Publix

Relient J

Here's a link to an article posted Sunday to the Web page of the Daily News Journal:

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../609030328/1002.

If built this would be the second Publix to come to Murfreesboro. A tiny picture of a rendering depicting a possible look for the new store is included with the article. According to the article it may eventually be located at the corner of St. Andrews Dr. and New Salem Hwy. The first Publix to come to Murfreesboro will be located at the corner of Old Fort Pkwy and Rucker Ln. The article also mentions the possibility that more Publix stores will be coming to the Boro.

As a former Floridian who already loves Publix, I am very excited to see them come to our city. We seem to be mostly a Kroger town (I currently shop at Kroger usually), and it will be good to see another big chain come to town. I just hope one day they build a Publix near my house!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first real job in high school (in Atlanta) was working for Publix. They do a great job of instilling work ethic in teenagers. They teach loyalty to the customer and responsibility as an employee, and if you don't meet those, you can always work at Kroger!

I was thrilled when the Smyrna Publix opened. Yes, I will occasionaly visit the Kroger and Wal-Mart. But if I just need to run out and get a few things, I don't check the ad's. I just go to Publix

Yeah, I worked at Publix in Smyrna for a short while part-time and they are more expensive than Kroger. At least in Smyrna they were. I don't really consider them in the same class as Kroger, as Publix strives to keep it ALL fresh while Kroger just throws it out there and hopes it sells to some poor soul who knows no different. LOL!!! Google Image search Publix and compare their stores to Kroger and there is a HUGE gap between the two. Some of the Florida stores have won design awards for use of land and urbanity/design.

Edited by Lexy

• 3 months later...

Does this mean that they will be converted into Publix stores?

They will be turned into Publix stores, so yes that is correct. I was talking to the Assistant Manager of the Smyrna store and he was telling me about it back before Thanksgiving. Exciting no doubt!

They will be turned into Publix stores, so yes that is correct. I was talking to the Assistant Manager of the Smyrna store and he was telling me about it back before Thanksgiving. Exciting no doubt!

thank you lord, i love Publix. I am stationed here in Jacksonville,FL and your only grocery options are Publix, Winn-Dixie,Wal-Mart,Super and regular Target, and you neighborhood markets. Can we get rid of Kroger, that yankee company needs to go back north and since TN is in Dixie, bring Winn Dixie up here, they just came outta bankruptcy, so its all good

thank you lord, i love Publix. I am stationed here in Jacksonville,FL and your only grocery options are Publix, Winn-Dixie,Wal-Mart,Super and regular Target, and you neighborhood markets. Can we get rid of Kroger, that yankee company needs to go back north and since TN is in Dixie, bring Winn Dixie up here, they just came outta bankruptcy, so its all good

I like Publix and am glad to see it coming, but Kroger has long-standing hold in Murfreesboro going back to a store in the downtown area years and years ago. I don't think they'll be going anywhere anytime soon.

It looks like Publix has bought the BI-LO grocery stores on Memorial and Northfield. The DNJ posted an article yesterday on their Web site mentioning it. You can see it here:

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...NEWS03/61209006

Does this mean that they will be converted into Publix stores?

Interesting... I didn't know that BiLo had any stores in the NSH metro. I think they own the Chattanooga market, and some of the stores are actually decent. But they're not Publix.

Have you guys in Nashville seen any changes in the Kroger stores since Publix moved in a few years ago? Just curious b/c there was a big push to update stores in ATL. It's quite natural not to spend money unless/until you have to.

Edited by ATLBrain

Interesting... I didn't know that BiLo had any stores in the NSH metro. I think they own the Chattanooga market, and some of the stores are actually decent. But they're not Publix.

Have you guys in Nashville seen any changes in the Kroger stores since Publix moved in a few years ago? Just curious b/c there was a big push to update stores in ATL. It's quite natural not to spend money unless/until you have to.

They've been remodeling the older stores and opening new ones to combat it...Their sixth Murfreesboro location is going in right now.

Also, there were BI-LO stores in Franklin and Lavergne but I think they were both sold to Southern Family Markets a while back.

Edited by MurfRez

The North Nashville Kroger on 8th has been cleaned up and refurbed a bit.. still, they don't have any competition and there doesn't seem to be much incentive for them to really upgrade. We keep hoping for Publix to move into the neighborhood.

All of the Kroger's have been updated in Murfreesboro. I especially like the fact they have a Natural Foods section. Publix seems to be on the natural bandwagon, too. I spoke to a manager at one of the local Kroger stores and the Harris Teeter has been cancelled on Rutherford due to bacteria being found on the land. I believe otherwise $$$$$.

All of the Kroger's have been updated in Murfreesboro. I especially like the fact they have a Natural Foods section. Publix seems to be on the natural bandwagon, too. I spoke to a manager at one of the local Kroger stores and the Harris Teeter has been cancelled on Rutherford due to bacteria being found on the land. I believe otherwise $$$$$.

I agree. I just don't understand how they let themselves get that far along and then realize it.

By the way, does anyone know what the land cleared at Northfield and Tennessee is for? There's a Vision sign out front, but I've not read a thing on it.

I used to work for Bi-Lo in Knoxville and in Murfreesboro while going to school and I thought that their stores were far better than Kroger. There stores seemed to be well kept and up to date. And Royal AHOLD was a good company to work for. The Knoxville stores were sold to KVAT, Inc. aka Food City. Too bad there aren't going to be any in the area anymore. Also, Bi-Lo carried many specialty foods [foreign brands] that I don't think you could find at any other store...perhaps it was because of the company's Scandinavian roots.

• 4 weeks later...