Traffic tickets: Safety or Revenue Enhancement?

Choirboy622

I think it depends on the corruption level of the state and/or local gov't. In New York State I got pulled over twice by a cop driving on the other side of the interstate, once for no seatbelt and once for an expired inspection. And another time I saw some cops at a very crowded beach parking lot looking at all the cars. I asked them what they were doing and they said "checking Registrations and Inspections. We don't have anything else to do." In New York the corruption seemed state wide. In Missouri and Ohio, I have found that it is not as bad on a state level, but rather you will hear of small towns getting busted for illegal speed traps.

I'm sure there are some cops out there who issue tickets based on safety, but I think they are a minority.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
checking registrations and inspections is not a bad thing and has nothing to do with corruption. a person driving an unregistered car possibly has no insurance. it's also possible the car was stolen. the same goes for inspections, but that also has the added issue of being worse for the environment and a possible safety hazard on the road (depending on how in depth the inspections are, in RI, they do a full safety inspection, tires, brakes, wipers, and all that).

Archived