Murfreesboro Media

Justiceham

16 members have voted

1. 1. Does Murfreesboro need a professional local news station?

• Yes, I'd like to know more about what's going on where I live
    • No, Nashville stations do a great job as is
    • I'd rather read the newspaper anyway

Does Murfreesboro need its own local professional news station? Current media include the Murfreesboro Pulse, Daily News Journal, Rutherford A.M., 1450 WGNS, MTSU, 88.3 WMTS, Murfreesboro Magazine, Cable Channel 3, Channel 10, Channel 19, etc. What do you guys/gals think?

Edited by Justiceham

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I honestly rarely watch local news on TV, so I can't speak to the Murfreesboro coverage on Nashville news stations. While it would be cool to have a station that focused on Murfreesboro news, it seems like it probably wouldn't be a successful venture. Murfreesboro's growing quickly, but I don't think we currently need a news station. Besides, Nashville provides us with our local affiliates for the big networks. It would be redundant to include another one here in Murfreesboro. Maybe a better solution would be to have a half hour show on one of the Nashville stations that focuses on Murfreesboro news.

The only way a TV station would sprout up in Murfreesboro is if one in Nashville was sold and they moved. Which would put them further away from their sources of income, the sponsers. It is highly, highly doubtful a commercial TV station could gain FCC approval to operate here due to the proximity to Nashville and the TV market overlay. Radio, same thing as TV. The Nashville market is where the money is at, its the higher profile market, and you are easier to identify with it.

This comes from someone with over 6 years in the radio/tv business.

The Los Angeles metro has around 14 million residents in it, consisting of 4 (or is it 5?) counties and yet the only major news stations that serve the metro are based in LA....when Orange County, with a population of 3 million and an increasingly independent economic and cultural force, doesn't even have its own TV stations, i seriously doubt that murfreesboro needs or could even support one....

Besides, have you watched the Nashville stations? There's hardly enough news to cover anyways.

The Los Angeles metro has around 14 million residents in it, consisting of 4 (or is it 5?) counties and yet the only major news stations that serve the metro are based in LA....when Orange County, with a population of 3 million and an increasingly independent economic and cultural force, doesn't even have its own TV stations, i seriously doubt that murfreesboro needs or could even support one....

Besides, have you watched the Nashville stations? There's hardly enough news to cover anyways.

I watch them all, but I particularly like the News Channel 5 Network. They seem to do the most coverage and even have urban shows on channel 50+. I'd have to disagree about there not being enough news to report, lately theres been a lot going on. In Murfreesboro this week alone there were two murders and plans released for a new Judicial center. Was it reported on tv? No, and I won't even begin to speak about all the stuff going on in Clarksville either.

Edited by Justiceham

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Add to our media another news paper, the Smyrna A.M. Here's the link below

http://www.my.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll...ory=MICRO050101

Smyrna has plans for a new Demos and another Publix. I think this will be a good thing, and now Smyrna can't sneak projects on me like the Smyrna Commons site.

Also, 1450 WGNS now had two FM stations, 100.5 and 101.9. Nice being able to pick up WGNS in Nashville, esp. the Monte Hale Show at from 4:05 to 5:20 pm weekdays.

Blue Raider Zone-- Come Join Us on the Scout Conglomerate