Opinions about Alabama and Birmingham

Opinions of Alabama  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion about the state?

• A good one
    • An OK one
    • A bad one
    • No opinion
  2. 2. What do you think about Birmingham?

• Definitely re-invented itself from its past.
    • Has done better than they did in the past, but still has a long way to go.
    • City has gotten better, but definitely needs to improve more than it has, has a really really long way to go
    • Hasn't done much to improve itself from its past, but it's better than it was, but just the slightest bit.
    • Hasn't done anything worth noting to improve it self.
    • Not a very nice town IMO.
    • No opinion
  3. 3. How do you view Alabama as a whole?

• Mainly agricultural, not much, if any, urban areas
    • A good balance between urban and agricultural
    • OK economy, but still mostly agricultural
    • Mostly mechanical, but still a lot of agricultural, a little urban
    • A lot of urban areas, also a lot of agriculture, some mechanical
    • A large mix of urban, agriculture, mechanical, and aerospace
    • Some big medical things (but not many), a lot of agriculture, some urban, and a lot of mechanical
    • Major medical happenings, big economy, mechanical jobs, agriculture, and aerospace
    • Pretty good economy, good medical research, nice growth, still a lot of agriculture, big in aerospace, and scientific research
    • A leader in scientific research, one of the leaders in medical fields, one of the leaders in aerospace, and a lot of agriculture and mechanical industry
    • No opinion

I'm opening this to everyone cause I want to know what everybody thinks about Birmingham, and Alabama as a whole. I admit I have a slight stereotype that Northerners think that Alabama is ghetto and horrible, I know that's certainly not what I see when I drive down I-565. But, as many of you have not driven down that stretch of road, I'd like to know your opinions.

Also, give any ways that you think we could fix things or do better in the Heart of Dixie. :D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've gotta say I'm not very qualified to answer because I've never been to Alabama, nor even close to it for that matter. Whatever its reputation within the Deep South, elsewhere in the country it's still viewed as a place that is rural and backward. Many think it's a place in which anyone who isn't a white, straight Christian would feel immediately uncomfortable or even unwelcome. I'm sure it's an out-of-date stereotype/image, but it holds. I think most people in the country put Alabama in the same category as Mississippi, West Virginia, and Pennsyltucky. Like JDC said, "My Cousin Vinny" hit a lot of Deep South stereotypes on the head. Because this is the information I have to go on, I definitely wouldn't think of Alabama as being "ghetto," but rather country. What is it that you see on I-565?

I've gotta say I'm not very qualified to answer because I've never been to Alabama, nor even close to it for that matter. Whatever its reputation within the Deep South, elsewhere in the country it's still viewed as a place that is rural and backward. Many think it's a place in which anyone who isn't a white, straight Christian would feel immediately uncomfortable or even unwelcome. I'm sure it's an out-of-date stereotype/image, but it holds. I think most people in the country put Alabama in the same category as Mississippi, West Virginia, and Pennsyltucky. Like JDC said, "My Cousin Vinny" hit a lot of Deep South stereotypes on the head. Because this is the information I have to go on, I definitely wouldn't think of Alabama as being "ghetto," but rather country. What is it that you see on I-565?

The test stand for the space shuttle prototype, the full scale Saturn V Rocet stand up, and the actually unused Saturn V Rocket laying on exhibit, and the second largest research park in the US (4th in the world). Just a few things :D

Haha, but yea, what I'm looking for is opinions of Alabama, I don't care if you've ever been to Bama or not, I just want to know what the basic thought about the place is. I know that some people have stereotypes, some of them are true, some of them aren't. But no matter what your opinion is, I want to hear, I like to know what people think, even if it's bad. If it is bad, it means that there are things that we now know about that we need to improve upon, or get better at. So, all opinions are appreciated.

i've heard the skies are so blue.

i've also heard that, in birmingham, they love the governor.

seriously though... i don't know much about alabama other than what i've seen in movies and heard in songs. but i picture the deep south stereotypes and think of it as a very rural place.

I consider Alabama to be the Heart of Dixie along with Mississippi. I really like the Gulf Shores area alot! Mobile' waterfront/downtown is having a nice revival+ they have a cool tunnel ! :thumbsup: The RSA Tower is very impressive, many larger cities would love to have it in their CBD. The northern half of Alabama is nice and hilly, very beautiful. Huntsville has the Space Industry. Birmingham is a medical mecca in the southland. I-65 between Mobile and Montgomery is as secluded as it gets. Beautiful rivers in Alabama. And a GREAT FOOTBALL STATE TOO ! So much tradition. Roll Tide, except against the Tigers. :D

When Forrest Gump was refering to Greenbow is think it was really Greenville.

