Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cotuit

Car-Free Hanover Street

9 posts in this topic

1157185641_1091.jpg

Hanover Street piazza bid has legs. Plan would close route to traffic. [Boston.com]

Proposal would close part of Hanover Street to traffic intially on weekends. If plan works it could be permanent throughout the week. Is this a good idea for the North End?

Whatever happened to the idea of extending Hanover and Endicott Streets back into the city? What is going over the old expressway? I have never cared for the isolation created by the hideous ewxpressway and had always hoped that this great urban mistake could be fixed. Now that the expressway is gone, I hope there will be something to re-connect the North End to downtown. I suppose the removal of Government Center is too much to hope for.... :) A restored Scollay Square would be nice.

I like it in a certain context, the street would be so much easier to walk and not get stuck behind slow people.

But Im not sure how the atmosphere would be without cars...

Personally, I think it would turn it into too much of a mall than a vibrant neighborhood, not that it isn't taking on that character already. It needs the cars to keep some sembalance of being a neighborhood.

First I would like to say I love Boston's Little Italy. Little Italy in NYC is great but it is being taken over by nearby Chinatown. Boston's Little is awesome!

Anyway I know when I come to the city I always take a cab close to Hanover Street or walk over to Hanover Street depending on where I am staying because I know how hectic and busy the street can get.

I think it would be great if the street were closed....Hanover Street has not become what Mulberry Street is like in NYC which is pure chaos with on street parking, gridlocks and thosuands of pedestrians. Maybe Boston can work to prevent that.

I do though worry about people who may not want to walk over to Hanover Street. I for one dont mind and im sure many people would probably tell these people to stay in the suburbs but we want everyone coming to Boston.....

So I guess its a two sided issue

Little Italy in NYC is great but it is being taken over by nearby Chinatown.

That's why I call it Little Chitaly.

I cannot think of anyone, other than a local or an adventurist, who would ever attempt to drive down Hannover St. Even if you are perfectly comfortable driving in Boston - it's just not a pleasant experience.

That's why I call it Little Chitaly.

Thats pretty good!!

I just returned from Little Chitaly actually from the San Germano festival which takes over Little Italy in NYC for two weeks. This reminded me of the festivals/feasts they have in the summers on Hanover St