Car-Free Hanover Street

Cotuit

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever happened to the idea of extending Hanover and Endicott Streets back into the city? What is going over the old expressway? I have never cared for the isolation created by the hideous ewxpressway and had always hoped that this great urban mistake could be fixed. Now that the expressway is gone, I hope there will be something to re-connect the North End to downtown. I suppose the removal of Government Center is too much to hope for.... :) A restored Scollay Square would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

First I would like to say I love Boston's Little Italy. Little Italy in NYC is great but it is being taken over by nearby Chinatown. Boston's Little is awesome!

Anyway I know when I come to the city I always take a cab close to Hanover Street or walk over to Hanover Street depending on where I am staying because I know how hectic and busy the street can get.

I think it would be great if the street were closed....Hanover Street has not become what Mulberry Street is like in NYC which is pure chaos with on street parking, gridlocks and thosuands of pedestrians. Maybe Boston can work to prevent that.

I do though worry about people who may not want to walk over to Hanover Street. I for one dont mind and im sure many people would probably tell these people to stay in the suburbs but we want everyone coming to Boston.....

So I guess its a two sided issue

That's why I call it Little Chitaly.

Thats pretty good!!

I just returned from Little Chitaly actually from the San Germano festival which takes over Little Italy in NYC for two weeks. This reminded me of the festivals/feasts they have in the summers on Hanover St

Archived