What are your favorite Southern city centers (downtowns)?

Rwarky

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the downtown of Chattanooga. I've only lived here about 4 years, but have learned to love downtown. There's always something going on, and the 21st century waterfront project completed in 2005 has improved downtown even more....an aquarium addition, parks, artwork, museums, numerous new restaurants, clubs, a thousand new downtown residential units and a vibrant tourist destination have all contributed to a downtown area with few peers in the Southeast for a city its size, IMO.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Savannah, easily among the best I've been to.

I'll vote for Savannah. Think of it as New Orleans "lite": All the history, architecture & party atmosphere, without the pollution, high prices & corruption. Just one man's opinion. :P

San Antonio does have a nice downtown. I love the Riverwalk. :wub:

^^Hey Dan the Man, that's Little Rock in that photo. ;)

:lol:

Agreed, though... I loved the Riverwalk in San Antonio. And I really enjoyed staying in the Marriott Rivercenter. VERY nice hotel! As a teenager I used to base my design concepts off that hotel and it was like a dream to actually be PAID to stay there for a work-related convention some 5-6 years ago. :)

hmm...i would have to say San Antonio...i LOVED it there when i visited...its beautiful and there is plenty to do

Well a lot of people might disagree with you about S. A. being a southern city and I might also. Once you reach S. A. your officially in the SouthWest, but the river walk area is very unique.

Well a lot of people might disagree with you about S. A. being a southern city and I might also. Once you reach S. A. your officially in the SouthWest, but the river walk area is very unique.

Yea I think between Austin and S.A. should be the dividing line. Dallas and Houston are definitely Southern cities. The whole Alamo thing gives it away.

• 3 weeks later...

Yea I think between Austin and S.A. should be the dividing line. Dallas and Houston are definitely Southern cities.

There's debate over that but I largely agree with you. Trying to fit Texas neatly into Southeast or Southwest gets tricky and it really depends on whether you're throwing the whole state into one or the other or trying to draw a line through it. Like trying to decide if Turkey is European.

To me, Dallas & Houston are the "westernmost southern" cities, San Antonio, Austin, Ft. Worth are the "easternmost western" cities, with a lot of vague gray between interstates 35 & 45. San Antonio could be considered Southern in some contexts, but about as 'Southern' as Baltimore or St. Louis.

My personal favorite southern city centers? Unquestionably Houston, where I worked for 4 years, amazing architecture, amenities and potential. Dallas is a very solid 2nd, with Atlanta and Birmingham (where I worked briefly, in the News building scheduled to be demolished) rounding out my top 4. That's if we're talking "walking around" favorites. In terms of just driving through, I usually appreciated a late night drive through Baton Rouge, past the capitol and over the Mississippi; Nashville also has the beginnings of an interesting skyline. Unfortunately, I've spent little to no time in some of the classically Southern city centers, i.e. New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, Mobile, Nashville, Jackson, Raleigh.

Archived