RI Sept. 12th Primary Election

Cotuit

This is an open thread to discuss the upcoming primary election.

Please visit: http://www.sec.state.ri.us/vic/ to look up your voter information, candidates running, polling places, etc.

This thread as always, should remain civil. People are welcome to discuss who they endorse and why. If you know any candidates who would like to comment, they are invited to (provided they obey all other UP rules, and confine the discussion of the election to this thread).

If this topic gets out of hand, I will close it down in a heartbeat. However I do trust that everyone here can have a civil discussion about the candidates and the issues.

This thread will close after the polls close in the primary, and a new thread will be opened for the November General Election.

If you haven't registered to vote SHAME SHAME SHAME on you! It's too late to register for the Primary, but you may register until October 7th for the November General Election, do so now:

http://www.elections.ri.gov/Calendars/2006/2006elect.htm

And if you're on your way from, oh, I don't know, Arizona, you can still register for the General.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so here's a dumb question (or maybe not so dumb because i heard something that didn't sound right).

in CT (where i came from originally), you can only vote in a primary if you are registered and affiliated with a party and you can only vote in that party's primary (so if you're a registered democrat, you can only vote in teh democratic primary).

someone told me that in RI, it doesn't matter how you're registered, you can vote in any primary. is this true?

I think if you are unenrolled (i.e. not registered to either party) you can choose at the polling place which you want to vote in, but if you are registered as one or the other, you have to take that party's ballot. Also, if you are unenrolled, voting in a primary enrolls you in the party that you voted in. You then have to unenroll. In Massachusetts, there's none of this unenrolling nonsense.

I think if you are unenrolled (i.e. not registered to either party) you can choose at the polling place which you want to vote in, but if you are registered as one or the other, you have to take that party's ballot. Also, if you are unenrolled, voting in a primary enrolls you in the party that you voted in. You then have to unenroll. In Massachusetts, there's none of this unenrolling nonsense.

oh well... i didn't unenroll... i was hoping to vote in the republican primary to keep chafee. :D

And if you're on your way from, oh, I don't know, Arizona, you can still register for the General.

The interesting thing, out here, is that they've gone whole-hog for "early balloting" (voting by mail). It has greatly increased voter turnout -- but also changes the dynamic that goes on in the fall, because so many people vote early. An "October Surprise," were one to be attempted, would have a lot less effect here, because a lot of people would already have voted!

Urb

The interesting thing, out here, is that they've gone whole-hog for "early balloting" (voting by mail). It has greatly increased voter turnout -- but also changes the dynamic that goes on in the fall, because so many people vote early. An "October Surprise," were one to be attempted, would have a lot less effect here, because a lot of people would already have voted!

Urb

does that have anything to do with arizona becmoing the florida of the west?

so here's a dumb question (or maybe not so dumb because i heard something that didn't sound right).

someone told me that in RI, it doesn't matter how you're registered, you can vote in any primary. is this true?

NEGATIVE!!! My dad is Chair for the Board of Canvassers in Tiverton (I've heard enough talk about election laws at the dinner table to know... :wacko: ). If you are registered voter and declared party affiliation, you're only recourse is to vote to in the party's primary races you're affiliated with. The deadline to disaffiliate prior to voting in the primary is 30 days prior to the primary, which has long passed.

If you're registered with a political party, and you want to vote in the primary for a different political party, you're out of luck. You can only vote in your party's primary. NOTE - this does not pertain to unaffiliated voters; you can vote in any party

I can't take anymore political commercials. I watched tv for barely 20 minutes last night and must have seen Lincoln Chafee or Steve Laffey 5 times each. Does anyone ever get swayed by these things anyway? :sick:

i don't think they'd waste their money on them if they didn't... and it's shown me some candidates i'ev never heard of, which is good since i haven't lived here all that long.

i don't think they'd waste their money on them if they didn't... and it's shown me some candidates i'ev never heard of, which is good since i haven't lived here all that long.

I guess so. I'll be so sick of all this in your face politicking by November that I won't even wanna vote!

Mayor Doyle, Much Accomplished, More to Do! God, if I see one more of those signs....

I guess so. I'll be so sick of all this in your face politicking by November that I won't even wanna vote!

Mayor Doyle, Much Accomplished, More to Do! God, if I see one more of those signs....

there's some guy running for city council in providence (i think for the mount pleasant area) that has his face on the signs... i saw him putting them up. i don't wnat to see his face ever again.

there's some guy running for city council in providence (i think for the mount pleasant area) that has his face on the signs... i saw him putting them up. i don't wnat to see his face ever again.

If you are talking about the orange signs, that would be Michael Solomon running for the 5th Ward, which encompasses most of Elmhurst. He is challenging Patrick Butler, the incumbent. The race has turned quite nasty.

Check out the following link for some flavor: RIFuture blog re 5th Ward "scandal"

Everyone in Ward 13 come check out Les Papp, tomorrow night at the Regency Plaza community room at 6pm!!!! He is turning out to be a great candidate.

Yes, I went to house party for him last week, and as you can tell from my signature, I was very impressed.

Archived