Future of Birmingham (Birmingham in 2016)

tic404

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you guys think the Birmingham Metro will be in 5-10 years..as far as population and where do you all think the sprawl will be?

I believe the population of metro Birmingham will be about 1.25 million in 5 years and about 1.4 million in 10 years.

The sprawl will continue on along 280 and I-65 south for the next 5 years. I believe we see more urban development north of Birmingham and it will begin to accelerate in about 5 years.

I believe the population of metro Birmingham will be about 1.25 million in 5 years and about 1.4 million in 10 years.

The sprawl will continue on along 280 and I-65 south for the next 5 years. I believe we see more urban development north of Birmingham and it will begin to accelerate in about 5 years.

Well, didn't the population of the Combined Stat. Area grow by like 30,000-40,000 between the 2004 and 2005 pop. estimates? So, I think that the area'll get to 1.25 as well as 1.4 sooner than you think.

Well, didn't the population of the Combined Stat. Area grow by like 30,000-40,000 between the 2004 and 2005 pop. estimates? So, I think that the area'll get to 1.25 as well as 1.4 sooner than you think.

It will be there before 5 years past. It will most likely be at 1.5 million within 5 years instead.

It will be there before 5 years past. It will most likely be at 1.5 million within 5 years instead.

I would love to see Birmingham grow at that rate. But the historical growth and 2005 estimates don't show this kind of growth.

According to the 2000 census the 8 county Combined MSA population...........1,129,721

The 2005 census bureau's estimate for the 8 county area shows...................1,170,012

That is an increase of only 40,591 over the five year period or about 8,000 per year.

I do believe the 2005 estimate is low and that is why my 2010 estimate is as high as it is (1,250,000). I also believe over the next 5 years the area will see a steady increase in the growth rate that will get us to the 1,400,000 mark by 2015.

I would love to see Birmingham grow at that rate. But the historical growth and 2005 estimates don't show this kind of growth.

According to the 2000 census the 8 county Combined MSA population...........1,129,721

The 2005 census bureau's estimate for the 8 county area shows...................1,170,012

That is an increase of only 40,591 over the five year period or about 8,000 per year.

I do believe the 2005 estimate is low and that is why my 2010 estimate is as high as it is (1,250,000). I also believe over the next 5 years the area will see a steady increase in the growth rate that will get us to the 1,400,000 mark by 2015.

Sorry, I looked at OHB's post wrong, yea, I still had 2004-2005 in my mind instead of 2000-2005. I think the 1.4 would be a correct estimate. But I think that Bham might get to 1.25 by 2008 or 09'.

• 3 months later...

The Railroad Park is under actual development, and the actual construction will start in Fall '07. BJCC expansion is dead for the time being due to those God-awful hardhead executives on the BJCC Board and their persistence to have that domed-exhibition and sports component.

Birmingham has made many strives in the last 10 years, it is now considered 1 of the top 50 largest in metropolitan areas in the country (although it actually surpassed this point in 1997). It also home to 1 of the top medicial centers in the country UAB.

However, Birmingham has A LOT of hurdles that must be cross to ever get where it needs to be at this point. I have faith that next year may be the turn for the better with the upcoming mayoral election.

I've read about it on the tech birmingham blog before.

http://techbirmingham.wordpress.com/

According to one website, Birmingham is one of the top woreless cities. That's including Homewood and Hoover as separate cities. THough, it seems to based on user imput, so I'm not quite sure how accurate it is.

http://anchorfree.com/most-unwired-cities.php (found in the blog)

Archived