Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

michaelskis

Historic Aerial Photos?

8 posts in this topic

Our city just loaded our new 2006 aerial photos onto our GIS server, along with photos from 1950, and 1960. I was wondering if anyone knew of any historic aerial photos of Grand Rapids exist? (older is better)

Our city just loaded our new 2006 aerial photos onto our GIS server, along with photos from 1950, and 1960. I was wondering if anyone knew of any historic aerial photos of Grand Rapids exist? (older is better)

Michael, what is your city? The City of Grand Rapids aerial photos are from 2003-ish. REGIS should have the same ones. Does your city have both old and new available to users?

Michael, what is your city? The City of Grand Rapids aerial photos are from 2003-ish. REGIS should have the same ones. Does your city have both old and new available to users?

I work for Portage. Anyone can access our 1950, 1960, 1974, 1981, 1989, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006 Aerials from our online GIS at http://www.portagemi.gov/government/gis_mapping.asp

Kent County has aerial photos from 1968, 1973, 1978, 1984, 1989, 1999 and 2003. None of them are online though except for the 2003 photos on REGIS. You gotta go to the PDM department to see the others.

Do City vehicles like DPW, Police and fire have the ability to access that information in their vehicles?

Police and Fire does.

Other than that, any office/ person in the city with internet access can call them up.

One of the nice things with historic photos like that is it makes it easier to understand why development occurred where it did based on when it was built and the technology available at that time.

I stumbled on this webpage that has a couple of then and now aerial shots of the orginal Kent County Airport dating back to 1963.

Linky

Click on link and scroll to bottom of webpage.

Today this area is an industrial park located along Rodger B. Chaffee Memorial Drive SE just a few blocks east of Division Ave. Interestingly, parts of the old airport's runway has been reused as the road.

One of the nice things with historic photos like that is it makes it easier to understand why development occurred where it did based on when it was built and the technology available at that time.

When I was in college, my prof hired a bunch of use to do this type of map 'stitching' of Detroit so he could look at exactly those tpyes of things. Its absolutely amazing look at a city and its density over a large amount of time.