislature.

True, I think I saw he served in the Legislature for 8 years. One thing I haven't seen yet is where is he from in the state?

Archived