If I ever had to move out of my home state, I would have to seriously have to consider Alabama. Very friendly people in general there too.

I would have to say that my opinion about Alabama is that is a very rural and extremely conservative state. I know there are some high-tech happenings there, and some good schools, but that doesn't overide previous opinions.

Also, being a gay man I wouldn't feel comfortable there. Many other Alabamans that I've met who are gay have helped me form that opinion.

Please... Alabama... please stop with the Robert Trent Jones commercials!

I've never been to Alabama but man the stereotypes run through my head. But hey, it's not Mississippi. I imagine In the Heat of the Night, although I forget where that was set, but the country roads... dirt roads, and the people, sweaty, sticky, shiney, simmering in the summer heat.

I know one place isn't better in this regard in the South, but for some reason, Alabama and Mississippi stand out as places, based on their pasts as being a place inhospitable to some folks. Like if I approached the border, a gang would rush out, put me in chains and ship me to a plantation. Sorry.

My impression of Bammer is that it's an extremely beautiful place, especially up north in the mountain ranges, but short on education. We do especially enjoy the Southern Living Magazine, though, which IIRC is published in B'ham. I've always wanted to sightsee there though, and maybe see the Mississippi Delta while I'm at it.

I'm just gonna run through somethings about the state, they'll probably surprise you, some you might alreayd know, but most will surprise you.

*Two schools in Alabama were ranked in the Top 50 Public Highschools in America. Auburn High School, and the Jefferson County International Baccalaurette School. The JCIB School was ranked #2 overall.

*The University of Alabama at Birmingham school of medicine is ranked as number 25 in the overall ranking of all U.S. Medical schools.

Here is a list of up to date accolades:

-The School of Nursing is ranked 19th.

-The School of Medicine is ranked 23rd, two spots higher than the previous year's ranking.

-Five medical specialties at UAB are ranked in the top 20 nationally by the magazine:

--AIDS, 4th (up one ranking);

--women

You've gotta be kidding :blink:

That's really where the original name came from, that and the dark soil. You have to realize that this place was named during an era of a lot of civil unrest. But now, the name is more of the dark soil where most of the state's agriculture takes place. Of course, when your economy is most agricultural like it is there, there isn't much prosperity.

That's really where the original name came from, that and the dark soil. You have to realize that this place was named during an era of a lot of civil unrest. But now, the name is more of the dark soil where most of the state's agriculture takes place. Of course, when your economy is most agricultural like it is there, there isn't much prosperity.

I believe the origin of the name. What I can't believe is that a name for an area that is so blatantly and disgustingly racist still passes for Kosher because "well, the dirt is black too, so we can keep calling it the ni... i mean black belt." <_< IMO, as Alabama's biggest booster on here you're not helping your cause too much with this!

I believe the origin of the name. What I can't believe is that a name for an area that is so blatantly and disgustingly racist still passes for Kosher because "well, the dirt is black too, so we can keep calling it the ni... i mean black belt." <_< IMO, as Alabama's biggest booster on here you're not helping your cause too much with this!

Haha, I'm being honest though. Seriously, you don't even understand how much the kids at my high school make fun of the Black Belt.

You also have to realize, North Alabama and the Black Belt are two completely different regions. They couldn't be more different. We up here have a much higher quality of life than most places in the country. An extremely low cost of living, and great education. The same goes for nearly everywhere else in the state except for the Black Belt. The Black Belt is more like Mississippi, no offense towards'm. But, every state has its bad parts, some are worse than others, some are better.

The Black Belt isn't what it was though. I didn't say that the region was still named because of the people that live in it. The region is much less poverty ridden that it used to be, the poverty level has decreased dramitically over the past year. It's gone down by I think 4% or more. We still have the 12th lowest jobless rate, we're doing much better.

I'm just accepting the past, I can't do a think about it, the best I can do is try an make it better when I get older. You can't commit do fix the future unless you accept what your people have done wrong in the past.

I mean, come on, no need to apologize to Mississippi... you know studies have shown they come in last on just about everything...

Yes, but they are a neighboor. A poor neighboor. Without them, UAB wouldn't get near as much business at the Medical Center. Miss. doesn't have any extremely good medical centers.

