Growth of Ann Arbor Suburbs

wolverine

Since I have a car now in AA, I've been able to drive out to the burbs a few times to the mall, home depot, etc. Since traffic is insane, I typically avoid the major roads. I'm really surprised to see most of AA's 'suburbs' are made up of large apartment complexes. There's hardly any single family homes, especially in Pittsfield. There are some nice rowhouse developments that are sort of on a street grid, but a lot of it is still twisty roads that don't make sense. Does anyone know where I can find info on why Ann Arbor lacks a lot of single family homes in its suburbs?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I should have clarified myself because all of the above are suburbs. But I was more talking about attached suburbs. It seems like you have to drive through a few miles of cornfields to get to most of those communities. But yes, there's tons of single family homes in communities like Saline and Chelsea. I'm just surprised areas just outside the city limits like Pittsfield don't offer this type of development when it seems like everything within the city limits is a bit overcrowded.

That's possible. Although despite a good bus system, I would think it to be very inconvenient to be able to get to campus from out in the suburbs. If you have a car, you may be able to get reasonable parking on campus during after hours. Otherwise, it would cost about $3200.00 per semester for a permit that doesn't even guarantee you a space. Anyway, the rents are pretty high within the city. I'm renting an apartment in a subdivided house. Conditionwise, it's on par with the craphole apartment I had in Harlem, NY for 3 months. The electricty needed upgrading badly, there's a cracked window, the whole house shares central heating, and the guy in the basement smokes weed all the time.... :w00t: I had to repaint the damaged walls and refinish the floor myself (not to mention clean it six times over when I moved in) and I pay about $715 a month. I know some AA students have a lot better, but typcially not much better unless it's a newer apartment building which has a higher rent and share it with other people. I could easily get much cheaper in the burbs, but I'd be trapped out there.

Archived