If this area became "Bentonville metro" instead of NWA

KJW

This is a moderately interesting thread, if only because of its novelty-- at least for me-- because I used to live in both Fayetteville NC and Fayetteville AR, but never thought about that (strangely enough now thinking about it). The former city is still probably more widely known, if one were to poll people from around the US.

If one were to ask people from around other parts of the region, particularly other parts of Arkansas, I think it is still mostly thought of, or referred to as Fayetteville if not NWA, especially for older folks. Unless you are on business with any of the big three, people I think still tend to generalize the term Fayetteville for the rest of the area, if referring to a city at all, and if not referring to it as NWA. Even if you are technically not going to Fayetteville, period.

As far as the original question, I don't think the premise would ever come to being, so to speak. Would a city that 'loses out' on something that would 'put it on the map' be upset-- sure. But as long as the big four cities have something to identify themselves with-- whether a corporation, university, shopping destination, etc., and as long as these (and smaller cities) are still competitively positioning themselves for growth and economic expansion (i.e., shopping, tourism, etc.), I don't see one city dominating others. Even if culturally, in the minds of those outside the metro area.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's city, then there's town, then there's rural, then there's Bella Vista. It is a village after all. That's been changing though with the addition of a Lowes and a first school. They may end up incorporating into a "city" which would destroy BV as we know it. I don't have any pics of BV, but it's extremely hilly up there and the most you'd see is a couple houses and a lot of trees. But hey they do have a 6-screen (?) movie theatre.

I own a bunch of lots there that I did not buy from Erik Estrada! I think it's a nice area. Not real exciting. Very hilly and wooded, quite pretty. A bunch of small lakes and golf courses. It was created as a retirement community/vacation community, but thanks to Wal-Mart is now much more than that. The big problems with BV are that it is not a city or town, hence gets no funds from the state to do anything. Also, the traffic is horrendous heading south. It all bottlenecks on 71B before you get to the bypass. And if you live in the Gravette school side of it the schools are kinda sucky. The Bentonville side has good schools. Last, there's little public sewer there. Everything has to be on septic pretty much. I like BV as I have done very well there in terms of appreciation. My wife grew up there but we helped her parents move the Fayetteville as it is just more fun!

Archived