Anti-blight laws

MadVlad

My Aunt lives in Meriden, she and her husband are older, and she got a letter from the city stating that she had to get her house painted because it was peeling and in violation of the City blight statute. This got me thinking: is there such a statute in Hartford, and, if not, how easy would it be to pass through?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree with the spirit of such laws (in theory), I do feel that Meriden went a little far in this case. May Aunt is in her late 60's, my Uncle is in his 70's, and recovering from a lung removal surgery. They were surprised to get this letter in the mail. To make matters worse, they tried to have contractors come and give them quotes, but like most contractors, most didn't even show up, the others were worthless. My Uncle ended up climbing up there himself to paint it, which isn't the city's problem, but whatever...

While I agree with the spirit of such laws (in theory), I do feel that Meriden went a little far in this case. May Aunt is in her late 60's, my Uncle is in his 70's, and recovering from a lung removal surgery. They were surprised to get this letter in the mail. To make matters worse, they tried to have contractors come and give them quotes, but like most contractors, most didn't even show up, the others were worthless. My Uncle ended up climbing up there himself to paint it, which isn't the city's problem, but whatever...

Those laws are definitely needed though. As for people who cannot do the upkeep of their house, that's what condos are for. I understand about the contractors though, since so many people live in signal-unit houses in this area, they just pick and choose what they feel like doing, there's no shortage of work.

Those laws are definitely needed though. As for people who cannot do the upkeep of their house, that's what condos are for. I understand about the contractors though, since so many people live in signal-unit houses in this area, they just pick and choose what they feel like doing, there's no shortage of work.

They actually are looking at condos, but my Uncle is a stubborn French-Canadian, he doesn't understand the concept of not living in a house at his age....

They actually are looking at condos, but my Uncle is a stubborn French-Canadian, he doesn't understand the concept of not living in a house at his age....

Don't really understand that one.... Quebec is so full of multifamily units and condos... much more so than anywhere in this country...

Oh I am aware of these laws...and they are helpful if enforced. My family owns property by the proposed public safety complex and the historic building on the site was knocked down by the city 6 or 7 years ago. Ever since then the city has made sure that we cut the grass on the property and not let it get out of control. I have no problem with this although the city could take care of there adjacent properties.

With this in mind in Wethersfield there are some houses in very nice well maintained well established neighborhoods that have eyesore homes with overgrown grass, falling shutters, cracked windows, etc. and the town really cant do to much

Archived