Yes, but they are a neighboor. A poor neighboor. Without them, UAB wouldn't get near as much business at the Medical Center. Miss. doesn't have any extremely good medical centers.

This thread is slowly starting to appear like a "boosterism" thread, and a State vs. State thread, all at the same time. It's lifespan is slowly dwindling.

Haha, as much as I hate to admit it, the name was originally created because that's where most of the African Americans in Alabama lived. But now, that's not a true as it was, and now the term comes from "the black soil".

As a native son of Alabama who grew up in a border county to the Black Belt, you've got that backwards. The term Black Belt was FIRST applied b/c of the rich fertile BLACK soil of the area. It is where cotton was king, thus a majority of the slaves were brought to this region. Later the term was used as a racial statement. Don't believe me, then check it out here.

"the term was first used to designate a part of the country which was distinguished by the colour of the soil."

Second I do think you are incorrect about Huntsville passing on the option to have mission control there. I'm not sure if H'ville was ever really in the running for moving mission control from VA to TX. It was mainly a political move and Bama just didn't have the clout that TX did especially w/LBJ being VP at the time. Here's a link that sorta tells the story of how Mission Control came to Houston.

I'm just accepting the past, I can't do a think about it, the best I can do is try an make it better when I get older. You can't commit do fix the future unless you accept what your people have done wrong in the past.

No offense to you, but I think that's one of the biggest cop-outs I've ever heard. Regardless of how impoverished, backward, or rural this "black belt" region is, the name alone is at best reminiscent of its racist roots and at worst offensive. The "black soil" argument to me just seems like an excuse to keep using the racist name. However black the soil may appear, the connotations to racism and Jim Crow are still there, and I'm sure it's something residents of that area have been living with. Why can't it be the corn belt or something a bit less of a continuance of a racist past?

I know you can't change the past, but by holding onto some not-so-nice remnants of it, you're not on your way to creating a better future. Some things from the past are better off changed. That's why progress is often a good thing.

Sorry to make such a fuss over this but I just can't believe that in 2006 this stuff still passes for Kosher, even in Alabama!

As a native son of Alabama who grew up in a border county to the Black Belt, you've got that backwards. The term Black Belt was FIRST applied b/c of the rich fertile BLACK soil of the area. It is where cotton was king, thus a majority of the slaves were brought to this region. Later the term was used as a racial statement. Don't believe me, then check it out here.

"the term was first used to designate a part of the country which was distinguished by the colour of the soil."

Second I do think you are incorrect about Huntsville passing on the option to have mission control there. I'm not sure if H'ville was ever really in the running for moving mission control from VA to TX. It was mainly a political move and Bama just didn't have the clout that TX did especially w/LBJ being VP at the time. Here's a link that sorta tells the story of how Mission Control came to Houston.

Well, I did have an African American teacher that taught my Alabama history, so, I dunno, it coulda been bent. Of course, time could've also contributed to the reasoning. So, it's up in the air. :D

I always remember my grandfather telling me that when he worked at Marshall in Huntsville, that NASA had come to them requesting that they be the place for Mission Control because that was where most of the "blue prints" resided for the spacecraft.

But, I dunno, could you be more specific about where it says in that link about Mission Control and the basis on which the location was chosen? cause I didn't see it

No offense to you, but I think that's one of the biggest cop-outs I've ever heard. Regardless of how impoverished, backward, or rural this "black belt" region is, the name alone is at best reminiscent of its racist roots and at worst offensive. The "black soil" argument to me just seems like an excuse to keep using the racist name. However black the soil may appear, the connotations to racism and Jim Crow are still there, and I'm sure it's something residents of that area have been living with. Why can't it be the corn belt or something a bit less of a continuance of a racist past?

I know you can't change the past, but by holding onto some not-so-nice remnants of it, you're not on your way to creating a better future. Some things from the past are better off changed. That's why progress is often a good thing.

Sorry to make such a fuss over this but I just can't believe that in 2006 this stuff still passes for Kosher, even in Alabama!

As Poonther says, I'm possibly wrong. But, as I am not of voting age, I can do nothing. At the moment, the term is used because of the color of the soil. I don't associate it with anyone that lives there. Some of my best friends are African Americans, and my best friend is Hispanic, so, I'm not racist. That's just what the region happens to be called, and it's a nationally designated region that stretches through different states.

I've actually met two guys from Alabama though, and they were totally normal dudes. They were students at Montevalo, not much different from guys I might have met anywhere else, except of course they had ridiculous southern accents.

Archived